Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 22nd Series Seats Restoration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Gary Marshall wrote:.......did they ever do a light green ?
Gary,

In the '54 Photo Archive found some pic's of Packards with light green paint.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.41 KB)
226_4cdefe1abe90b.jpg 1024X640 px

jpg  (96.63 KB)
226_4cdefe297af3f.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/11/13 16:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Heres some from the Packardinfo pics, 48 cream and 51 white. the white leather seats from a 48 convertible.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.83 KB)
3217_4cdf598293f02.jpg 640X427 px

jpg  (84.98 KB)
3217_4cdf599dbde54.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/11/13 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
back seat from 48 super eight convertible

Attach file:

jpg  (47.26 KB)
3217_4cdf5a399cc36.jpg 1024X686 px

Posted on: 2010/11/13 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Mal, that light green not so bad on a convertible. Looks like a Orchard Green ? I think the closet Packard ever did to mint green.

Mal, In austrailia, how do you find driving your packard? On those dusty roads there(countryside), i guess you use radial tires ?

Also, do you keep to origional color, even though you strip complete frame? I know proffessional restorers dip there car frame, check quality of frame, then prime and paint.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
This is the color iI was origionaly thinking of, a mint green, this one from a 1948 Chrysler Windsor Convertible.
I quit like that Orchard Green you posted Mal.

Of all Colors it will come down to

Mint Green
White
Packard Ivory
Orchard Green

Every inch of paint will be removed, inside and out. So dashboard no problem. I want to injoy this car, so I will pick one of these colors mentioned.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.24 KB)
3217_4cdf69eae7d92.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/11/13 23:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Gary Marshall wrote:.....Mal, In Australia, how do you find driving your Packard? On those dusty roads there(countryside), i guess you use radial tires ?

Also, do you keep to original color, even though you strip complete frame? I know professional restorers dip there car frame, check quality of frame, then prime and paint.
Gary,

Street and Highway driving is fine, even though my '41 120 Coupe is LHD in a RHD environment. Have turn indicators installed as well as a mirror either side to assist the driver with visibility. I try to avoid dirt roads although on our recent National Rally when following a Packard navigating using a GPS he led a couple of us along a dirt road for several miles! My tyres are Diamondback WWW radials and I'm very pleased with them, except for the cost!

My coupe has been repainted twice in it's lifetime, went from white, to off-white and it's now cream which I've left for now because it's quite presentable. I didn't remove the body from the frame when we did the various mechanical rebuilds but did remove the front clip(grill/bonnet/mudguards). Have scraped frame and underside of body and cleaned then repainted. Wouldn't recommend doing it that way, so if you can do a body off restoration that definitely is the way to do it.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 0:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Have you found it easy, Mal, to get your spare parts in Austrailia? Including 6 volt stuff ? And lastly, when painting engine, how many Tins of Paint does it take?

You said you changed body color many times, did you keep seats original color? Or change to match your body color?

Posted on: 2010/11/14 1:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Gary Marshall wrote: Have you found it easy, Mal, to get your spare parts in Australia? Including 6 volt stuff ? And lastly, when painting engine, how many Tins of Paint does it take?......
My spare and replacement parts came from a number of sources:
1 - Packard Parts vendors like Kanters, Max Merritt and others.
2 - eBay, it's amazing what can be found there.
3 - Members of our club, Packard Automobile Club of Australia, have been able to help out at times from parts they've acquired over the years.
4 - Modern or other parts which interchange or can be modified to suit.
The 6 Volt system works very well. I have replaced the wiring harness, the starter motor and generator have been checked and cleaned and I use an Optima battery. Accordingly I have no trouble in recommending 6 Volt be retained. Although with our hot summers my wife wishes it was equipped with air conditioning, but to do that would require much more than just converting to 12 Volt, that's the "easy" part in many respects. The hard part for me would be fitting the a/c equipment to the engine and inside the car.
To paint the engine/bellhousing/trans/overdrive it took about 1/2 litre of paint and I brushed it on. Turned out real well!

Quote:
Gary Marshall wrote:.....You said you changed body color many times, did you keep seats original color? Or change to match your body color?
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear about the body colour changes. I've only owned the Coupe for about 3 years since I bought it off eBay from Idaho in the US. One of the previous owners before me, a Packard collector who owned it for 46 years, did the repaints the last of which was about 15 years ago. That same owner also reupholstered it about 20 years ago and retained original colours and materials in doing so.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 2:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
With so much work done on it Mal, it must have been a very solid car?

Posted on: 2010/11/14 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Body is good, only one small rust through needed to be addressed. Interior is good but after 20 years the front seat upholstery needs attention again. Mechanically, although the Coupe ran, steered and stopped, it required a whole lot of work to bring it to to scratch. Don't know if previously I referred you to my Project Blog thread where the detail is contained relating to what work was done? Since then the work is ongoing as other matters come up and need to be addressed or things not done earlier are caught up with.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 14:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved