Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

Craig the Clipper Man, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Help with Canister Type Oil Filter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
My mistake. I went out and double checked the filter and the one I purchased was a NAPA 1010 vs. 1080. I'll go purchase a 1080, sounds like that is the ticket.

Based on the posts above, I think I'll continue to let the bypass system do it's job.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 9:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks. I went back to NAPA to get a 1080 filter and then when I looked it I realied it was very close the 1010 they gave me on my previous trip. The guy was very helpful going through all the filters until we found one with the right dimenions. Turns out to be a 1100. I assume that the bypass filter was changed from what was their originally, all pictures of 46 engines I have seen have the bypass filter on the driver side of the engine and mine is on the passenger side by the carburater.

I think I am set now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear you found a filter that works. Don't think I have seen a Packard since 1940 at least that wasn't on the drivers side near the engine oil inlet and outlet ports. If near the carb, how did they mount it and keep away from the exhaust manifold? Where are the connections into the engine made? Since filters were a Packard option, suspect you are right and it was changed. Even starting to sound like an owner might have an aftermarket setup installed. Any brand stamped on the canister?

Posted on: 2012/6/3 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
We are not alone on the discussion of NAPA 1010 vs. 1080 oil filters.

Check out this thread on the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club forum:
http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1081.0

Anybody have the measurements (height & diameter) of the 1010 handy?

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:36
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
HH56 asked how the my bypass oil filter was mounted above the intake manifold. I had a bit of a delay in getting back on that, here are pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.06 KB)
4619_4fcfe70e6cb81.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.06 KB)
4619_4fcfe73c5ec3f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/6 18:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for posting the photos. Am sure it's aftermarket. Looks like someone went to a lot of trouble to make the bracket. Just out of curiosity, are there two threaded but empty holes in the front driver side of head where the normal filter would go?

Posted on: 2012/6/6 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would also be interested in where the feed for the oil filter comes from and where does the filtered oil enter the engine. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Edit: Seems like now would be a good time to get it properly installed on the left front side and with solid tubing connections.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 22:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved