Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 125

moodydavid16, BDeB, Jeff Williams, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: New Packard owner questions....
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

C.C.Collision
See User information
WELL I CAN SEE THIS IS A KNOWLEDGEBLE GROUP HERE, AND I AM HAPPY TO JOIN THE TROOPS HERE, AND HOPE TO GAIN YOUR RESPECT, possibly isolate the knock by pulling wires while running.pull the pan and pull the head,push that one piston out,could be a wrist pin knock,and those could last forever.

just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
good luck morgan!

Posted on: 2008/11/12 22:06
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
As I recall a wrist pin gives a sharp double knock and if the spark plug is shorted the noise will be louder. To change a rear main seal the oil pan must be removed and if that can't be accomplished without removing the engine well..

Posted on: 2008/11/12 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
One other thing I've experienced on the straight 8s is that if the fuel pump goes bad or the wrong one is installed. A clicking sound that mimics the lifter noise can occur.
At least it is easy to check. Hopefully it is your problem. It's not that costly.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 23:13
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the rear seal can be replaced without pulling the engine but it's not a fun or quick job to do.

Do I understand you correctly that coincidently with this noise, the engine has developed a roughness at idle and rocks back and forth in the mounts?

Posted on: 2008/11/12 23:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you feeding fuel to the car from a bottle or using an electric pump at this point? You are still are not using the faulty mechanical pump are you?

Posted on: 2008/11/12 23:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Of all the advice that you've gotten so far, by far the best is to drop the oil pan and see what you've got. In addition to having bought and started bringing this car back in 2004, I remember these cars and their well-known oiling problems. Anecdotally, about the best that you can expect from even the newest of the Packard V8 oil pump designs or modifications is about 75,000 miles - and that may be pushing it a bit. Unfortunately, when I had my engine rebuilt, I did not know about the adapter kits and Melling high volume oil pump modification. I have one, now, and before my car has 25,000 miles on the rebuild - with its PI, "remanufactured," oil pump installed - the adapter kit and new pump will be in the car. Yes, it's a PIA to drop the oil pan but, if you have a leaking rear main seal, you're going to have to change it anyway and, while you've got the thing in the air with the pan off there will never be a better time to FIX a well-known and recurring problem with these cars. If you wind up having to go to the shop with it and replace the rear main seal, it would be a good idea to go ahead and obtain the adapter kit and Melling pump and install them. NONE of Packard's nor any of the ensuing band-aids tried in the years since they went out of business has succeeded in actually FIXING the engine's oiling problems. The adapter and MUCH more efficient Melling oil pump is the only viable permanent FIX for the problem that I know about. Just good insurance if you plan on using the car for anything other than pulling on and off trailers several times a year.

Just my two-cents worth on the subject - whatever your problem turns out to be. It's hard to tell how many miles your car has on it since its restoration - or what kind of engine work was done on it. The Packard V8 has ONLY ONE major problem in normal driving and that is the CHRONICALLY RECURRING oiling problem. Different set of dogs if you intend racing it but, then, big Packard Patricians with Torsion-Level suspension, power brakes, power steering, power seats, power windows, air conditioning and more useable space than most modern SUVs weren't really designed for that anyway.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 0:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks again for running the possible scenarios with me. Thanks also for conforming the the rear engine seal can be fixed without pulling the engine. The second question is yes we have not yet pulled the fuel pump and based on the photos in the manual it is the correct one however it may not be the problem as the carburetor also could be leaking.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A leaking fuel pump diaphram can discharge gasoline directly to the crankcase, a leaking carburetor can only do so indirectly via leakage past the rings of that fuel which isn't burned. So if your motor oil reeks of gasoline, I'd still suspect the fuel pump and wouldn't run the engine any further until the situation is resolved.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 10:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved