Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 38 39 40 (41) 42 43 44 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Casey,

Thanks for that. Actually one of the things I did when I first bought the car was get a good copy of a wire diagram, and then I scanned it, and retraced the entire thing in Adobe Illustrator. I also fixed a few mistakes it it based upon information from other diagrams I found. Once that was complete, then I turned it into a PDF. The advantage is that now it is vector based. So I can resize it to the size of the Sears Tower (now called the Willis Tower) and it will still look sharp. That was one of the very first articles I added to the website almost 3 years ago:

Here is the link to it:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?6

Posted on: 2009/3/15 12:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
when I first bought the car was get a good copy of a wire diagram, and then I scanned it, and retraced the entire thing in Adobe Illustrator.

Kev,

Just looked at the PDF of the 1954 wiring. Was looking for similarities to the 51 wiring. Don't see the foot operated starter switch. Did Packard discontinue that
switch and go to a key operated start like a modern car? If discontinued when did they change?

Posted on: 2009/3/15 13:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob,

1953 was the last year for the carb mounted starter switch on a Packard. 1954 was the first year for "Key Start". But the '54 ignition switches has a nasty habit of getting stuck in the start position, so were redesigned in '55. So finding a good replacement '54 switch can be a bear.

But other than that, I think most the wiring diagram should cross over pretty well. This diagram does not contain overdrive wiring or A/C wiring. Nor does it contain power window switch and relay wiring. Just all the standard platform wiring.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Kev, Thanks for the info. I'm surprised any key operated switch would be a problem. When I first saw the carb mounted start switch on my 51 I was a bit nervous about it. Thought it would be pron to sticking.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Update time:

Well with my hellish coding schedule lately, not much has been done in the last couple of weeks. But I did manage today to get in the garage and work on rebuilding the Trico washer pump (see How-To article which is now online).

Howard, the tool worked perfectly, thanks for making that for me!!!

Here are the before and afters....

Attach file:

jpg  (137.75 KB)
1_49c4b82baf521.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (65.97 KB)
1_49c4b84546696.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2009/3/21 4:50
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, another superb article. Glad the tool worked.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you can get the trico sticker from Max Merritt. look under the decals section.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 12:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard thanks. I appreciate that.

Hank, thanks the info on that sticker.

So next question I have. Is where exactly does the pump mount on the firewall, and what type of screws were used to fasten the bracket? Also where does the water tube get routed through the firewall?

Posted on: 2009/3/21 16:02
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Page 6 of the accessories section of SM gives a fairly good description although the picture is lousy & for old style. Don't have a template for specific jar location but goes on fender, not firewall. I would just put on the L fender splasher where it will fit and doubt anyone will know. I don't remember the 54 firewall but the solenoid wires will have to go thru the main grommet. Don't know if enough room for hose as well. 55-6 went thru aux grommet but since acc sect says use same hole as bowden cable, probably not in yours unless you changed or added a later grommet. Do you have the wiper switch with the black center button that depresses for electrical switch?

Posted on: 2009/3/21 16:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, my wiper control does have the black center button.I think my car make have had this at one time and it was poached while it was sitting. The are a couple of mystery screw hole on the fire wall so I assumed it mounted there. I will look for holes on the inner fender. Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 17:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 38 39 40 (41) 42 43 44 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved