Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Modern transmissions??
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Welcome aboard Glynn. Glad to see pics of your splendid effort and craftsmanship. Keep us posted on your progress.
I have a V8 Packard engine but there are plenty of others with straight 8's that will be most impressed and interested in your project.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 21:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Glynn, make sure you put your car in the Owner's registry before that G'da$% Aussie gets on your butt about it!

Other than that, NICE WORK!!

Posted on: 2009/7/14 2:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Glynn wrote: I have been working on a 700r4 tranny for a straight 8 Packard.....Glynn

Quote:
Turbopackman wrote: Glynn, make sure you put your car in the Owner's registry before that G'da$% Aussie gets on your butt about it!......

G'day Glynn,
Like to add my as well. And yes I'm that "G'da$% Aussie" that Eric warned you about. But I try to phrase my requests along the lines of "could you please include your straight 8 Packard in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?". A little more civil than Eric's warning I'd think?
And it's your trans conversion looks great. Why don't you start a separate thread on it? As it would be sure to generate plenty of interest.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 3:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Cannot really determine from the photos, but since I saw "ultra" in the text, I assume this pertains to the Packard Ultramatics used up through '54 rather than the older engines of the 40-41 timeframe.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You guy's wanting a different transmission could always do it the caveman way.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The man is obviously a Master. One thing i missed tho. How did he keep the input shaft of the trans CONCENTRIC with the end of the crank????? CRITICAL with automatics. Sticks too but not as critical as automatics.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 21:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Glynn Elliott
See User information
packard v8,

The arbor had 4 set screws in the inserts machined to the shoulders on each end of the tranny. This allowed adjustment of the ends to get the transmission concentric with the arbor. The 700 r4 bell housing was ruff cut with a porta-band saw. Then machined to length before welding on the 1 " plate. The amount of warping surprised me (.115"). After the unit cooled it was placed back in the lathe and the center cutout to correct size. then the outer diameter and the front face clean up to square. A shoulder 3/8 "deep at an OD of 15.312"dia was cut next. This should center the transmission shaft with the crankshaft center if it is concentric with the bellhousing openning. I've made a bushing to correct the size difference between the packard (1.85"pilot hole in crankshaft) and the button (1.699") on the 700 r4 torque convertor. The bolting of the convertor to the pressure plate is not complete yet. Once the Tranny is reassembled I will see if the convertor goes in the bushing correctly and if I have the 3/16" travel or movement between the flywheel and the bolt pads on the convertor. Still a work in progress.

Glynn

Posted on: 2009/7/15 13:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
For everyones info, www.transmissionadapters.com now has the straight eight to chevy tranny adapters in stock....considering one myself..gary

Posted on: 2009/7/31 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Gary

What GM trans are you considering?

Posted on: 2009/7/31 22:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hmm, I wouldn't mind putting a 5 speed in the Speedster, do they also work with manual transmissions? I don't see it on the webpage you posted.

Posted on: 2009/8/1 0:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved