Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Marty or Marston, Momof5MC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: V-belt for 1947 356
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
clipper47, let me know if you need a "polish boy" to keep the car wiped down when you display it at Meadowbrook and Pebble Beach. I'll pay my own expenses.

John, I don't think I will need a "polish boy" but a nice nubile blonde 20year old swedish girl would be nice.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I'll still pay my own way.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 18:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Et Al: The Ulrich v-belt arrived in the mail today. Excellent service from John. IT FITS!!! For those who are curious, the dimensions are: 1" wide and 53 1/4" o.d., and it is of a notched design.

The belt rides slightly above the water pump pulley. Any belt with less than this o.d. will not fit. It was somewhat difficult to install. I moved the generator up against the engine; looped the belt over the vibration damper (front pulley) and generator pulley; then, with a long screw driver between two of the fan bolts, rotated the water pump pulley so the belt would slide in. The generator tightening adjustment is about the center of the strap. Just right. I don't know how I will get it off, probably reverse the installation steps. The pulley groves are deep and the belt is wide which make it hard to install. All's well that ends well.

One more thing: Kevin, the parts cross reference for the v-belt application needs to be deleted. It is wrong.

I think this thread has taken up enough bandwidth. Good bye, and thanks to all who tried to help.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.09 KB)
565_4af5fb92504c8.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2009/11/7 18:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I think the answer as to how you would get it off-is what keeps Urlick in business!!! AS I am finding out!!

David

Posted on: 2009/11/7 18:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, The belt, being a modern notched design, looks to be a belt with other applications besides a 356" Packard engine and very similar to the one in my Packard except for the length. Does Mr. Ulrich have them specifically made just for him or is their a more common application I wonder? In any event I am glad you finally found one which will fit as packard intended. The NAPA belt in my car wasn't much less expensive than what Mr. Ulrich charges so it was the best choice rather than fabricating the little extension that my car is fitted.
BTW is that a copper gas line or brake line along the front frame member and is that a rubber gas line as well?

Posted on: 2009/11/7 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There is only two main belt manufacturers, Gates and Goodyear. One of those two has to make it, and it would be available commercially. Let me do some research and I'll get back to you all on this, as I'm going to need a couple too, eventually.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 20:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Aren't Ulrich's belts still made with the Packard logo and part number imprinted? They were last time I saw one. I suspect they are made for him under some exclusive deal.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I certainly don't blame Mr. Ulrich for not revealing his source but that cogged belt looks suspiciously as though it also has other applications which might be less costly if we can track down a source although John gave it a pretty good effort and came up dry. Sometimes I have found that Canadian sources have items the US suppliers don't carry so I will try here with the dimensions John provided.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The cogged belt just screams industrial application to me, since it's so wide. They put the cogs in there so the belt will run cooler.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "cogs" also permit the belt to conform to tight radii.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 22:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved