Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Chevy into Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

tmicheal
See User information
A customer has brought us a 1937 Packard 4 door sedan. He has asked us to install a small block chevy with automatic trans for power. Wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this swap before. We'd appreciate any information or pointers regarding this swap anyone can offer. Thanks in advance for the leg up and happy new year to everyone.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 17:55
 Top  Print 

Re: Chevy into Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Anything but a SBC, please! That big ol' Packard needs some TORQUE. Even a BBC would be better. Or a Pontiac 455! How about a 55-56 Packard V-8! OK, "the customer is always right", I suppose, but not always very smart.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/3 18:09
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bad enough to butcher anything, but I really hope it's not a Super Eight or a Twelve, there's few enough of them as it is.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 18:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe SBC is about 1/2 the weight of the Packard streight 8 so front spings mite need altering and or wheel alignment corrected.

Just out of curiosity, why does the owner want to use the SBC???? Does he not have the original engine???

BTW if u're doing an engine change to SBC might as well use the 700R4 with overdrive trans too so that he can have higher top cruising speeds.

Keep us posted on progress and decisions made realtive to trans, overdrive, rear axle ratio etc.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 19:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
With the weight and size of a packard, it's ride and driving fun would be MUCH better suited with something big and torquey, like a caddy or pontiac V8 (or even a diesel!) rather than a higher reving small block. Then maybe some 3.42 gears and, as mentioned, an overdrive trans.

If i was going to do it, i'd do it right. Guy with a gorgeous green packard every year with i believe a caddy 500 motor in it down in columbus OH for the good guy meet. I'm not about cutting up packards, but whoever did his car did an AMAZING job.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 20:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
please try to convince him it would really be cool to include chrome wheels, low profile tires, painted over chrome, and a set of velour seats. That way it will be more obvious that his Chevy is not a Packard.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 21:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I think the early packards make nice hot rods, but it would be a shame to do one with a car that's all there.

Now that 37 coupe with the nailhead....hrmmm..

here's a nice one:
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/1005sr_lytle_tenpenny_1937_packard_sedan/photo_04.html

Still looking for that caddy powered one.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Don't want to say your customer is an idiot. He may just be green.

You might point out that it will be easier and cheaper to rebuild the original engine.

A rebuilt original engine will maintain the car's value or increase it, while putting in a Chev engine will drastically reduce it.

Also, a Chev engine will make him look like a giant horse's ass at any old car function he attends.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 10:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You might also suggest that if he really wants a Camaro he should buy a Camaro and sell the Packard to someone who will appreciate it.

Trying to turn a Packard into a Chev will only result in disappointment and heartbreak. Like trying to turn a Stradivarius into a ukelele.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 10:06
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
"Like trying to turn a Stradivarius into a ukelele."

One of the best lines I have heard in awhile....lol

Posted on: 2011/1/4 10:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved