Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 35 »

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just wondering if there are timing relays available that can carry enough current to obviate the need for the relays up on the fender.

Just run the signal from the arm switch through the limit switches, to the timing relays located in some convenient place. They would power the motor up and down.

Posted on: 2023/4/18 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
You might want to do a bit more research on what else will be needed in the circuit when using the 555 as the TL timer solution. As I recall, the 555 is somewhat sensitive and needs a fairly clean power supply or else operation becomes very erratic or chip doesn't work at all.

Auto electrical systems of that era are inherently "noisy" because of all the switches, coil and other ignition components, and even the generator brushes sparking. That activity is broadcast or directly connected to the same wiring used for voltage distribution so is picked up and carried all over. Evidence that by the various filter capacitors that need to be added at specific places to keep most of the electrical "noise" from being picked up and becoming static on the radio. You would probably need to add some conditioning directly to the power going into the chip.

Also, in that diagram the the load is shown as only being an LED which typically needs on average about 10ma to work. I don't know offhand how much current the 555 can directly power but depending on the relay used, you will probably need to have the timer chip trigger a transistor stage with the transistor being capable of carrying the current needed for the relay coil. The transistor stage will require a few components and the relay coil might also need conditioning so the back emf when the magnetic field collapses is not sent back to the transistor and damages it.

I went ahead and ordered a couple of stand alone timer relays that MIGHT work. Won't know for sure until they get here which should be tomorrow. If you can hold off a few days until I can test them it may be an easier solution. If they don't work then you can go to Riki's friend and see if he will make you a proper circuit assy or back to researching the 555 timer with only a bit of time wasted.

For anyone interested, here is an example of what is meant by electrical noise as shown on an oscilloscope. The heavy center dark line is ground, the heavy line at the top of the square pulses is 12v. On a clean power supply those lines would be extremely straight and much narrower. Notice the roughness in these lines along with the small spikes above the 12v line and the very large ones in the dashed box below the ground line. That is noise and in this case is caused only by the instrument voltage regulator contacts operating. Imagine what all the other switches could do when added to what is from only one component. Solid state circuitry can not work with that kind of activity on the power supply so various means of conditioning input voltage is required..

Yes I can wait! The fact that I know what needs done is a big weight lifted off my chest. The next step for this car is replacing suspension bushings that I hope to start in the next week or so.

Posted on: 2023/4/18 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If someone has the Gerber file or even a schematic with component listing, a solid state controller would be something I would love to make for my 1956!

Posted on: 2023/4/18 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I.ll have to look at other picture

I don't think a 555 is used

Posted on: 2023/4/18 15:53
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Here is the relays I bought

Attach file:

jpg  20230418_135520_(1).jpg (344.61 KB)
4498_643f04109996b.jpg 1473X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/4/18 15:56
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
What the circuit board does

It uses transistors as a switch.

Which starts the timing .

Only thing on the board are diodes and resistors.

And 2 capacitors.. One for each timing circuit.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 2:17
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Just wondering if there are timing relays available that can carry enough current to obviate the need for the relays up on the fender.

Just run the signal from the arm switch through the limit switches, to the timing relays located in some convenient place. They would power the motor up and down.

Ross, this is an interesting idea. A question would be how many would consider that approach and want to eliminate or bypass the solenoids rather than just having the relays work them as the conversions are now made.

In a 55 bulletin Packard said the motor under normal conditions should pull about 17 amps and installed an inline fuse of 20 amps. In 56 they upped the fuse to 30 amps. The contacts in the cube type relays Riki and I are considering are rated at 30 amps. One question with relays as the main switching device would be if the motor stalled and pulled max current which would go first -- the fuse or would the relay contacts weld and then the fuse decide to blow. The small safety margin might be a consideration. Any larger relays will be expensive and harder to package

For a 56 making the TD relays external and wiring them would be relatively easy. For a 55, because of the limit switch configuration, maybe a bit harder. In either case, the control box would still need to be opened and the original bimetal timer and relays removed or at least bypassed. Cost wise, with everything needed cube type TD relays would probably be less than the reworked solid state boxes alone since the relays and additional things needed are not that expensive.

One thing I am concerned about with mounting the TD relays inside the control box is space and placing them in a weathertight box mounted on top of the control switch might be feasible no matter if they still operate the solenoids or work the motor directly. Pin layout is the same as the typical cube relay but the case is longer and it requires mostly gutting the control box to fit them inside. The conversions with timer board must use a much smaller relay. No idea about the contact rating on those relays.

Anyone have comments on either approach and whether relays should be in or could be tolerated if outside the control box??

Posted on: 2023/4/19 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As one who prefers authenticity but is not adverse to hidden modernizations, solid state innards would be the way to go. Of course, it would take two different designs for 1955 and 1956 due to the former being positive ground which has been the issue I have with the solid state voltage regulator I’m working on.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 14:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree on the need for a polarity difference . The nice thing about using the relays is all it will take is swapping two wires on each relay to have the proper configuration.

What I am trying to do now is figure out the best location for the relays. Ideally the conversion would be simple enough that it could be DIY for those who cannot or do not want to buy the ready made units. Not sure DIY will be an option if they are mounted inside due to the space needs of the relays.

Speaking of ready mades, since the project page and info on the switches is completely missing from the PNW region website I am not sure where or if the exchange conversions are even available anymore to refer if someone is in need of one.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The picture I posted

I didn't notice that a contact is missing.

After these years I noticed it.

Little pissed off. Since I sent an all around good box..

Not sure if I want to.. But Cutting the relays of out the plastic cover.

Might work for inside the box. The ones they used are same size.

They glue relays so the contacts are up.

I would go Ross's route. With circuit breakers.

Resetting type. Maybe..

Posted on: 2023/4/20 9:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved