Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 121

curpack, DM37, humanpotatohybrid, 56executive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree that paying almost $1200 in expenses a year to be stressed over this forum does not make me a Happy Camper. So lets us try to get along for the Holidays at least.

Now back to the conversation at hand....

Here is picture of the pedal arrangement on my '54 Clipper, with Ultramatic (Gearstart), and Manual brakes.

The pedal is indeed vertical. Looking at how the pedal is constructed there is no easy way to rotate it without some cutting and rewelding. So I would imagine that in at least 1954 this was original.

I am curious about a small piece of metal that is hanging off the back/side of the accelerator pedal.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.41 KB)
1_4b30415ddcd69.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.83 KB)
1_4b3041c012de8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/12/21 22:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
The pedal is indeed vertical. Looking at how the pedal is constructed there is no easy way to rotate it without some cutting and rewelding. So I would imagine that in at least 1954 this was original.

There is no way to rotate it. The pedals at least back to '37 are all the same construction, at least on Junior cars. I'm thinking that the drawing is either of an optional pedal, (unlikely) or an artist with a poor sense of proportion. (most likely)

Posted on: 2009/12/21 22:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the drawing is correct. Prior to 55-6 parts book, there was only one pedal option and was same for both clutch & brake. All 55 & 5640-60 also used that same one. Then came a separate pedal with a 56 number to be used with Ultra for 5640-60. Since normally standards were not installed on the senior cars, that is probably why the number didn't extend to 5680. Seems to me, that sounds like they did make the change for 56. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I am curious about a small piece of metal that is hanging off the back/side of the accelerator pedal.

Kev,

Thank you for your patience! You should get a medal, or a personal endorsement from Job himself.

Re the metal strip on your accelerator pedal. It appears to have been attached with a screw, and I can only guess what it might have been put there for.

My guess, based on an old '48 Dodge pickup that I used to drive, is that the pedal started to creep over to the right side. I am not making this up. The rod that the pedal is connected to can, over time, bend, because the foot-to-pedal angle usually pushes the pedal to the right and stresses the metal rod.

A strip of steel on the right side could rub against the transmission tunnel just enough to push the pedal back to the left, and make it hit the rod at a straighter angle.

This is my honest attempt to address the question, even though it may seem like I'm pulling (or pushing) somebody's leg.

If I really wanted to pull your leg, I'd've gone with my first impression--a home-made mechanical rev limiter.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 23:39
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I was going to guess some kind of guide the driver put on to keep his foot on the pedal instead of flopping over toward the tunnel and pressing against that instead but 55 PackardGuys explanation is as good as any. Think we can all agree it wasn't stock..

Posted on: 2009/12/21 23:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yeah I have no idea what it is for. I know when I got the car the main throttle return spring that runs vertically along the firewall on the drivers side of the engine was missing, and it had a small spring attached near the carb. Perhaps it was there to keep the throttle from getting stuck full open. I have no idea. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt there for some reason I never thought ok. If it was on the brake pedal then I would think it was for some aftermarket brake light switch.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 23:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Well I heard back from Mike Dulinski in Duluth. He now has 95 parts cars from 55-56 and not a single one of them, not one, has manual brakes. They must have been rare indeed. So I'll most likely use an aftermarket pedal assy.

However, Mike did give me an idea on how to use the stock suspended brake pedal. A rod pinned at the brake pedal going to an aftermarket brake pedal shaft that's cut and pinned to the rod. This should compensate for the different arcs of the suspended pedal and the pedal shaft coming up from the pivot point. It could work. We're going to get together at the shop after Christmas to lay it out. I'll take lots of pictures and post them as we progress.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 0:25
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would find a '51-'54 manual brake car and adapt that, it would be a LOT easier than trying to fabricate everything. This way, you only have to fabricate a few things, lol!

Posted on: 2009/12/22 0:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is what the '54 Manual Brake pedal setup looks like. As you can see the pedal pushes backwards and then via a pivot it pushes the rod forward into the Master Cylinder that is mounted right behind the steering box. Not sure what pivot does as far as changing the pedal ratio.

The clutch and brake share the same pivot rod.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/12/22 0:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi guys,

sorry about the lack of updates, not much has happened in the way of examining the brakes, we have been occupied with the 34 packard. We have now got the 34 running great, the fenders have been repaired on the 55, they look fantastic, all the bog has been removed and panels made and fixed up, they look like new. Soon in the new year we will pull the engine out and then take the BTV out but it will get there, again sorry I haven't got more news

Cheers,
Mat
P.S. Hope everyone has a great new year 2010 we'll get all these Packards working... well, we'll try anyway

Posted on: 2009/12/30 6:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved