Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: BTV replacement
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is the puller I used for my rear drums. It is an old "Bluepoint" one and must way nearly 20lbs.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.93 KB)
1_4de93dc21e291.jpg 445X529 px

jpg  (61.96 KB)
1_4de93dd1667c1.jpg 765X768 px

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi Kev,

That looks similar to the type used in the service manual and exactly what I need... pity I live approx 6K miles away... though my car spent most of it's life near your neck of the woods.

Dave.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, that interesting that you car spent some of it's life around here, and I was born and spent some of my life about 250 miles southeast of you! :)

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That brake pedal arrangement shown in photo 100-0636 looks absolutely hazardous to me - like an accident waiting to happen. The pedal is so far removed from the position we all anticipate and expect that the extra time it will take to lift you foot and move it over and down to the pedal can result in quite some road travel distance before the brakes are even applied.

The reason Easamatic had shorter stopping distances than conventioned brakes had nothing to do with the hydraulics or friction materials, it was that the reaction time from pedal to pedal was so much less.

I encourage you to find a better solution with a pedal location that more anticipates a driver's normal reflex action.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_dyneto Quote:
That brake pedal arrangement shown in photo 100-0636 looks absolutely hazardous to me - like an accident waiting to happen.

Dave,

I don't know where you've been the last eight plus years when the subject of relocating the pedal position to get 3:1 leverage has come up! Here's the pedal in my 55 Pat, which has been that way since Feb 2003:

Resized Image

I won't rehash the pros/cons, but it has never presented any problem for me or the many who have driven my Pat over the years including several PackardInfo members and a few unwarned random valets in Las Vegas.

HH56 has an elegant solution which keeps the pedal pad in about the stock location, but his is somewhat more complicated than mine and is not yet on the road, as far as I know.

Quote:
The pedal is so far removed from the position we all anticipate and expect that the extra time it will take to lift you foot and move it over and down to the pedal can result in quite some road travel distance before the brakes are even applied.

Certainly not if you left foot brake! But, I suppose you don't heel & toe with a manual transmission either.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Bozonono

I believe you posted the supersentive brake problem in another forum a few weeks ago. Several of us said that it sounded like you have grease on your linings. I presume you have examined them and have found them to be OK

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Dave,

I understand what you are saying and it may not be the most elegant solution but as per Craig's it works and took very little getting used to. The car isn't my daily driver I couldn't afford it to be with the price of gas in UK so does very limited miles to a few shows a year if I am lucky. Some day I may change this all out again for a dual circuit combined master/booster unit perhaps from another vehicle available here and redesign the pedal some other way. Maybe someone will ultimately produce a direct bolt in replacement for the BTV but I doubt it very much. Until then I used what was available to me as I was fed up with having a car I couldn't drive at all.

Kev,

That is a coincedence wonder who has aged the best.. I was also born about 250 miles south of where I live in N. London...

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
HH56 has an elegant solution which keeps the pedal pad in about the stock location, but his is somewhat more complicated than mine and is not yet on the road, as far as I know.

It's not on the road yet because the AC is a work in progress--and only progresses when I feel like messing with it -- between other projects. New carpet is coming--minus a cut brake hole. When that gets here, will put the dash carpet piece in place. By then I hope to have finished the AC case & can mount it and put the car back together. Then will test the brakes and decide.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.58 KB)
209_4de9713d729e4.jpg 640X750 px

jpg  (41.13 KB)
209_4de971459160d.jpg 640X700 px

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave,I don't know where you've been the last eight plus years when the subject of relocating the pedal position to get 3:1 leverage has come up!

Craig - I've been here and followed it right along. Just the first time I chose to comment on it.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved