Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Re: Dummy Timing Chain Install Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks like a correct installation to me; the crank mark on a tooth and the cam mark between two teeth, assuming they align with a straight edge thru the shaft centers. Easy enough to verify anyway if in doubt.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity is there any name or manufaturer markings on the box it came in or on the parts themselves that would indicate manufacturer??? Usualy there is somekind of markings on the side plates of the chain.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 9:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'll check the manufacturer marks when i get home to see who made it if i can. The wrapper just said made in china.

Thanks for the pointers on centering the damper and checking to see if the damper will hold the gasket back, and not tightening the cover until the damper was on. I probably would have just bolted it together and had a leak!

Posted on: 2010/11/8 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Hi, Fred Kanter here from Kanter Auto Products

I see there was a question about where we put the timing marks on our crank sprockets. They are put the same place that Packard put them which is pretty much industry standard

Replacing a timing chain is quite simple, but the way the marks are aligned differs on some makes so I suggest whatever vehicle you are working on, refer to the factory service manual or a Motors Manual.

The 51-54 Packard Factory Service Manual has detailed instructions with excellent photos for the removal and replacement of these parts. As they say, nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth.

Hope your Packard is fully revitalized!! Happy Motoring

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/8 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Checked the OEM gear and the mark is on the side of the teeth, but it's in the same place in relation to the keyway. Looking at it in person, there's no mistaking that those are the timing marks.

I guess to sum it up the marks should be pointing at each other with distributor to number 8 if you have hydraulic lifters and the marks should be pointing at each other with distributor pointing at one if you have mechanical tappet. That's if you want to do it how Packard did, you can do it either way with any timing set with either type motor as long as the distributor is in time with the cam, and you have a 50/50 chance even if you're just guessing.

Thank you for stopping in Fred! Should be back on the road soon!

Posted on: 2010/11/8 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"They are put the same place that Packard put them which is pretty much industry standard."

see 55-56 Packard service manual, engine section, p14, figure 24. It shows the "O" mark directly at the root of the tooth. In fact, i am holding a Packard V8 crank sprocket in my hand rite here and rite now and the top of "O" mark is nearly cut off by the root of the tooth of the sprocket.

I'm not sure what u are calling an "industry standard" but placing the "O" mark on the face of the flange that the harmonic balancer presses against is unusual at best. Mite be somekind of chinese or other 3rd world standard but not US nor EC standard that i've seen on countless engines across countless manufacturers.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 19:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Re: Comment by "Packard V8" on Crankshaft timing sprocket markings etc. You have referred me to the V8 Service Manual to illustrate your point. This forum is discussing 46-54 Six and Straight cars, not V8's so it does not apply. The V8 sprocket is larger daimeter leaving room for an "outboard" mark.

You state as follows:

"I'm not sure what u are calling an "industry standard" but placing the "O" mark on the face of the flange that the harmonic balancer presses against is unusual at best. Mite be somekind of chinese or other 3rd world standard but not US nor EC standard that i've seen on countless engines across countless manufacturers.

I have in my office over 10,000 Original Packard Blueprints and indeed on all Six and straight 8 crankshaft sprockets the "O" is on the mating face with the harmonic balancer. As far as I know Packards were manufractured in the USA, not China.

We sell parts for all other US makes and I am intimately familiar with parts for those makes also. I checked our stock of ORIGINAL NOS samples of Hudson, early Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac (up to 1980), Lincoln and other makes. All of them have the "O" on the mating face as I stated. Some cars in later years have the "O" nearer to the teeth.

Therefore what I described as "industry standard" or common practice is in fact so. The 3rd world did not manufacture these parts in the era the cars were made, ie the 30's/40's/ 50's and the EC was not in existance, therefore it cannot be "third world standard" as you incorrectly speculate.

We are in good company where we have some of our parts manufactured, our sources in Asia supply Mercedes truck, GM,Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and dozens of other OEM's. Our parts are lifetime waranteed and I can't think of the last time an engine part failed in use due to poor manufacture. We stand behind what we sell,

"ASK THE MAN OR WOMAN WHO BUYS FROM US"

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Proudly in our 51st year

Posted on: 2010/11/9 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
We are in good company where we have some of our parts manufactured, our sources in Asia supply Mercedes truck, GM,Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and dozens of other OEM's. Our parts are lifetime waranteed and I can't think of the last time an engine part failed in use due to poor manufacture. We stand behind what we sell

Fred, I have to differ with you regarding replacement parts from china. For instance I purchased a timing gear and chain set for my 51 327. The crank gear looked to be NOS. The chain and the cam gear were individually packed in boxes marked "made in china". The crank gear was of good quality. The cam gear just had a crude look to it. granted what a gear looks like has little to do with it's useful life however the cast iron looked very pooris and of poor quality. The real problem was with the chain. The chain was obviously made wrong. When you wrap the chinese chain around the NOS crank gear it would not seat properly. You could not force the chain to fit the teeth on the gear. It rode high on the teeth. Bad fit. This is not the first timing chain set I have replaced just the first one of, at best, questionable quality. Because of the year or so that has expired since I bought the set I was told that the set was not returnable.

I have a machinst friend of mine who pokes fun at the chinese when he says in his best chinese accent "Looks like picture". I think that a lot of this junk from china is close but no air medals. Looks to be constructed using photographs rather than honest engineering drawings.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bob, what are you complaining about? Don't you know that China only uses State-Of-The-Art technologies when making Packard parts?

Click to see original Image in a new window

If you think your machinist friend was funny, you should have heard me Sunday when I was working on this stupid Hyundai in my driveway, my buddy about peed himself!

Posted on: 2010/11/9 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Eric, I had to laugh at the picture. Sad thing is there is far too much truth there. Maybe with enough time the Chinese will get better at it. Remember when made in Japan meant inferior junk?

Posted on: 2010/11/9 19:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved