Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 1950 6-Cyl Packard Motor.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Kev: Amen to your posts. Its working these things out for ourselves or learning how to dig rather than asking the "Teacher" that makes these cars so much fun.

This is a pretty cool little motor, and i don't know what your plans for it are, but i think this would be a pretty sweet little street rod motor. Tons of chevy sixs out there, but all painted and dressed up i think a packard motor would look better :)

Posted on: 2010/12/3 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The plan for this engine was to be installed in my 1948 LWB New York City Packard taxi. It was purchased just as a 6 cyl Packard engine. I learned while cleaning it up that it was a 1950 cast block. I still plan to use it in the taxi. I think it only fitting that this engine is sort of special and is going to power a special Packard.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Would love to see pics of that car as you get her done!

Posted on: 2010/12/3 10:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
I got a nice email from Fred Kanter and it prompted me to once again add to this thread. Two times in as many days is really a record for me. Maybe when I get this book finished I will shift some of my time to cruising the forums. In the mean time you guys can help me finish up this project. Go out there and chase down a White truck with a Packard 1T-245 (they also called it a 55A model)and let me know where it is so I can get some information from it, like what serial number did they stamp on it.

Until you find one, however, take a minute to go out in the garage and get the vin, Briggs body and firewall number from your 22nd or 23rd Series car and send it to me for information for my roster data base. This data base is very helpful in my research and will be here for other researchers after I am gone. So far i have number data from almost 2,300 cars. I am aiming at 2,500, which would represent about 1% of production. Most cars in the site owner's registry do not include an number information, probably 1 out of 20 do.

Email it to me. It could be after Christmas before i get back (or it could be tomorrow, who knows.).

Robert Neal
RJNeal0000@aol.com

Posted on: 2010/12/3 15:39
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I too have enjoyed and learned from this tread, from ALL of the contributors. I'm very interested in any 6 cyl cars from the 21st to 23rd series and would like to find one. You don't see them often.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 16:06
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Now for the latest on the Packard 6. I have noted that the Packard 1M-356 marine engines built in the 1948-1950 era were serialed MA20001 and up. Actually these engines always came with an attached reverse gear and the top of the reverse gear had a data plate with the model and serial stamped on it. The engines were built as both left and right rotation and the serial number would also include that designation. Therefore, the data plate of 1M-356 engine number one with left hand rotation would have a data plate stamped MA20001L. I just had the chance to look at how the actual engine block was stamped on one of these engines. It was engine 1M-356 MA20025L and the block is stamped A20025L with no "M". So now we have a precedent. The "M" was dropped and it might appear that the non-automotive (as in non Packard autos) engines of the period carried the prefix of "A." That would then make A26044B seem acceptable for a White truck engine number.

Now I guess we go on from here and find a White truck with a Packard engine and check it out and prove the theory.

Robert Neal
RJNeal0000@aol.com

Posted on: 2010/12/7 15:13
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. I read all of that but i'm not sure what u're getting at.

Based on the numbers is this particular engine NOT a marine engine????

Based on the numbers it IS a White truck engine????

Posted on: 2010/12/7 15:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Keith, that is what he is saying. Basically a "MAxxxxx" would be a marine application, and so it is possible the just an "Axxxxxx"could be a White or another commercial application motor. Until we can locate a White truck with a Packard built motor for serial number comparison, it just a best guess gathered through process of elimination.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 15:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. That's what i thot. Now, i've been called on the carpet a few times for making the following observation:

There was some PRODUCTION commerical truck mfg'er ca 1935 - 1955 that ran 1937'ish to 1946'ish Packard (or Clipper) front sheet metal (fenders hood grill etc.). Altho this claim has been vehemenetly denied by many a Packard buff. There was such a truck that sat here a couple of miles away for many years. Don;t remeber if it was a White or Mack. I had often heard from old wrenches in the Detroit area many years back about Packard sheet metal used on some commercial truck IN PRODUCTION.

SO, the upshot of my contribution here is that perhaps finding such a truck with a White engine as in question mite also have, or be identified more quickly as, by having Packard front sheet metal.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 16:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/goudy/white/franfort_dist_38white_718.jpg

Here is a shot of a White truck with very Packard like grille. There are more Whites of various models showing different grille designs here.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/kg_white.htm

PS not sure how to make a photo magically appear in a post, maybe someone can help?

Posted on: 2010/12/7 18:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved