Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 221

BigKev, kevinpackard, Packardbarry, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Torsion Level System
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Maybe the body rubber.

Is causing the uneven wheel covers.

Posted on: 2021/10/3 20:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I think I'll make a pin that is 5.0" long, which seems like it would make it #4.5 or so pin. I'll check the bushing that Howard pointed out before installing the pin.

Posted on: 2021/10/4 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I made the pin and have removed the one that was on the car. I've been trying to remove the ball and socket that are in the old one. I've tried soaking, pounding on the outside of the pin, and heat. I'm open to any suggestions.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
See if gerry Psw. Has them

Posted on: 2021/10/5 18:30
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I lay them across the anvil of my vise and pound the pin mercilessly with a big hammer in the area where the shank of the end is pressed in. This eventually stretches the softer steel of the pin to where I can pull them out.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Ross - I like your approach. When you can't get the part out the pounding is a great therapeutic for the frustration that is building up within.

Posted on: 2021/10/6 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Per the old saying don't use force get a bigger hammer

Posted on: 2021/10/6 14:16
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The bushings in the arm looked OK. When I would push up and down on the front end of the car, both sides seemed to go up and down together.

Well, I got a bigger hammer and it worked. I made two pins one at 5.0” and the other at 5.25” and I think the fix is going to be closer to the 5.25”, but I’m not sure if that’s too long and more than the suspension can tolerate.

I want to share how I removed the old pin. Of course, I didn’t have a J-6065 tool so I improvised. I put a piece of chain around the arm and bolted it together. I then connected the hook from a coil spring compressor to one of the links above the arm. I fed the 5/8” threaded stock from the compressor through two pieces of steel that were sitting on top of the upper A Arm. With a nut on the 5/8” threaded stock I took up the slack in the chain. I jacked up the car per the STB and everything worked as expected.

Attach file:

jpg  Parts Coil Spring Compressor.jpg (415.56 KB)
1063_615e5a955fd97.jpg 1123X1920 px

jpg  Chain Around Arm.jpg (226.52 KB)
1063_615e5ac3dad90.jpg 1809X1684 px

jpg  Top View Threaded Stock.jpg (114.42 KB)
1063_615e5b054f1ad.jpg 944X1920 px

jpg  Threaded Stock through Steel Bars.jpg (203.28 KB)
1063_615e5b20b035f.jpg 1880X1920 px

jpg  5 quarter Pin.jpg (208.18 KB)
1063_615e5c3d43b06.jpg 1869X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/10/6 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I tried to install the new pin and was unable to do so. The distance between the top and bottom is too close. How can I increase the distance between the points on the lower A Arm and the arm on the TL system?

Posted on: 2021/10/7 15:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the chain is holding the load arm as hight as the J-6065 tool would then about the only thing left would be to remove the top rubber rebound bumper to let the A arms drop a tiny bit farther down.

If the rebound cushions are the kind that have a stem with a groove and is held to the frame by a steel clip sort of like brake hoses use located under the hole then you could probably remove and replace the cushion without damage. If it is the kind where there is a sort of arrow shaped knob on the end of the stem that is compressed and forced thru the hole when installing the cushion would most likely be damaged on removal and need a new one to replace it.

Posted on: 2021/10/7 16:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved