Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: 1955 Clipper Customs w/o TL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
John, why not buy a '54 Clipper and put a V8 with a 4 speed in it? Best of both worlds for you.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
John, why not buy a '54 Clipper and put a V8 with a 4 speed in it? Best of both worlds for you.

Eric, that is an enticing idea and one I have thought about. Lots of 51-54 cars to choose from. Do the engine and transmission swap, radius the rear wheel openings, install some nice wide bucket seats, neat wheels and tires, and other modifications would make it an attractive and unusual car. The downside would be modifying another Packard. So, I'll leave this for others, and go with a '55. Could be fun though ...

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/12 18:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:

Eric, that is an enticing idea and one I have thought about. Lots of 51-54 cars to choose from. Do the engine and transmission swap, radius the rear wheel openings, install some nice wide bucket seats, neat wheels and tires, and other modifications would make it an attractive and unusual car. The downside would be modifying another Packard. So, I'll leave this for others, and go with a '55. Could be fun though ...

IF I can get ahold of a '56 Clipper T/L chassis I'm putting one under my '48, but I'm keeping the straight eight, upgrading to a 356 and overdrive though.

I've thought about rebuilding the old 374 out of my old '56 Patrician and putting it in the '48, but I really like those straight eights. The 374 is still under the bench in the garage, so IF I decide that I won't want to spend so much rebuilding another 356 for the '48 (one's already going into the Speedster, it's first) I'll build a mild 374 with a 4bbl and a 4 speed for the '48.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...now, 55 years later, the V-8 forum is full of people looking for help in trying to solve problems with their T-L systems.

Well, where else would people turn to solve problems with the T-L if the answers they're looking for aren't in the shop manual? After all, PackardInfo is the best place to "Ask the Man Who Owns One".

Quote:
...the load leveling part is the trouble maker.

If you purchase a T-L car that was serviced by a good, hands-on owner, you should have little trouble. If a problem does arise with the leveler, this system has something that modern cars with ALC lack - an underdash cut-off switch. When the electrics do act up, I haven't had any trouble finding parts or help in repairing them.

Still, if you want a '55 Clipper without T-L, why not settle for a Super? From the outside, the Super doesn't look that much different than the Custom, but interior upholstery does. Engines are different - 225HP vs. 245HP (less than 10%), but you say it will only be driven lightly.

It's your choice, but it could be a long wait before you find a '55 Custom that was built without T-L.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I do have to admit that I took a '56 Patrician out of a field and did NOTHING to the T/L system but rewire it where the rats ate the wiring and replace the motor shaft bearing and it worked perfectly. Total outlay? $5 for the bearing. Did it work all the time? Yes, and I absolutely loved the looks I got at gas stations when I filled it up and the thing goes "wiiirrrrrrrr" and the a$$ end of the car levels out. People think it's aftermarket, and I just look at them and say "it's factory, it's supposed to do that".

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
FWIW, my experience with TL over about 14 years is 100% trouble-free. A couple extra points to grease when doing a chassis lube, that's it. However, the car was never off the road, abused, or neglected - always been owned by Packard lovers.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The guy who jumped from car to car looking for the hottest performer, or the most up to date styles, or advanced chassis design would have abandoned Packard years before Torsion Level came out.

I can quite easily imagine an old timer who had been buying Packards for 20 years, demanding a Clipper Custom with the coil and leaf spring suspension, and wondering why they stopped making the flathead engine too.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I can quite easily imagine an old timer who had been buying Packards for 20 years, demanding a Clipper Custom with the coil and leaf spring suspension, and wondering why they stopped making the flathead engine too.

That sounds like "he-who-shall-not-be-named".

"WHAT??? No V12 Packard for '56???"

Posted on: 2010/1/13 4:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I know of a 56 Pat with a shot body, stripped of all trim, and no drivetrain but with a good frame and intact T/L, however it's in VT, unfortunately... kinda far from Kansas, Dorothy.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I know of a 56 Pat with a shot body, stripped of all trim, and no drivetrain but with a good frame and intact T/L, however it's in VT, unfortunately... kinda far from Kansas, Dorothy.

I know of one of those too, up at my mom's place. Only it still has the drivetrain in it. Pretty close to me, Guido.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 13:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved