Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 169

humanpotatohybrid, Tobs, Ozstatman, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Wile Family's Second Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Thank you all for those kind words of encouragement! I've already had to repair an ersatz brake job on the rear passenger's wheel but I have yet to pull the drums on the other three wheels. Perhaps that would be in order before I take the Four Hundred back to the shop for some additional work. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

After the surprises I had re-building the brake system on the Patrician, Ross's words hit home more than I would like to admit. At least now I've accumulated some recent "hands on" experience with '55 Packard brake systems to have some idea as to what I'm doing.

The ride home also taught me that I've got some adjustment to do on the parking brake!!

On the bright side, I did get some friendly waives and thumbs up on the short ride from home to the shop and back. That was nice.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:08
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I can not emphasize enough Ross' words about "brakes just worked on by your worst enemy".
I, for one, just planned to check the brake fluid level, and ended up replacing all 4 wheel cylinders, brake lines, brake shoes and lining sets rear and a rebuild of the BTV.
I found 2 leaking wheel cylinders, 2 single flares and rust on the lines and in the wheel cylinders, and the BTV vacuum cylinder filled with rust/brake fluid.
In addition the reservoir cover gasket was covering the hole allowing any leaking fluid to return to the reservoir.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/4/26 5:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition the reservoir cover gasket was covering the hole allowing any leaking fluid to return to the reservoir.

This is something that was discovered and discussed a great deal last year. The replacement gaskets in rebuild kits appear to be for a different cover type than Packard used. Just wondering if anyone has bought a kit since this was brought to light and if our vendors have made changes or at least are mentioning the issue with supplemental instructions.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The only part of my braking system that didn't need to be replaced was the backing plates and the drums. Everything else was replaced...even the brake light switch leaked!

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Kev, if you recall my experience with the Patrician, I had to replace everything including the two rear drums, since they were missing! At least the braking system is something I can understand and fix myself, albeit not as quickly as someone trained in this sort of work.

At least with the Four Hundred, the basic parts are all there. While some may need adjusting, re-building or replacing, they are there. This is soooo much better than the experience I had with the Patrician. The Patrician was and continues to be, however, a very worthwhile learning experience.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:12
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
HH56

I used the BTV rebuild kit from Kanter's and the gasket was changed regarding the hole in question.
As instruction I used Ross's "How to: Rebuild the Bendix-Treadlevac Master Brake Cylinder" manual.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?c8/404

Tom

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi PA Patrician

Having to jump in late on your blog and with the problem being brake related at present, I just want to say, hang in there! The old folks did manage to brake these beast successfully! I struggled a lot with my car, but now that the brakes are fixed to 1950 standards i can live with it in 2012!

I believe that these Packards were "over engineered" for their time and should at least provide a decent brake performance. Mine does now after having learned a lot!

You will enjoy the car so much more if you know that you can stop it in time!

Regards

Barrie

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Rocky46 wrote:
HH56

I used the BTV rebuild kit from Kanter's and the gasket was changed regarding the hole in question.
As instruction I used Ross's "How to: Rebuild the Bendix-Treadlevac Master Brake Cylinder" manual.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?c8/404

Tom

Good to know Kanter's kits are OK. Fred was heavily involved in the discussion so glad he made the changes. Hope our other vendors did the same -- or at least mention reversing or cutting the gasket.

Troubling would be someone who bought from an outside vendor. So many sell the rebuild kits & probably most are made by the same supplier. Believe those gaskets are designed around tops which have the tube or stamped passage in the lid -- not the flat lid Packard used.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
This weekend was a productive weekend on the Four Hundred! With the help of my loving wife, I bled the brake system and bled quite a bit of air out of the rear brake lines. There was very little air in the front lines. Once the lines were bled and additional fluid added, I once again have reliable brakes on the Four Hundred!!

Next, I finally replaced the heater core and re-routed the heater hoses. When I took off the old heater core I was surprised (not really) to find that it was held on by only a sheet metal screw and a bolt and there was no gasket between the core assembly and the firewall. That was remedied with a gasket and new bolts.

It took some time installing the re-built core as lining up the bolt holes looks like it should have been a two-person job so with one person working on it, it took a while. I managed to finally get one bolt aligned by the time I lost light on Saturday evening. Sunday after breakfast with the wife I tackled it again and managed to get the bolts and screws lined up in their proper places. New heater hoses and clamps were then in order and after a few hours the job was done. With the new heater core in place, some new anti-freeze was added to the cooling system and a quick run around the block to see if there were any leaks in the system proved uneventful.

The next project with the Four Hundred will be having the re-built carburator installed once it is returned from the rebuilder. At the same time, the vacuum lines will all be replaced and hopefully the windshield wipers will work a little more sprightly. I've already oiled the wiper motor as recommended by the service bulletin and replaced some of the vacuum lines, but not all of them.

Since I brought the Four Hundred home, I've managed to put thirty (30) miles on it without any major issues other than the brakes the other week. That appears to have been resolved and I'm looking forward to getting the re-built carburator on it so that it runs a bit more smoothly.

I'm also looking forward to driving it to the gasoline station for its first fill up. Up to now, I've been using gas cans to fuel it. It will be nice to simply drive it up to a pump and fill it like a normal car! I'm really looking forward to that.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 12:38
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I've been following your postings with great interest and I've got a real education from them.
I know what you mean about looking forward to the first "fill-up". I took my '51 to the station today and it always draws a crowd - especially now that I've finished detailing it, the paint is almost shiny enough to shave in.
I'm hoping for that '55 fill-up for my Patrician this week or next. All the mechanics in the shop have driven that car but me.
I originally took it to my mechanic thinking it would be done faster and since I don't have all the equipment necessary, easier than doing it myself. Plus I have always been leary about working on brakes. All my '55 really needed was that brake job and all the recommended servicing caught up on. The deal was, they would work on it as time permitted and I'd get a (much needed) break on the bill. This was agreed when his business was real s l o w. Naturally, business immediately pick up - for the next year and a half. I could have done the whole thing last summer but that's hindsight for you. Also, my mechanic was born BEFORE the car was made and most importantly, is a honest man and good friend.
Looking forward to more of your posts on both your 400 and your Patrician. Hopefully I'll have some driving experiences to share soon too.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 20:20
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved