Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Oldsmobile oil pump conversion kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Jack,Thanks
John

Posted on: 2010/7/20 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
So, you are saying that the oil pump conversion worked, but that your problem all these years is that you have been mislead by "high enough" oil pressure indicator on the dash gauge, which really was not?

Craig

No.

The picture shows true Packard Oil Pump Pressure.

What I am saying is that the failed 1965 rebuilt motor used an NOS oil pump with all of the Packard updates and the illustration demonstrates 50 psi oil pressure at 2000 rpm using 10w-30 motor oil. The pump being used here is the low mileage NOS Packard pump.

However, somewhere along the line they put in a trick oil pressure sender because the gauge doesn't work with an OEM sending unit. The owner told me this car was always serviced by Packard / Studebaker dealers.

When I started the rebuilt motor the oil gauge barely moved even with 50 psi oil pressure.

So if people were thinking that there was an oil pressure problem based on the dashboard gauge and adding heavy oil to move the needle then they may have been damaging the oil pumps subsequently creating a true oil pressure problem.

So perhaps (back in the 1950's) when they put in the NOS Packard block they also installed a trick sender to make the gauge look good.

Sludging is another issue that would cause people to use heavy oil and exacerbate the problem.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 20:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Peter Telis
See User information
I am new to the Packard forum, not sure if I am using it correctly.I think I am contacting Jack Vines for information on purchasing a conversion kit. I have a 1956 400 for about 10 months now, car sat for many years engine run great but after an oil change i stated to get an intermittent tappet chatter have not dropped the pan yet to check the pan & oil pump screen for sludge.Also are the lifters for a 352 the same for a 374? Thank You for any feed back you can give me. Again Thank you,club member 1956Packard400, Peter

Posted on: 2010/7/29 15:01
56packard400
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Welcome, Peter,

Glad to have you aboard. Let's see if we can diagnose your problem before you change the oil pump.

1. Yes, all Packard V8 lifters are the same.
2. What oil is now in the engine?
3. Do the lifters click on startup or only after a hard run?
4. Where is the oil level on the dipstick?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/7/29 15:10
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Peter Telis
See User information
Hi Jack and Thank you for the reply I wasn't sure about about the post reply,at start up for about 2 or 3 seconds i get a little clicking, pressure gauge go up to a little over the half way mark, but there is a very very very slight clicking after that., after the engine heats up 10-15 minute i get progressive loud clicking which sometimes only lasts a short while sometimes longer,if i shut off engine for 3-4 minutes it goes back to normal. When car is hot the gauge will drop just a little below the half way mark. Also after during a drive at a speed of about 60 mph i get a heavy clicking mostly on the right bank. shut it down for a while and it is back to normal with the exception of just a very slight light clicking. I have drained the oil several times first time i used Shell Rotella diesel 15-40 still had same problem, read some where to add extra quart no difference, changed oil added straight 30w and a quart of transmission fluid with the same results,at this point i am afraid to drive the car with fear of damaging engine. What suggestions would you make. Also forgot to mention I removed both valve covers and there was little to no sludge up top. Thank You again. Peter

Posted on: 2010/7/29 20:00
56packard400
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Well, Peter, your very clear diagnosis indicates your engine is probably a candidate for the high volume oil pump conversion kit.

Since your lifters are louder on the right bank, you will need to verify if you have the second design cam retainer plate and spacer. If not, changing those might make it possible to get by with the standard oil pump.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/7/29 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" i get a heavy clicking mostly on the right bank. "

Does that mean the PASSENGER side of the engine???? Usualy the more pronounced clisking id from the LEFT bank of cylinders (drivers side).

Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" I removed both valve covers and there was little to no sludge up top. Thank You again. Peter"

And let me guess, when u removed the valve cover not only was there no sludge but everything except the very base floor of head was dry as a bone.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Peter Telis
See User information
Thank You again Jack,the production number on my 1956 400 is about 220 from the last one built, is that any indication as to what i have in my engine? Thank you, Peter

Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:15
56packard400
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
In theory, your engine should have the second design cam retainer plate and spacer.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved