Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 186

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Beating a Dead horse - 6v AC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Thank you but it seems some luck as come my way. When we picked up Dan's 327 in california i recall leaving the power steering for someone else who had bought it. I didn't realize there were extra pulleys and i just checked out in the garage and the water pump has two pulleys and the balancer has an extra pulley on it. Looks to be thinner belts than the massive one my 50 288 has on it. So there's one problem already solved!

No, it isn't. The problem is in the balancers. The early balancer has the pulley towards the rear, and the newer balancer has the pulley towards the front. I'm not sure what all you'll have to change to put the later balancer on, you may just get by with a new water pump pulley. There's something else too that's a problem that I can't think of right now.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
This engine has a pulley attached to the front of the balancer, assuming that's what i need? This motor came out of a 53 if i recall correctly, and had that power steering hooked up. So I'm guessing from what you're saying this should be the way to go? I have to switch the water pump itself and the timing cover to mount the engine in my 50 (advice you gave me before) but i think the pulleys and balancers would interchange.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There's a difference between the '50 and back style balancer and the '51 and up one that makes it necessary to use the early balancer with the front motor mounts. IIRC, I think it's the size of the balancer, diameter wise. Like the balancer will hit and rub on the engine mount. Something wasn't kosher when I was putting the '53 327 in the Speedster while using the front mount and I think that was it. I may be wrong, and it'll bolt right up, but proceed with caution and check all the clearances to make sure it's ok. Personally, I'd rather have the narrower belt on my '48 and if it's all possible, when the '48 gets a 356 it'll have dual narrow belts.

Oh, and it was me who stated the Ford 300 six balancer will work, as well as a 302 Ford V8, IF you get an internally balanced racing balancer. The 300 six will work as-is.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, especially Eric. I found that using a 1938 harmonic balancer on a 1954 327 ( to clear the front cross member) required the boring out of the approx 0.375 washer so that the 54 bolt pulls the balancer up hard onto the crank. The standard 1954 washer simply bottoms on the crank before it tensions the balancer. Unfortunately the 288/327 motor requires a bit of adjustment of the firewall ( iaw with the Packard Tech Instruction, of course) so there is not a lot of room left for changing fan belts etc. I have finished panel beating the RHF guard after a Kangaroo strike in November so it is back on the road again. best Regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 3:45
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Peter Packard wrote:
I have finished panel beating the RHF guard after a Kangaroo strike in November so it is back on the road again. best Regards Peter Toet.

Now THERE'S an issue i haven't had to worry about...kangaroo strikes! Goes to show you just can't think of everything before it happens!

Eric,
I'm ashamed to say i had to nibble a little off the side of the engine mount to get my alternator to mount right where i wanted it, so i'm sure there will be clearance issues dealing with that front mount on this project because it is always in the way up front.

The engine and the car are out in the shop at the moment and i haven't looked, but i wondered about converting to side engine mounts as it seems it would be much more convenient. Haven't peeked under the hood, but i'm sure SOMETHING will be in the way of doing that.

Since i'll have both motors out at once, as long as it's not a cross member issue, i should be able to take my time and get each part to fit, modifying if necessary.

If I'm reading what Peter said correctly, i may have to just bore that balancer out a little, and that doesn't seem too terrible. My 288 runs fantastic, but with the ultramatic, i could use a little more oomph (Especially if i get AC working and it runs all the time) and i'd love to detail the motor out with correct decals, right color paint, organize wires and hoses, por15 the manifolds different colors, and chrome nuts on the head (plus i think moving from my 2 barrel to a 4 barrel will be a big plus)

All in all, if everything goes terribly foul (or if i suffer a kangaroo strike) i can go back to stock and drive the car.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
The engine and the car are out in the shop at the moment and i haven't looked, but i wondered about converting to side engine mounts as it seems it would be much more convenient. Haven't peeked under the hood, but i'm sure SOMETHING will be in the way of doing that.

Not going to happen, your steering box is in the way on the driver's side.

Peter's talking about using a '38 balancer, which is from a 282, different engine. I DO know that a 288 balancer from a '48 WILL fit a later 288/327/359 engine. That's what I'm saying, I think you have to use all the stuff from the front of the '50 on your engine, that the later '51 and up balancer won't work with the front mount.

Here's the '51 and up balancer:
Click to see original Image in a new window

And here's the '50 and back balancer (from a 356, a 288/327 is similar):
Click to see original Image in a new window

A 356 balancer is a little wider than the 288/327 one, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. (I hope)

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric,

I think that is a senior balancer in your first picture. I believe this is what is also on the motor that he got from Dan Yocum since it was from a '53 Patty.

On my '54 327 Junior motor, the balancer portion is the same diameter as the pulley face. The senior one you show has the balancer portion much larger than the pulley face.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.02 KB)
1_4b4cb25774ec0.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You're absolutely right Kev!! I went out and checked my old '53 288 and it's like yours. So it looks like if you're going to use the later engine in the earlier car you'll need the smaller balancer.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.60 KB)
34_4b4cd8ee6c5d5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/1/12 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Eric is corect about the wide belt balancers. Please note that you don't have to bore the balancer out, only the thick washer which butts up against the crank. Eric has got me thinking about whether i used a 38 or post-war wide fan belt balancer on my 54 engine. I'm not sure now butI am not aware that they are different. You will soon find out when you try to tension the bolt up and the balancer is still loose. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:39
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:51
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved