Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Proper air cleaner for 352 V8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Brian,

Thanks much for posting the straight "scoop" as you often do.

My intention in jumping into this thing was to try to express that the kind of speculation over which air cleaner "goes with" what model/carb/engine/trim option/whatever runs the risk of trying to set a standard in stone with only anecdotal evidence. Some clarification seemed to be needed, especially regarding the (unintentional, I'm sure) blurring of the fact that these parts were simply purchased from an outside source--as it turns out AC Spark Plug Division rather than "AC Delco," but an outside source none-the-less.

I didn't have the proper references, and used a poor "what-if" example of how different Packard V8 cars could have easily had parts that came from multiple sources, not that they actually did. I believe I did use the words "could have." Not going to check, though.

I think Packard is the real culprit here. The fact that only by perusing the numbers in the parts book can one determine how air cleaners were specced, and as you pointed out, never documenting the combinations visually, seems to be an oversight on their part. I know not what the industry's standard practices were, however. Packard's may have just been doing it the way it was generally done.

Owen,

My comment that the only air cleaner that is acceptable as truly genuine is the one that actually came with the car was meant in jest, as of course most owners have no way of knowing that, much less proving it. I couldn't imagine who would have stood at the end of the production line to gather any "evidence" of incorrect air cleaners. All we know is what Brian pointed out that the parts book says, without visual documentation, and personal anecdotes won't help much in keeping this clear.

I DO however stand by my contention that dealers could easily have acquired two-scoop units and retrofitted them on any Packard engine/carb/chassis, with the exception of the dual carb Caribs. I think it's probable that this was done at times.

And what would you consider 'original' on a car like that-- what it should have had from the factory, or what the dealer put on it?

I really hope someone brings up this air cleaner conundrum to a judging body, so they can tear their hair out figuring what the solution might be. Where will they find any proof of what's "correct?" I don't mean to denigrate judging, but I think posing the question could lead to some pretty interesting and amusing discussion. (I have never and probably never will have a car that could be entered into a judged competition, with the possible exception of the category of "best driver" (or "best parked"?)

Have we decided yet what the proper air cleaner is for a Packard 352 V8?

Maybe this'll help.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 21:38
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guy -

You might be interested in my post (#10) in the recent "batwing" thread, which I composed in response to PackardV8's attempt to classify the 55-56 air cleaner styles into four categories. While discussion in that thread went a bit off-topic, from a simple "for sale" posting that mis-applied the term "batwing" (which was later removed), it brought some good info to light.

My attempt to clarify was based on the parts book listings, plus ownership of several '56 models, plus one '55 Patrician (long since sold), which were in relatively unmolested, original condition (save for exterior repaints in non-authentic colors on the sedans and '56 side trim on the one '55). However, I don't have that much experience with the Clippers - except for the '56 Executive, as a derivative. Fortunately, other members have provided images (a couple even with part numbers) of some of those other units, in the first page or two of this thread. (I'm still not clear on the Houdaille unit for '55 Clipper Custom.)

Now, I don't have a sample part, here, to confirm that the parts book's Gr. 9.10343 refers , specifically, to the gasket that goes between the air cleaner and carb, but it shows the same one, P/N 473070, for all chassis with 4-bbl. carb(s), which raises an eyebrow. Although I've never taken any measurements of the Carter WCFB and Rochester 4GC, I wouldn't be surprised if the respective air cleaners could be cross-fitted. However, the Carter WGD 2-bbl. used with 5640 chassis (body 5622-5642-5647), has a much smaller throat. (The '56 Clipper Super with aftermarket, trunk-mounted A/C, cited earlier in this thread, must have also received a carb upgrade, then.)

Meanwhile, you might also enjoy a look at the BATWING AIR CLEANER GUIDE, which I originally cited in the "batwing" thread. Though penned from the perspective of a Pontiac enthusiast, with no reference to Packard applications, it shows some significant differences in what casual observers might consider to be a single design. It's interesting that GM didn't serve up the answers on a silver platter, but enthusiasts of other brands have to practice a good bit of automotive archeology, as well.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 9:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
I guess I started quite a conversation with such a simple question!!! I am quite sure now that the proper air cleaner for a 352 V8 with Rochester 4bl mounted in a 1955 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan is the dual scoop style, like the senior cars. I say this because of what several people have posted on this thread, plus what I have seen in the Clipper OM on this site! On page #29 of the original owners manual it clearly shows the dual scoop style! Thanks to all for the conversation and I too would like to know as would 55PackardGuy what PI judging would say about the whole matter. Thanks guy, It's been fun!!!

Posted on: 2011/3/13 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I am quite sure now that the proper air cleaner for a 352 V8 with Rochester 4bl mounted in a 1955 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan is the dual scoop style, like the senior cars

Agreed!! Unless someone uncovers a TSB or SC or trade letter or build slip or dealer invoice or other documentation advising of a factory substitution or change, the "correct" (meaning as factory-delivered) air filter should be the one specified in the parts manual. Seems to me it's that simple. Packard did publish such advisories from time to time, the one that comes to mind immediately is the temporary AutoLite generator subsitution in 1956.

As to what a dealer might have done.... well, there's almost no end to the possibilities.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't think we are quite done with this thread yet!

How many dual-opening 4bbl air cleaners were chrome plated from the factory? My 55 Pat has one that I am certain is original, so there is at least one.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/3/13 15:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
by Owen_Dyneto on 2011/3/13 12:21:55

I am quite sure now that the proper air cleaner for a 352 V8 with Rochester 4bl mounted in a 1955 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan is the dual scoop style, like the senior cars

Agreed!!

And I second the motion wholeheartedly, having "known" a '55 Clipper Custom bought new (and not from a dealer but at auction) that had the dual scoop, and a second 55, bought used but with excellent history--the car had been around town, probably since new, and my dad had worked on it before he bought it.

Davepa, I believe your question is answered to all intents and purposes, and if anyone judges your air cleaner incorrect, you just refer them to this thread and ask if they could do a better job of "automotive archaeology."

Quote:
by Craig
I don't think we are quite done with this thread yet!

How many dual-opening 4bbl air cleaners were chrome plated from the factory?

Craig,

I ALMOST added this to my last post, to point out the probability that if dealers wanted to install a dress-up item for the engine compartment, the chrome unit would've been the way to go-- thus opening the discussion to how chrome units were specced, part numbers, retrofit possibilities etc. ad infinitum.

But now YOU have gone and opened up that can o' worms anyway! Now this one is all yours, Craig!!!

Posted on: 2011/3/13 17:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
55PackardGuy wrote Quote:
Craig,

I ALMOST added this to my last post, to point out the probability that if dealers wanted to install a dress-up item for the engine compartment, the chrome unit would've been the way to go-- thus opening the discussion to how chrome units were specced, part numbers, retrofit possibilities etc. ad infinitum.

But now YOU have gone and opened up that can o' worms anyway! Now this one is all yours, Craig!!!

OK, the ball is in my court on this one.

And for even more thread drift, how about the fact that my 55 Pat has chrome valve covers (ala Caribbean), a chrome cover on the generator and on the spark coil. So, the further question is: how many 55/56 cars have this "chrome upgrade option" or whatever it might have been called?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/3/13 17:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know nothing of the other items but the chrome valve covers were a standard listed part available to anyone who wanted to pay for them. Chrome coil covers, generators, air filters as available factory dress-up parts - I doubt it unless the car was specially prepared for exhibit at an auto show or dressed by a dealer for show room traffic appeal. I think this is far more likely if those features are truly original to your car. There are many examples of that sort of treatment. Specially prepared cars for the national auto shows were occasionally sold right off the floor "as is".

Posted on: 2011/3/13 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
...chrome valve covers were a standard listed part available to anyone who wanted to pay for them. Chrome ... air filters as available factory dress-up parts - I doubt it unless the car was specially prepared for exhibit at an auto show or dressed by a dealer for show room traffic appeal.

I think this is far more likely if those features are truly original to your car. There are many examples of that sort of treatment. Specially prepared cars for the national auto shows were occasionally sold right off the floor "as is".

I'll take a chance and jump in here. What Owen says here illustrates exactly a question I posted earlier: Is a specially dealer-prepped car or one of these factory "show cars" not "truly original"? I'd say if the car was originally purchased this way, the car is in "original condition."

Would anyone here think it an improvement in a car's "originality" to remove the factory or dealer installed parts and replace them with the type of parts that were installed on the assembly line?

Owen, are you saying that a chromed air cleaner is an indication of a "specially prepared national show car"? That would be an interesting clue to whether a car has that kind of history. The only Chrome air cleaner I have seen installed (other than Craig's) is on a body-less show chassis. Not being a show attendee I haven't seen dozens of Packard V8 cars with the hood open like others may have, though

Craig-- given the thread title, I believe these posts are on-topic as they still apply to the "proper" air cleaner question.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 0:03
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen, are you saying that a chromed air cleaner is an indication of a "specially prepared national show car"?

No. Just saying that if the chrome stuff was really on the car as delivered which Craig believes, it's a possibility, as is a car that a dealer "jazzed" up for his showroom traffic. I think the latter is far more likely than the former but the presence of those items doesn't affirm either.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 8:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved