Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 468 469 470 (471) 472 473 474 ... 499 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information

Posted on: 2023/7/25 17:39
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Advertised today in the Santa Fe New Mexican is a 1937 Packard Six Convertible for sale. Price is $65,000. I am familiar with the car and it is a very nice one. Just go online and and Google the newspaper then go to the classified ads section. Makes me think I could have another 115C. Hmmmmmm...

Posted on: 2023/7/26 12:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looks like a nice car and interesting that it would have a 1951 six cyl. I wonder what it is from! An export model maybe? I didn’t know there were any sixes at all that late.

Posted on: 2023/7/26 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don, I'll ask the seller about that engine and let folks here know what I find out.

Posted on: 2023/7/26 17:54
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
According to the seller his restorer was able to acquire a new replacement engine. According to the restorer Packard continued to make replacement six cylinder engines after the cars they were equipped with were no longer sold taxis and other commercial models). The 245s were and improved version of the 237s which the 37s were originally equipped. I encouraged the seller to advertise in Hemmings Online to broaden his market area as much as possible. I sold three cars through Hemmings Online ads: one went to Belgium, another to Maryland, and the last to Plymouth, Mass.

Posted on: 2023/7/28 12:18
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many details on the 245 6-cylinder engines (made in automotive, marine, industrial and truck versions) produced by Packard are given in Bob Neal's book "Master Motor Builders". He notes that the very last marine 245 engines, 23 in total, were produced in January 1951. The final run of 245 engines were for contract sales to White Motor Company for use in the light duty White series 3014LB trucks and the engine sales apparently continued thru 1956, estimated about 7500 built, Packard initially netted about $27.90 on each in profit. These engines were modifications of the earlier taxi version. Apparently there were no automotive 245 engines built after 1950.

Attach file:

jpg  White 3014 COE truck ad.jpg (178.39 KB)
177_64c3fb1e5bb70.jpg 960X1314 px

Posted on: 2023/7/28 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, thanks for the reminder about the Packard White truck engines and the document. The seller states his engine has a 1952 casting date. If so, it may be one of the last of the six cylinder engines made by Packard.

Posted on: 2023/7/30 13:27
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Very interesting! I had no idea they were made into the ‘50s!

Posted on: 2023/7/30 14:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I belive service replacement motors came unstamped. They were supposed to be stamped at time of install. I've seen three of them, 288s and 327s and all of them were in California and the engine numbers started with CAL######. So not sure if this was a DMV issued number or what. Calif liked to use the engine serial number as the vehicle number back then for registration purposes.

That being said, I'd be more interested in the engine block casting date.

Posted on: 2023/7/30 16:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Kulp
See User information
The 245 engines had larger valves than the original 1937 size engines.They use a different head gasket because the larger valve size. I have a running 245 engine and with a new spare head gasket for sale, if anyone is interested.

Posted on: 2023/7/30 18:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 468 469 470 (471) 472 473 474 ... 499 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved