Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Well, here's what I did next, and it took about 2 minutes.

I googled the Troy PD and found that 10 officers were given notices out of a total of approx 135. That makes 1/2, right?
Now just why did I check the facts?? Well, you figure it out.

Something was referred to as brainless, forgot just what it was.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 23:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I do not believe individual policemen join up because they want to be tax collectors. They have higher motives.

But if the city is misusing them that way, lay them all off.
Fund that library and read about taxation without representation. People making an involuntary contribution to the city finances have not had their safety enhanced, just their wallet lightened.

And actually I once did get a parking ticket in a 41 Plymouth (it would have been hard to get a speeding ticket in that car)

Posted on: 2011/9/15 14:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
WHOA NELLIE!!

I call myself a friend of the truth, because the truth is the only thing that counts. We are all entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts.

Here's what I COULD do with my own facts:
The Deputy Mayor uses 2 policeman to shine his shoes twice an hour. The Chief uses 4 to mulch his begonias and the rest are here in NJ polishing my Packards.

NOW HERE'S THE REAL STORY

1.There was no new library planned or built

2.Major cuts had to be made in economically hard hit cities in Mich, among other cuts the Troy Library was going to have to close

3. Ten officers received layoff notices

4. All layoffs were rescinded after union negotiations

According to the rules of this forum, it is for the furtherance of all things Packard. It is not for personal or political matters or discussions of Model A Fords. This is not closely policed, so be it. Even though not explicitly stated, as ladies and gentlemen we all should stick to the truth. An opinion as to which 1952 two tone combination looks best is neither true nor false, its a matter of taste, just like the best flavor of ice cream.

The Troy Mich library has nothing to do with Packards. The "facts" stated about its closing and the layoff of police are false and I verified this in 5 minutes on the internet.

It is my opinion that those who use this site for political purposes should be warned, then terminated if necessary. There are plenty of places to vent lies on the internet. Those posting information that is patently false and could be easily checked should be bounced also

PS Vote for me in 2012, get two Packards in every garage!

Posted on: 2011/9/15 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I agree Fred - we are far afield.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Quote:

.......where there is a quota.

Our esteemed police chief said there is no such thing as a quota in the police force---and then he went on to say if one officer wrote 100 citations a month and another did 10, he would be talking to one of them and find out why the difference. After budget hearings, he left no doubt as to which one he would be talking to. The city council was going to eliminate the officers in traffic detail and put them policing other crime areas. Chief stood before them and literally told them they were crazy to even consider it. "Do you people have any idea how much revenue those twenty officers bring into this city?? And you want to eliminate the program?? Are you nuts?? But there are no quotas and we certainly have no quota here. If you believe that, then I have a few bridges for sale--anyone interested?

I personally believe that the governing body that issues a fine, shouldn't get any of it.

Everyone in this great nation lives under four governing bodies. Federal, state, county and city/village/town. If any of those, or their agents, issues a fine, the money should be divided between the other three as a percentage by population. The issuer, gets nothing.

Raising revenue by issuing fines is wrong.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 17:23
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Coming back to the oil pump briefly, I put about 125 miles on the car today driving up to Lake Geneva and back via my son's house.

Car ran well and was well mannered. Oil pump is showing distinctly higher pressure, as high as 2 o'clock at tollway speeds.

looks good, feels good. one man congratulated me for having really realistic hubcaps "Boy, they look just like real wire wheels...."

I just allowed that they were hard to find these days.

One note for Jack Vines: Sending you the pump as promised, provided you promise me it will never end up in a working packard engine, Deal?

and now back to our broadcast of Police Story, the truth behind the badge.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 20:10
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Pat,

Nice to hear a great success story, but you should have detoured through Troy. I heard from my source in Troy they laid off the other half of the cops so they could lend money to the local gogo bar. NOw there's no cops, all the spped limit sighs were sold for scrap and you can go 110mph on Main St as l;ong as you don;t have clicking lifters.

See, this is OK, it has somethign to do with a Packard

Posted on: 2011/9/16 22:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fred haven't you beat that horse into glue yet?

Posted on: 2011/9/16 22:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Hi All,

I spent 20 years, 9 months, 5 days and 4 hours as a cop until I retired in 1996. Worked traffic exclusivel for about a year and nobody ever told me I had to fill a quota. Knew many cops in many jurisdictions over the years and can't ever remember anyone telling me they'd gotten their butt chewed for not making a ticket quota.

The truth is, writing tickets is a huge pain in the butt and the only thing more boring is watching paint dry. I'd estimate that most cops admonish and release easily 90% of the folks they stop. Traffic enforcement is mostly about reminding folks that there are rules and asking them to abide by them. If someone was reasonable and didn't try to B.S. me about whether or not they'd been speeding or whatever, they'd usually get a warning unless they'd caused some egregious accident or had been reckless or had been drinking and driving or something else more serious.

There is an unwritten rule that most, not all, traffic guys use. Under 55 allow up to 6 mph over the limit before pulling someone over to talk to them; over 55 allow up to 11 mph over the limit before pulling someone over to talk to them.

Catching speeders is the easiest thing in the world 'cuz about 95% of the folks who roll by on the road are over the limit until they spot you. If we'd had quotas, we could have filled them in ten minutes.

Stop imagining things.

Let's get back to things Packard.

Posted on: 2011/9/17 1:33
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I spent 20 years, 9 months, 5 days and 4 hours as a cop until I retired in 1996. Worked traffic exclusivel for about a year and nobody ever told me I had to fill a quota. Knew many cops in many jurisdictions over the years and can't ever remember anyone telling me they'd gotten their butt chewed for not making a ticket quota.

I guess you never drove through Wickenburg, AZ before the state got so fed up with complaints about a "speed trap" that the state built a road bypass around the entire city? I don't need to relate the story (there are thousands of examples, many on the internet), but the local traffic judge's court building was the "finest tuna" in the entire city. I know because I was there since I was cited once even though I KNEW it was a speed trap (I was driving my GF's new Jaguar, so I was a "target".) A few month's later, I had the "privilege" of contesting the ticket in the judge's court. You didn't want to be there, because there was no "justice".

I agree that most cops (I know a few) are very pragmatic and without quotas on tickets, but there are some exceptions and sometimes it takes millions of dollars by the state to shut them down, such as the road bypass cited above.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/17 5:32
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved