Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 69

Ozstatman, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: ENGINE: 327 1948
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To traum:

I didn;t mean anything , just reporting the facts like Sgt. Joe Friday.

The caller to the paper about the 10 year old Jag obviously meant flawless, but the operator couldn;t spell and wrote "floorless". Had no idea how close to Jag's reputations she was.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 8:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Gary Marshall:

I've owned/currently own Packards form 1924-1956 adn have worked on all of them. Would not consider that I "restored"
all of them but some I have gone end to end either myself or with varying amounts of assistance.

I would recommend you hold off on purchasing the '48, $11,500 for a car needing floors etc is an awful lot unless it's a Custom convertible and at that it may not be worth it.
With the economy suffering here there are some good buys, usually also in England

Rust repair is frightfully expensive and if the floors are bad the body structure may be bad as well. However if you're a do it yourselfer and would rather repair rust than fritter away your time at the telly or on the golf course it's another story.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 8:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I don't know what prices are like over in england, but a 48 for about 11,500 better be show n go ready unless it is something like a custom convertible. Not quite an A1 car but nice paint, nice body, working mechanicals, nice interior.

Of course i know how it goes with things from america overseas and vice versa, the price goes up by half and then some.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Yes I was shocked by price. Flackmaster knows this car, has it's his friend who is selling. Dave says it's a easy restore car. Floor pans are a worry. I was hoping to get one around $4000 to $5000 for good project. He has no pictures yet, so of course I can only rely on Daves Good judgement, but $11,500 does seem high price. For that I would expect near perfect. Just respray etc. But I am a complete beginner, and would like if any member sees a good convertible project to please let me know.

Without pictures of the $11,500 car I can't make a offer, buying blind is a fools game,

Posted on: 2010/12/1 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Are there any members who live in the New York area?

Posted on: 2010/12/3 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New York City or New York State? I'm in the northeast corner of New Jersey, about 10 miles from Manhattan and about the same from lower eastern New York State (Rockland County). But New York is a big state. Can you narrow it down a little?

Posted on: 2010/12/3 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I got my 50 4 door standard eight with fair paint, good body (couple waves here and there) nice chrome, great interior except dash and windows moldings, great running motor, working breaks, and working ultramatic for around the price you're looking at a project car for. The bathtubs seem to just be, well, available. I saw a 49 2 door fastback, cream and burgundy, new paint and all chrome re-chromed, needed re-assembled after restore, went for $1600 (can't believe i didn't buy that damn car, but my wife would have murdered me).

Now since then, i did paint the dash etc...it's about a month of weekends only work to yank all that, rebuild it and have it all painted, and reinstall.

I am putting a gorgeous 327 in and having the tranny rebuilt. With all that, i still won't be near the 10K mark at all, which "I" feel is about top end for a nice standard eight. I wish it weren't so, but again, they're available and only another Packard guy would appreciate the differences of a fresh motor and tranny and interior work. But then a Packard guy usually already has a Packard and isn't buying :)

Now again, i know overseas that 5k here can mean 15 there because availability isn't there. But figure out what shipping is (it was 10k to ship an RV to Australia from NY, so maybe 5-7K?) and maybe you can score a sweet car here and import it if you're shopping the 10K+5K in restoration=15K price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-Packard-Delux-8-/290506475950?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a38909ae#ht_500wt_1182

Don't know whose car this is, but starting at 6, selling for around 8 and shipping for 5? I'd do that over buying a car that's even an "Easy" restore at around 10 and be enjoying it in a week instead of months. Plus, having a left hand drive car over there is as awesome as having a right hand drive over here right?!

Wait, wanna trade cars when you get one!?!?!!!?!?

Posted on: 2010/12/3 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
The Utica area of New York.

Wow some real bargains out there. Just a mater of being in the right place at the right
Time. Understand about the wife thing. They just don't understand.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 9:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Utica is a long haul for me, about 470 miles round trip. Maybe someone else is closer.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 9:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Flackmaster may have some connections in the Utica area.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 12:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved