Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician from Bring A Trailer
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
I assume you've had the car on before and it didn't do that?

Looks like a head gasket leak on the driver side to me. Check the oil, if it's milky/cloudy then it's definitely a head gasket leak.

Replacing a driver side head gasket is really not the worst thing in the world as long as your exhaust system is not rusted solid. Gaskets are easily available. You can do it with a buddy in your driveway.

Good to know. I assumed that it was head gasket, happy to hear it’s a manageable DIY fix.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 21:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Water vapor is a normal product of combustion and when the exhaust system is cold you will see the vapor and a fair amount of it will condense and drop out the pipes. If all of that continues after the car is fully warm, then you have something to think about.

Modern cars are less prone to this phenomena as the catalytic converter causes the gasses to be hotter and the vapor is more seldom seen.

I once had a customer threaten to sue me because his car blew sooty water droplets onto his garage wall upon startup. Later he was surprised and offended when I declined other work.

Posted on: 2022/9/27 6:16
 Top  Print 
LikeLaugh (2)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Also, it may be hard to tell in a car without a catalytic converter, but there will be a coolant smell to the exhaust. Don't knock yourself out though, if you can't smell it from far away then you won't be able to smell it from close either.

Coincidentally I was driving behind someone today with a failing head gasket and it reminded me.

Posted on: 2022/9/27 11:15
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
This is good news. It doesn’t have a smell. I just assumed the white smoke and condensation had to be bad, I’ll drive it and listen to the engine and if I hear anything I’ll get it checked out

Posted on: 2022/9/28 1:28
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Hi again. This may be really dumb but is there normally an exhaust that comes out of the middle of the car?

Here is video showing the thing I’m talking about.https://youtube.com/shorts/YL45capClzs?feature=share

Sorry if this is really dumb. This thread should be called “guy buys car he likes, guy also knows nothing about cars”. Thank you all for your patience and help.

Posted on: 2022/10/24 19:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s the crankcase breather giving off fumes but that much may indicate that a ring and valve job is in order!

Posted on: 2022/10/24 19:49
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Thank you!

Posted on: 2022/10/24 20:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
When I first got mine running it smoked quite a bit from the crankcase breather. It's gotten much better over time, and now I don't see anything coming from it unless the air is cold.

I think a few things helped to improve it. 1.) Running the car helped to clean out deposits or helped the rings and valves to seat better. 2.) I did new exhaust front to back, and I think the old exhaust (half was missing) may have had a restriction in it that caused back pressure into the crankcase.

I may be totally off on my assumptions, but at least the smoke from the breather has improved.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/10/25 12:42
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
I’m hoping the more driving (like 100-200miles) helps. It runs well at highway speeds but it does have a rough idle after changing plugs, oil, etc. I need to fix the fuel float so while I’m at it I’ll replace the whole fuel system (tank, pump, filter., vacuums). Then go to someone for the valve job as that seems pretty daunting.

Posted on: 2022/10/26 19:28
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved