Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Type-F is recommended for original cork facing clutches. Dextron for newer GM facings. I don't think Dextron in the short term will harm anything if you just topping off. Better than running it low or dry.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 8:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Kev! I keep a case of Dexron III around for my 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood which has a rear seal that leaks like a sieve even though rebuilt decades ago. The long rest wasn’t good for it. Having that and knowing it won’t actually hurt the Ultramatic will save a day if a trip into town isn’t needed.

Incidentally, I posted a very short video of the odd sound when the engine is revved up a bit. Any idea what it is? It’s not a sound I’ve ever heard in a Packard. The other noise all the way through is the flex fan but the noise it question is at the very end.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 12:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That grinding noise?

Hmmm, almost sounds like the starter bendix kissing the flywheel. See if your starter is maybe loose? Weird that you only hear it when goosing it.

Otherwise trying to think what else that could be.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 14:04
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
ARe you use the flex fan isnt flexing too much under acceleration and scrapping the radiator?

Posted on: 2021/3/10 14:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It sounded like the Bendix to me too which was my first thought and I suspect you’re right but seemed to be coming from the other side the back of the engine. Of course, sounds like that can travel! That’s why I wanted another pair of ears (especially ears that work better than mine) to hear it.

Definitely not the flex fan as it’s been in there for decades and has had much use but certainly a good thought. This used to be an everyday car and the flex fan really helped in stop and go traffic driving to work although this engine was really never prone to overheating.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 14:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a pinion shift starter so make sure the spring is in good condition and there is no congealed lube or other bind point that might be preventing the solenoid plunger from retracting completely when the solenoid is off. Also verify nothing electrical is being fed back in the start circuit to partially engage the solenoid and try and pull the plunger in a tiny bit. It is also possible the detent which holds the pinion and Bendix parked on the shaft could have failed allowing the pinion to vibrate out. It does almost sound like the pinion is moving outward slightly just enough to touch the flex plate teeth. You might pull the bottom bellhousing cover and see if any shiny places looks fresh and also check the parked distance between the pinion and flex plate.

Also, what about the motor mounts. Could they have possibly deteriorated and allowed the engine to move slightly. I think I see a tiny bit of a shiny wear pattern on the radiator core like the fan might have touched it at some time.

Posted on: 2021/3/10 15:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
BigKev mentioned the fan too but I believe those marks have been there for years. However, I will check today when I go out to the shop to be sure as I hadn’t thought about the possibility of motor mounts. I don’t see much movement of the engine as I revved it gently rather than gunning it.

I’ve been waiting for it to warm up a bit but it’s a balmy 41 now so time to go out! I have plenty of stock fans (I don’t know if any are postwar, though!) and will change it anyway eventually but I don’t want to ruin the radiator in the meantime.

The pinion with caked grease or weak return spring are more likely causes so I’ll check them out too but not on this visit as I won’t have the time. The first section of insulation (west 1/4 of the shop) is due the day before I leave, then I’ll need to quickly get the car back inside so don’t want it get it stuck anywhere! I had hot wired it after disconnecting the body feed so no possibility that anything is electrically activating it.

Woke up to snow this morning but only a little and it’s mostly gone by now. The Patrician is outside now but this is not the first time it experienced snow as one time many years ago in Santa Clara, CA there was about an inch of it.

Sticking in another photo for no particular reason other than that’s the general direction I have to walk to get back to the house which is beyond the trees at the center and the driveway is just visible at the upper right of the back window. It’s very volcanic here so few trees are larger than these. Incidentally, I have both tail fins (and several extras) along with the backup lights and a pair of NOS backup lights too. I also have a set of NOS backup light lenses by themselves.

Attach file:

jpeg  46E140F2-497A-4B5A-90E8-62A95B3CF7CB.jpeg (462.25 KB)
60923_604937ba2aa7f.jpeg 1600X1199 px

Posted on: 2021/3/10 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the big spark I saw initially when connecting the battery, I had then disconnected the body feed and hot-wired it for starting. There are two wires. One by itself which I believe is for the headlights and the other for everything else and when I touch the former to the battery connection on the solenoid, nothing happens but if I touch the latter, there is a large spark, the solenoid clicks and the starter tries feebly to turn! I never saw that happen before.

Now trying to add some fluid to the Ultramatic once I figure out how to remove the cap! They must have put it there, then built the car around it! I think I can just reach it if I remove one end of the shifter.

I think I see what feels like brake fluid on the bottom of the chassis but I believe it is only spillage from the filling and pressure bleeding.

Posted on: 2021/3/12 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I wanted to be sure I would be able to get the Parician back indoors before I leave next week but, as it did not want to readily move forward, I added about two quarts of fluid. Working outside on gravel and dirt, I did not check the level but will do so once I can get it onto the lift and I’m sure it needs several quarts more! I actually drove it around the “block” (most of which was on family property) and nearly all gravel roads and it seemed to drive well. Still a little sluggish on the transmission though!

This is the first clear day since I’ve been here which really warms up the shop even when chilly out.

Attach file:

jpeg  EEE00C12-124D-43F2-B5EF-92C44BAA5B53.jpeg (220.62 KB)
60923_604c081f6dd56.jpeg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2021/3/12 19:32
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don, I have heard of adding fluid to those Ultramatics from inside the car. Apparently there is an access plate on the floorboard just in front of the seat. Remove the plate and it will expose a vent. Remove the vent and fill from there. No idea how to check the level using this method. Easier than crawling around in the gravel.

Posted on: 2021/3/13 12:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved