Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vacuum advance problem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
The vacuum advance is not working on my 1947 Deluxe Clipper. I can rotate the distributor by hand, but it is really stiff, and that is probably the problem. Is the advance mechanism's return spring the only resistance to it turning? Before I mess up what was probably a good adjustment, I thought I would ask the question.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 13:38
 Top  Print   

Re: vacuum advance problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, the spring should be the only significant resistance. I assume you have the autolite system where the vac adv. turns the whole dist.

If it snaps back to position when you let it go then there is probably not a friction problem.

You can easily test your advance by hooking a bit of rubber tubing to the line at the carb end and sucking on it--it should hold a vacuum, and the dist. should move. If not, it's advance time which is hardly a surprise at this late date.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 20:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
Thank you for the reply. I tested it with a hand vacuum pump and it did not hold vacuum or turn the distributor. I then removed the spring in the advance and found it was still difficult to turn the distributor. I think I am going to have the distributor and advance rebuilt.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 0:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have a 1947 Super Clipper-I also had vac adv issues. I caution you on your test of the vac adv. I used a hand held vac pump(mityvac) to test the unit. It tested bad. When I got the new one and repeated the test it showed bad also-I believe it was leaking around the threads. Anyway the orginal vac adv was bad-the car would not idle-now it idles fine. I assume when you say move the distributor you mean the breaker plate in the distributor? I also got the new vac adv from Max Merritt other places will repair yours at for less $$

Posted on: 2012/5/29 20:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
My whole distributor is supposed to rotate with vacuum, not just the plate. I can feel the vacuum at the line when it is disconnected, but I can't connect it to my vacuum gauge to measure the amount, because of of the fitting on the end of the pipe. I am convinced I need the advance unit.
With the vacuum line disconnected the car will idle at 400 rpm. and if I slowly rev up the engine I can see the timing advance, but because of the centrifugal advance. If I quickly rev up the engine there is a hesitation.
Rick at Hagen's Hiway Auto Parts says he rebuilds them to like new with modern diaphragm for $85.00
Jason Smith at Advanced Electrical Rebuilders says he has NOS units, but I didn't get the price yet.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Add Terrell Machine shop in Texas-he rebuilts them. Max Merritt probably has them on the shelf-but more expensive

Posted on: 2012/5/30 6:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I also have the distributor that moves the whole unit. It's a neat setup! Make sure that the two plates that hold it in the block are on right and a little lube, so it doesn't bind when you snug it down. A quick ID on the distributors is that the vacuum arm connects to a gauge with a pointer and a long slot on the outside of the dist body, while the plate moving ones just run inside a hole on the distributor body to connect to the plate.

Since there is no ported vacuum on our cars, the distributor will be very advanced when working well, at idle. A couple quick blips of the throttle and you will see it jumping around as it rotates. It's kind of neat to watch, and i like this model distributor very much for that purpose. While doing a ton of testing and tuning, i found mine had randomly stopped working as well one day. Got a new one from MM and it's been good since, although the car has a knock so it hasn't moved much.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 8:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I disconnected the vacuum line and made a video showing the timing being advanced by the centrifugal mechanism. I can't wait to see it with the vacuum advance working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8fkIfD_rpk&feature=BFa&list=ULP8fkIfD_rpk

Posted on: 2012/5/30 16:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved