Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

39Rollson, packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Soft brake pedal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I've been doing the bleeding the conventional way having a helper push in on the brake pedal. As for the master cylinder, I "bench bled" it on the car using the vacuum to pull the fluid through till there were no more bubbles.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:09
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What I think was happening on mine is because of the angle, air floated to the top while fluid dropped and was pushed out. I think an air pocket was still present near the piston. I had to almost turn the thing upside down and get the outlets on the upper side so air could exit.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I've little experience with automotive brakes, but on aircraft often the preferred method is to pump fluid up from the brakes to the reservoir, pushing the air out in reverse. Is that possible on car brake systems? We use a pressure pot, but you can do it with an oil can and a hose to the bleeder fitting at each brake.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 23:16
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you're not able to get the pedal somewhat firm with a proper vacuum bleed, then there's a leak in the system. The system is closed from the master to the wheel cylinders, so for the pedal to go down, either fluid goes out or it's not completely full of (incompressible) fluid (i.e.air in = spongy usually). When pedal pressure is released, then back flow occurs as the springs release. So leaks in can happen on that part of the stroke as well.
Fluid can bypass the master back to the reservior and not be observed. If you're getting air leaking in, then you'll get water at some point. I'd look hard at those corroded areas and determine why. You may have to replace some parts to get a firm pedal as the fluid to metal seal can be compromised with pitting.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Jim,

The two things I did that started this whole "fiasco" were: letting some fluid out of the passenger side rear wheel cylinder and, loosening the connection of the hard line to the rear brake hose because the rear hose was twisted. Once I did those things I bled the rear brakes to remove any air from the system. After doing those things is when I noticed the brakes had become soft.

So... Being that I replaced those leaky rear wheel cylinders with new ones; I think those can be ruled out. So then the question moves to the brake hose. Did I compromise its integrity by allowing it to be twisted? I will say this, I did notice a tiny bit of fluid around the connection between the hard line and hose a week or so ago. But that seemed to be fixed by tightening it up a little more.

This is one of the most perplexing problems I've had with this car. Should I try getting a new brake hose?

Thank you,

Posted on: 2014/3/3 14:45
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Should I try getting a new brake hose?

No, you should be getting 3 new brake hoses!! Never take a chance on a questionable or old hose, especially if it was kinked.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey guys,

Okay I'm very confused and at a loss. I've looked up the rear brake hose for my car at Napa, O'reilly, and Autozone. Each website has the length of the hose listed at 17.625" inches. However, the actual physical size of each of those hoses is 16.5" inches. WHAT GIVES!?!?!

The measurement of the hose I had on my car is over 17.5" inches; as the sites have indicated. The hose I have was supplied by Kanter. What part number's do you all have that work? I pulled the NAPA part number from the parts X-Ref.

Thank you,

Posted on: 2014/3/5 18:11
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An inch or so one way or the other makes no difference in the performance of the brakes as long as the hose doesn't bunch or get cramped with the suspension fully upwards, and is long enough to remain free and unstretched/unrestricted when the suspension is fully downwards.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Here are a couple photos of the rear brakes prior to any mileage; with the Raybestos wheel cylinders that I had to replace. Ross

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (93.09 KB)
3628_531a1b957583e.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (84.71 KB)
3628_531a1b9f8c0d3.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:19
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that, one way or another, a large amount of water got into the system. One the fluid reaches it's limit to absorb water (which isn't much), any remainder will form a separate component and since it's more dense that the brake fluid itself it will end up residing as a separate layer at the lowest portions of the system, the wheel cylinders and perhaps the lowest static portions of the master cylinder.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved