Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 189

37Blanche, jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Engine rebuild, help!
Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Appears the stampings are not that precise in photos-- maybe due to camera angle or maybe just a bit of tolerance when marking. Two views of aligning sprockets from different manuals -- both are describing the same engine. Both show the mark between the teeth on the cam side yet you could argue the crank side has the mark on the tooth on one and between on the other.

Idea is to get them in as straight line as possible before installing the chain because once the chain grabs it will actually dictate precisely where they fall and they should still be more or less straight. One of them ending off by several degrees or a full tooth off is what to avoid.

After the chain works in and stretches a bit there will be a tiny amount of play anyway.

Ok I see. So it was meant to be between the sprockets on the camshaft side-that wasn't a mistake. So I should just line up the marks and it should be correct.

Posted on: 2023/2/12 21:37

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yep. Just place them on their shafts and face them toward each other with O's in as close and straight a line as you can get. This is when you rotate the crank or cam as needed to make the O's align. Carefully remove the cam socket and slide the crank sprocket out to get the chain on. Sometimes it is easier if both sprockets remove. Be careful not to move the shafts during removal. Align the sprockets again and place the chain over both. If both were removed to a bench take sprockets and chain back to the engine as one piece. Because the crank side is longer you will need to slide that sprocket on first as you hold the cam sprocket and chain tight and aligned. As crank sprocket pushes on the crankshaft the cam side will come close to the cam shaft and you then keep the line and O's straight as you guide that sprocket over the cam key so it will slide on. If you got the cam and crank rotated properly to start with both should go on with very little work.

Posted on: 2023/2/12 21:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Thank you for your guys’ help. Happy to report I was able to put it all on with relative ease using your guys help.

Posted on: 2023/2/13 10:12

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hello, quick question. When putting my new clutch on the pressure plate bolts snapped. I called Kanter Auto Parts and they said they didn’t have any I could buy. Could I go to the hardware store and get six new grade 8 bolts of the same size or would those not work with this?

Posted on: 2023/3/9 11:34

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Moodydavid16

I double checked the torque spec for the clutch cover bolts and found a value recommended by Packard to be 25 – 28 ftlb. A web search for the recommended torque for various size/pitch/grade bolts revealed the Packard recommended torque is in line with Grade 8, plain finish, 5/16 X 18 bolts. From that information I believe you’re on the right track using Grade 8 bolts. You might explore ARP #150-2201 . . . assuming you have 5/16 X 18 bolts called-out in the Packard parts catalog. I also see that Packard used a G103320 plain split lock washer in this location. I would re-new these washers also.

dp

Posted on: 2023/3/9 13:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd just check the height of the bolt heads just to make sure the new bolts are not taller which could result in clearance issues.

Posted on: 2023/3/9 15:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Max Merritt has new bolts and retainers which I know because I have one of their sets in my 1951.

Posted on: 2023/3/9 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Hello, thank you all for your input. I just checked with max Merritt and they said they had some but they were pretty pricey so I think I’m going to go with a set of new arp bolts just to be safe.
Thanks again,
-David

Posted on: 2023/3/9 17:06

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They are a type of shoulder bolt made specifically for this application so nothing else will work properly or safely. Best to either splurge and buy the proper ones or try to find some used ones. I have a couple but unfortunately they are 700 miles away but if you've not found one by then, I can send you one the next time I'm at my shop.

Posted on: 2023/3/9 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
Alright good to know I guess I’ll just have to buy them. I still have some that didn’t snap, should I replace those as well or just the ones that snapped?

Posted on: 2023/3/9 20:03

Checkup on your friends.

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved