Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Packwagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Stuck Gear
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Howard, I wanted to give you update on where I am. I removed the column clip & confess I used WD-40 in the oil hole and then removed the C clip and used it below the washer in attempt to loosen/lube the upper 2-3 lever. I let it sit over night. Then replaced the clip.

In the meantime I have had NO success removing the cotter pin on the 2-3 lever to disconnect the linkage even after a few shots of WD-40. I have pinched, pulled, pushed, tapped and everything else I can think of to loosen that blasted pin but can't seem to remove it.

After letting the lube soak inside the column, since I couldn't budge the cotter pin I decided to see what was happening to the gear selector on steering column. Very gently, with clutch depressed I was able to put gear selector in neutral position & springs seemed to work again. I could not move into 1st gear but selector could move into 2nd and was then frightened to note selector very loosely moves from 2nd to 3rd, just flops from top to bottom with no resistance at all. It feels like something has disconnected?? This really scared me as I have not forced any movement at all at any point.

The next day I was able to move gear selector a bit into reverse feeling the lever move into a "notch" of some kind after a light movement toward reverse. It still would not move into first gear.

I thought I might trying to removing the cotter pin from the linkage(s) working from under the car but have not been comfortable nor have the room to move around without any hydraulic jack or stands as of yet.

Posted on: 2022/7/12 10:02
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if the WD-40 might be doing something so maybe just let it sit and soak for a bit longer -- and dose the upper lever a couple of more times. With luck it will free up without needing major disassembly. When it is free, follow up on the WD-40 treatment with a good lube with motor oil.

Not sure about the cotter key but it might be wrapped in both directions around the rod end and will be easier to cut it off rather than try and unbend to remove. New cotter keys are available at almost any hardware store. All you need is one in the proper diameter and long enough so the key can go thru the hole and have enough sticking out of the hole to bend.

Without seeing or feeling the shift, it it is hard to say what to do about the sloppy motion. Worn rod ends and bushings that fit into lever holes have been an issue on high mileage cars so that could be some of the sloppiness. There is a detent block which holds the interlock and detent mechanisms inside the transmission that can also become loose.. Both detent and interlock functions have had issues if the parts get worn or damaged and that could be something that needs looking into.

The interlock part is a solid round bar that slides in one of the holes in the detent block. The bar has rounded ends that fit into notches in either lever. When one lever moves, a cam like affair forces the bar to move its other end into a notch in the other lever to prevent the not in use lever from moving. When you need the next gear, moving the original lever back to neutral unblocks the bar so it can move and the brief pass thru neutral lets the cam affair on the second lever force the bar in the opposite direction and then the process is repeated so the original lever used is now blocked. It all happens quite quickly and seamlessly but does require a bit of finesse from the driver. That is one reason Packards do not do well with the so called speed shifting where the mechanism is quickly slammed from one gear into another without an attempt at going thru neutral..

The detent portion fits in another hole in the block and just consists of a strong spring with a round ball at either end. When a lever moves the round balls slide into slight depressions in the levers and the detent is because you feel the action of the spring as it pushes the balls into position.

Posted on: 2022/7/12 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
I will try another dose of WD-40 and see how it goes - in the meantime it looks like I cannot escape taking trans coverplate off and looking it what's up & will take your notes with me. In the meantime can you tell what proper trans oil level is from peering from the top or not since I can't get under the car?

Posted on: 2022/7/12 14:57
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would give it another day or so with the WD-40. Give it a squirt followed in a little while by GENTLY trying to move the linkage as you have been doing so the WD can kind of work in. Follow the move attempt by another squirt of WD and another sit to see if will eventually break free. If or when it does see how it feels before taking off the case top. If, after you get the cotter key out so the levers can be moved under hand pressure, if levers have not broken completely free and are easy to move then worry about removing the steering column and fixing them first before taking the trans apart. If the column levers stick and are trying to move both trans levers at the same time you can't get a good indication if there is a problem in the trans. If you could get under you could disconnect the long rods at the trans and then move those levers by hand to tell if there is a problem inside.

I don't know if you can see the fill plug on the passenger side of the case looking down inside from the top because it is a fair distance down. If you can, and it is just the transmission the oil level will be just to the bottom or slightly above the bottom of the plug hole. If there is an Overdrive then it gets a bit confusing because the two share lube and filling one affects the other. The fill plugs are at a different level but as I recall, it will be the OD plug that is lower and will overflow. As long as the lube is at the bottom of trans fill plug the level on both will be OK.

Here is a photo posted by "let the ride decide" a couple of years ago showing the passenger side of the trans and the location of the fill plug.

Attach file:

jpg  trans.jpg (195.12 KB)
209_62cde223db85b.jpg 1920X1411 px

Posted on: 2022/7/12 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 356ci Engine Stalls
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You might want to try using something other than WD40. It may penetrate but will not lubricate. Maybe PB Blaster as a penetrant and and a good penetrating lubricant after it is freed up. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Posted on: 2022/7/13 10:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
PB Blaster

Liquid Wrench

SeaFoam Deep Creep

WD-40 is originally formulated as a water-dispersant (that's what the WD stands for). You want something a stronger.

Posted on: 2022/7/13 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This has been the most effective for me.
https://www.kroil.com/

Posted on: 2022/7/13 21:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2022/7/14 21:37
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Thank you very much!

Posted on: 2022/7/14 21:38
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Thank you very much!

Posted on: 2022/7/14 21:38
Pappy47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved