Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

RKS, John Wogec, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: help with 53 cavilier!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Garrett; when I first got my '51 200 Deluxe, it had an electric fuel pump. It would start fine but, it didn't idle very well. After putting the transmission in "H" it would do pretty well until the engine was under load or I was driving over 50. One of the contributing factors to my driveability problem was the electric pump. Mine had a "one rate fits all" set up which resulted in the pump trying to force more gas than was needed into the carb at idle - resulting in a near flooding out condition. At 20 - 50 mph the flow rate of the pump was sort of matched to the engine's need. 50 and over, the pump wasn't supplying enough fuel and the engine was starving out. I removed the electric pump and rebuilt the OEM one which of course, matched the fuel supply more in keeping with the engine's need. That gave me windshield wipers as well.

The electric pumps have their place and I've been thinking of using one to pump up the carb to make for easier starting when the car has been sitting over 3 or 4 days. But for just plain driving purposes, the "Old School" design works best - at least it did for me.

I think you've got other issues than just fuel supply, but getting the engine happy will eliminate the basics.

Good luck,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2012/6/1 17:59
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
so i jumed the gun baddlyy.... i was driving it up and down my street a few times.. went to go back up my driveway which is a hill with a 90' atthe bottom my motor turned off and i lost all brakes picking up speen i tried to restart the car nothing pull the ebraKE nothing finally last ope is park.. nothing... so by this point im freaking out thinking im going in to my neighbors house.. i craked it around last second and took out their fence with my front fender.. needless to say im devastated.. so if any one has any solutions for me im in great need of help.. with the costs of the fence repair my Packard might be siting for awhile :{

Posted on: 2012/6/2 14:03
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I'm really sorry to hear about your test drive. I know that there are few feelings more helpless than to suddenly turning into a "passenger" when the car you WERE driving gets a mind of it's own. My own experience was in a 1960 Imperial - fortunately, my neighbor's fence was chain link and I wasn't going all that fast. It's also how my '55 Packard almost wound up in the creek opposite my mechanic's drive.

That experience in my Imperial was the reason why when I got both my Packards; the first thing I did was to make sure their E-brakes were up to snuff.

You mentioned that when you put the transmission in PARK nothing happened. The rear wheels should have locked up. It could be that the transmission linkage is some of your problem. I've been told that the spec's HAVE to be exact or all sorts of transmission problems may occur.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
On my cars maiden voyage, I also took out a fence. Luckily it was my parents. In a panic I tried the ebrake which didn't work. Then I went to park and nothing as well. Maybe they are designed not to go in park at speed? Lesson was learned though. Always inspect/rebuild the brakes on an old car before driving.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 20:35
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
For better or worse they are designed to ratchet when put in park at speed to prevent an uncontrollable skid or ripping the back half of the transmission off.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Just for the record for the other folks who are pondering launching two ton objects into public spaces, brakes are the least expensive part of any restoration and the most important. Any new purchase should be treated as though the previous owner despised you and wished for your early demise-- until the brakes have been brought to a standard condition.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 20:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
^ Agreed! +1

Posted on: 2012/6/2 21:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
For better or worse they are designed to ratchet when put in park at speed to prevent an uncontrollable skid or ripping the back half of the transmission off.

That makes sense.
Thank you for the insight on "Park" (and many other things)

I also agree about the brakes - a lesson I learned from bitter experience.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe this will make you feel better:

Bob Turnquist totalled two Packards.

Also, on one of the CCCA caravans a boat trailer got loose and wiped out a 903 Dual Cowl. On another, winds tipped over a tractor trailer with four cars in it (another Turnquist car). Then there was one fellow whose restored 48 Lincoln Continental fell off the trailer on the highway.

I knew one guy who was stopped by the state police in the middle of the highway in his 36 Packard convertible coupe. While they were screwing with him a truck rear ended the Packard.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 23:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I'm sorry to hear about that Garrett. I can't share any stories like that about my '52..... YET. But what I can say is, it is a small world. We share the same first name, are a year apart in age 19-20, and own Packards a year apart in age'52-'53, how about that?

I wish you good luck in your future with that Packard! You sharing that story helps others, like me, who are preparing to take their maiden voyages.

Thank you,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/2 23:56
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
the brakes had been over hauled i had faulty runner on the rear wheel cylinder. as for no i still cant figure out why it dies when i put it in to gear unless i kick the rpms up. and i need a drivers fender :{

Posted on: 2012/6/6 23:29
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved