Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: 15% Ethanol
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
For God's sake don't show that picture of pigs flying to our Congressmen...they'll run over each other chasing that pork!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 22:02
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
People gripe about performance and lost power, but actually you can gain power if you tune the engine right and increase the compression ratio.

So, increase the compression ratio, update the rubber components in the fuel system, and advance the timing a little and you should be good to go. Oh, and you can run a hotter spark plugs that will help as well.

Do you have a simple, inexpensive way to do this?

Quote:

HH56 wrote:

EDIT: As to the Hydrogen, there was a splashy announcement when the guvinator took office that he has going to have fill stations up and down the state. As usual, politics and money got in the way. As far as I know, only a few experimental cars are running around--usually in a convoy with press coverage--& there is a fill station only here or there. As I understand it, the car mfgs have seen no need to push the program aggressively or make the cars, the fill stations are expensive and no cars to take advantage of them and oil co's are working against it. There was a plan to require a significant number of cars sold here to be low or zero emission by a certain date, but that was watered down -I think to almost nothing- because someone would have to pay for it and no one wants it out of their pocket.

Can you tell me how the oil companies are working against this? By not financing it? By not promoting it?

Posted on: 2010/10/27 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Depends on your idea of simple and inexpensive, but yes, yes I do.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 17:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Depends on your idea of simple and inexpensive, but yes, yes I do.

Simple = not removing and machining the head
Inexpensive = less than the cost of replacing the pistons with hi.comp. pistons. Are they even available.

But I'd like to hear your solution regardless of cost and/or simplicity.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Add a turbo.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 17:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Both not financing and not enthusiastically supporting. Not hearing of much action, there was a followup status interview a year or so later with some of the people that appeared when the program and media blitz happened right after the guv took office. Cost of technology, lack of funding and interest was given as reasons it hadn't moved much.

One of the petroleum companies that was mentioned originally as being a participant pretty much said then (2-3yrs ago) his company was currently not participating in the program because of the cost. Went on to say there were cheaper and more proven alternatives his company was looking at. Last I heard, there is only one fill station locally and that is in conjunction with a federally financed grant with buses and some city fleet cars. No idea how much mileage one gets but don't think there is anything for the public between northern and southern Calif and that's a pretty long stretch.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 18:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Both not financing and not enthusiastically supporting. Not hearing of much action, there was a followup status interview a year or so later with some of the people that appeared when the program and media blitz happened right after the guv took office. Cost of technology, lack of funding and interest was given as reasons it hadn't moved much.

One of the petroleum companies that was mentioned originally as being a participant pretty much said then (2-3yrs ago) his company was currently not participating in the program because of the cost. Went on to say there were cheaper and more proven alternatives his company was looking at. Last I heard, there is only one fill station locally and that is in conjunction with a federally financed grant with buses and some city fleet cars. No idea how much mileage one gets but don't think there is anything for the public between northern and southern Calif and that's a pretty long stretch.

I wouldn't say this is 'working against' it. It would seem to me that some enterprising company or companies would make their own stations and infrastructure that specialize in hydrogen. This way everyone that hates the big oil companies, and everyone does, won't have to be dependent on foreign oil, big oil companies, or even domestic oil. Of course that might not work if there are too many standards. Gasoline, Ethanol, Methanol, Hydrogen, Electricity. Hmmmmm, maybe it will be easier to stick with gasoline for a while. Now if I could just find some with no alcohol in it.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 18:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe, but I look at it as they have the transportation, distribution and low level infrastructure facilities already in place for the most part. Production by the most common method apparently is already in large part a byproduct of oil refining.

It would be relatively a slam dunk for them cost wise compared to any one else--and in all probability their costs would be minimal in the big picture and could be written off anyway. By not enthusiastically stepping up and embracing it, sends a strong signal--almost as much as if they took out ads against.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Of course they don't want hydrogen implemented, it would take away all the oil sales that they presently have now.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote: "dependence on foreign oil". A phrase that has been so widely used for so long that Americans have some way come to believe that forign countries are the only PHYSICAL source of oil. Foolhearted.

Such a dependence can be stopped in 90 days:
Drill for the oil here in the US. Let it start rite here. In my front yard. As long as i get my cut of the profits let it start rite here. With me.

The so called "dependence on foriegn oil" is a mass synthesis of infinite cost and disfurnishment to a blind populace.

Hydrogen, windmills, solar, computer controlled engines, ethonol ..... i mean that laundry list of shit nonsense goes on forever and at a constant exhorbitant cost to JQ public.

The oil is HERE in the US. lets get the oil rite HERE.

Prov. 22:7

Posted on: 2010/10/27 21:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved