Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Chevy into Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Guys, tmicheal left this post on page 2 post #11 so what's say we put this to bed. Night.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I will also say, if I had a choice between being stuck by the side of the road with a Packard straight eight with single barrel carb and points ignition, or a Chev with fuel injection and electronic ignition, I bet I could get the Packard running again before I could the Chev. Especially if I had a few tools in the trunk.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've known guys (including myself) who could get a car like a Packard running with actual bailing wire and a matchbook cover. I can cite specific examples, if required. Therefore, I agree. Don't leave me stranded with an FI computer controlled Chevy (or any modern) engine.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/14 21:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

36pac
See User information
anoter horse;s ass my 36 120b coupe is going to have a sbc 350 trubo trans.as i have allready put in a 373 comaro rear end, am putting in camaro disk brake front end.its not my fault some nut let this car set for 50 years and let it rot.it will still look like a pack.when its done.and people will still enjoy it when i go to car shows.i did the same with my 41 master deuxe and i drive it every were.old car's are to build and enjoy.thank you.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
That's the kind of car that needs to be seen. From the outside, I consider cars kind of like mobile sculpture. Some of them take up space in a very pleasing way. If they can't get that shape around anymore because of deteriorated mechanicals, heck, why not give 'em a boost? Good luck with your Packard.

The steering upgrade on a car of this era also gives it a lot better "roadability" and at least you stayed clear of the typical "Mustang II) IFS.

One thing though, I'd look for a good Packard V8 to put in there. Good engine, brand correct, and much more interesting when you open the hood. I'd like to see you start a Project Blog, regardless.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 21:12
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That's where you run into differences with opinions. Head to the goodguys show in Columbus, you can look under the hood and see, literally, 6000 small block chevies. Boring.

There's more to cars than building and driving...that's like saying art is for coloring and drawing. There's beauty and style too.

I, for one, am bored with looking at the outsides of cars. i LOVE seeing special details done under the hood, chassis, interior, etc. That's why i love checking out the nailheads and caddy motors and packards and steam powered cars and any oddballs out there.

Wouldn't give a second look to most sbc powered cars anymore, just so many of them. It's like stopping at a new car dealership, they all blend in.

It's still cheaper and faster to make the Packard stock if someone let it rot. Granted, i'd LOVE to see how a Packard drove with a modern tranny and motor. I just wouldn't expect it to be worth much when i'm done, and it'd be moped syndrome for sure. You know, "fun to ride but don't let your friends see you doing it."

Good luck with the project though, hope it works out.

For the record i'm not against street rodding Packards at all, or making changes to taste. Just find the sbc route unimaginative.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 22:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Cornerlot
See User information
Sent you a PM..

Steve

Posted on: 2011/3/3 15:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

papas34
See User information
If I had to state my feelings about a small block chevy it would be what was said here by this guy.....sorry just learning this forum....I thought his coment would be included in my response......basicly it is this I wanted a cheep, unusual, cool, older car {like from my youthful dreams 50 years ago}. It turned out I was able to find a nice rust free 1948 Packard with lots of work done for a very nice price...it is a turn key driver....my wife loves it as do my kids and my grand kids {all but one}.
Sure it's value was hurt, but I benefited and to be honest it's a much better car for the money than any thing I saw for the money....I sold my Fairlane and still have tons of $$$ to spend.getting the Packard into the shape I want.

I just bought a 48 Packard this week...it has a SMB chevy 4 Quadrejet, 350 trans and a Rear end out of a Nova....don't know the gears, but it does just fine even with bigger 15 inch tires.....I sold a big block 57 Ford Fairlane to get the funds for the Packard and must say I'm very happy, just need better brakes[same with the Fairlane]and might like a little better supension and some kind of anti-sway.
The supension in the Packard is a bit worn....need to look at a kit for the front end if the cost is too much I'll just go with a Mustang II....I think no matter what I do I WILL be putting rack and pinion on it soon.
I have had Mustang II on a few rides....even a 37 Chevy Panel and loved it....just need to work out the springs.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 21:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

papas34
See User information
I have the SBC and have to say there is very little room left in the 48. The steering box is tucked right up near the exhaust....It does look in place, better than many conversions I have seen over the years.
I did not have anything to do with the conversion, but would be willing to take a few photos if it would help anyone.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 21:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

papas34
See User information
Oh ya....
I can live without the 5000 watt boombox in the trunck, but I want that A/C, 12 volt, power wipers, power windows and better lights.
For me this is a driver, I've had the old stuff and it is fun, but nothing better than old time look and modern time feel.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 22:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved