Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 63 64 65 (66) 67 68 69 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't realize yours are the 1/4 ones. Guess I'm used to the V8s and think those are the smaller ones.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 23:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, the throttle linkages are larger that the ones on the carb itself, so I am assuming it's a 1/4". But I haven't measure it to be sure.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 23:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So I was investigating why my Inductive Timing Light is acting wacky. So with motor running, the timing light will trigger whether the inductive pickup is connected or not. Kill the motor, and the light stops. So I thinking there must be some type of feedback. So I run the timing light off another 12v battery, and car the motor run on it's own 12v battery. Problem returns. This with the timing light not hooked to the car in any way, and about 4 ft away from the car. Stop the motor and the light stops.

So I start poking around on the internet, and I guess some inductive timing lights go crazy around solid core ignition wire (IE Packard 440 wire). I guess they bled a ton of EMF that causes the inductive pickup to false trigger.

I wonder why it's throwing off so much interference. Perhaps my rotor doesn't have the carbon button on it. I am using non-resistor spark plugs also (AC-45).

Hmmmm...... I guess I need to find a non-inductive timing light. Do they even make those anymore?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 1:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I don't know Kev, we do motorcycles with Packard 440 solid core wire with inductive timing lights all the time. Never seen any issue. Same with the resistor plugs. Sounds like you setup is very sensitive.

Do you know where you could borrow one from?

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/21 2:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Maybe you could use the old wires if you still have them, at least to set the timing for now?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 7:09
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
1. did this problem with timing lite occur before????
2. hook timing lite to different engine (lawn mower maybe) to see if problem persistes.
3. connect pic-up at or near spark plug. Not at cap.
4. make sure other plug wires are not crossing or near the plug wire to which the lites pic-up is attached.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 7:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bought this timing light several months ago, but this is the first time I have used it. Like I said before if the timing light is even near the car it starts to go crazy with the engine running. Thats with the timing light connected to a different 12v source, and the induction wire not even connected to anything. Kill the motor, and the light stops.

Would something like a faulty condenser or a leaking coil cause this kind of EMF interference?

Posted on: 2010/4/21 11:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Would something like a faulty condenser or a leaking coil cause this kind of EMF interference?

Not that I've every heard of, encountered, or can even envision happening. Strange.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 12:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I dont have the old wires as they were completely shot. I guess as a test I could pick up a set of AC-45R's plugs from the parts store and see what that does.

I can only imagine what this kind of interference would do to the radio in the car.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 12:45
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
try it on a different car. Lite's probably bad. What brand is it????

Posted on: 2010/4/21 13:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 63 64 65 (66) 67 68 69 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved