Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 186

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I had to make the stainless channel piece that mounts to the windshield and and hold the weatherstrip the seals the between the windshield and the vent window.

I found stainless channel that is used on a 40s Ford convertible that was the correct profile. Then I had to cut it to length and drill the holes. It attached to the windshield frame with 6-32 screws.

Question, was there any rubber lining, setting tape or sealant used on between this stainless channel the windshield post? To me it seems like water could seap between those two smooth surfaces.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230302_184105_Gallery.jpg (105.65 KB)
1_640149452d02f.jpg 934X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/3/2 20:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On later hardtop models Packard used woven webbing in some spots and something like a thin combo fabric and rubber strip material in others on most metal retainer pieces that attached directly to the body. Postwar, it was multi purpose -- for squeak prevention, gap filler, and a moisture barrier.

Almost bet they had something similar prewar particularly if there is a chance moisture could seep into the car from behind the metal but even if they did not, I would at least put some sealant behind the strip to lower any chance water could seep in.

If you have some glass setting tape that would probably work well and if thin and cut to exact width, by the time it compresses slightly it should be almost invisible.

Posted on: 2023/3/2 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
My car is a time capsule in many ways as little had been done to the body ever and nothing since the 50's. When I took mine apart it was 'as delivered' in that area, no marks on the machine screws showing any evidence of prior disassembly and the weather strip was hard as rock in the channel. There was no evidence of any kind of sealant/gasket on the A post side.
I think however you will need to swap the pan head screws for flat head to allow the weather strip to seat into the channel, or use a burr and pocket out the back of the strip before you push it into the channel. It is a pretty tight fit between it and the Vent Window frame.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/3/2 22:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Bob!

I am sure a discrete, thin line of window sealant between the two couldn't hurt. I was surprised to find that the windshield pillar wasn't completely straight. It has an ever so slight arc to it, almost imperceivable. So I put a little bow in the stainless channel to match to get it to see as flush as possible. But I figure a little thin bead of sealant couldn't hurt to seal out any imperfection.

Posted on: 2023/3/3 10:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yesterday, I also got the seat tracks and seat frames back in the car.

I found a spring at Ace Hardware that I think will do the job for a seat return spring. I may have to cut it down a bit more to increase its tension.

The tracks slide decently without the seat in place but are hard to slide with the seat on. I think it's because the seats are overstuffed and rubbing on the side panels.

Also, I painted the spare tire hold-down clamp and its bolt. The bolt is pretty pitted, but the threads are good, and when installed it's not visible.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 679.jpg (283.56 KB)
1_64020e4116aff.jpg 1025X1920 px

jpg  ScreenShot 680.jpg (101.40 KB)
1_64020e4ad46cb.jpg 1132X1558 px

Posted on: 2023/3/3 10:13
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Got the spare tire hold down clamp in place. I still need strip and paint the trunk areas. Also there are some pin holes and thin areas in the trunk floor that need to be addressed.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230303_161827_Gallery.jpg (160.80 KB)
1_64027302f1bc3.jpg 1561X934 px

Posted on: 2023/3/3 17:22
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Making a 500 mile round trip parts run today to far southern Illinois. I'll report back later with the haul.

Posted on: 2023/3/4 7:32
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Drive safe, I expect they got the same foot of snow we did here in Ontario.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/3/4 8:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Made it back in one piece. I drive past the 30 mile swath where the storm blew through. Based on the amount of abandoned cars in the ditches and median, it must have been a doosy.

Posted on: 2023/3/4 19:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Bit of snow here. About 12 inches in 6 hours.
Glad you got back okay
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Backyard Mar 3 2023 snow storm.JPG (387.41 KB)
225215_6403fc945d0ae.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/3/4 21:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved