Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 21 »

Re: 1950 Packard 288 Auto overheating HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
When the engine overheated the gage was at full travel within a few (5) minutes and no it never went down.

Maybe I'm missing something here. What exactly do you mean by "When the engine overheated" ? Did it boil over? An engine temperature of say 220 degrees, or even higher, in a pressurized system does not mean the engine is overheated.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
When the engine overheated the gage was at full travel within a few (5) minutes and no it never went down.

Maybe I'm missing something here. What exactly do you mean by "When the engine overheated" ? Did it boil over? An engine temperature of say 220 degrees, or even higher, in a pressurized system does not mean the engine is overheating.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 20:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I used a UV tester and confirmed that the block temperature around the thermostat and at various points down the side of the block is approximately the same as the temperature indicated on the gage. This is a given. The gage had a reading of approximately 250+degrees (guesstimate) and the engine compartment was hot enough to give you 2nd degree burns if you came within a foot of the block. It did not "overheat" because the radiator didn't perk over? Interesting.. have to think about that one.

Can't wait for warmer weather so I can overheat the beast and do a UV temp check on it to see at what point the engine seizes.

BTW the Rad guy obviously never saw a REAL radiator. Mine has 12 fins per inch like yours. WELL so much for that idea ;) Kinda glad since I don't have $1000+ to replace the core. Definitely going to check the radiator with the UV.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 12:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No doubt different people have different definitions of "overheating", and of course there are degrees of overheating. Just in my own mind, the coolant doesn't have to boil to say the car is overheating. I'd say a car has an overheating condition or propensity if the cooling system is unable to recover from a temperature excursion and in a reasonable time return the coolant temperature to normal, however you'd like to define that.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 13:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just curious. How far away from the radiator is the fan?

Posted on: 2010/2/4 13:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Very good question Kev! There was a rule of thumb we used to hear, if you halve the distance you quadruple the air flow - I suppose that has some diminishing returns factor to it, but if the fan was more than 1 inch from the core, I'd consider making a small spacer - most fan to core distances I've measured are about 7/8, give or take.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 13:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I'll check. I agree good idea.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 14:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
The fan is 7/8 inch away from the radiator.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 20:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That sounds within spec.

Has the radiator been flow tested?

Posted on: 2010/2/7 20:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the vacuum advance on the distributor. Also the mechanical advance inside of the distributor. If the ignition timing is too late at crusing speed it will cause overheating.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 21:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved