Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 188

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 22 »

Re: Barries's 1950 standard 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Barrie,

Looking good! And interesting that some of your parts come from Oz. And your photo's are very familiar, seems to me at least it's deja vue, all over again!

And to round out your weekend the Boks beat the Blacks! Next week they're up against the Wallabies and although they've improved I think the Boks are a step ahead I'm sorry to say.

Posted on: 2008/7/14 3:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frank
See User information
I like your pictures, I was thinking of cleaning and painting the engine without taking it out like you did. Is this even possible? Or should I take off the fenders and front end like you did?

Posted on: 2008/7/25 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
PapFranklin

According to people who has done it, it is entirely possible to clean and paint the engine in the car. Although I can see that it might be much more difficult! My decision to remove the engine was because I had to replace a faulty thrust bearing anyway. (I also stopped smoking during that time so I tried to keep busy hahaha!!)
I must say that it only took me a day to remove the fenders - really not difficult. Just have enough space available to store them so that they dont get damaged.

Ozstatman

Ja we will have to see whats up with the GAME further on!

Posted on: 2008/7/30 2:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

africapackard wrote:.........Ozstatman
Ja we will have to see whats up with the GAME further on!

Barrie,

The "Wobblies" don't look too wobbly at the moment with a couple of good results against the Boks and the Blacks. The game this week-end against the stirred-up Blacks will be a real test!

Posted on: 2008/7/30 2:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
PAP, if you look at my project blog, I stripped and repainted the entire engine with in still mounted in the car. But I think removing the front sheet metal is going to be a requirement.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 22:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frank
See User information
Thanks for the advice on not removing the engine. I'll be removing the fenders and detail it in place.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 0:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you want to remove the front fenders to detail the engine and frame here is some info that may make it easier.

When your car was built, the last thing to go on was the front end assembly. The fenders, grilled etc were built up as a separate sub assembly then dropped over the motor at the very end of the assembly line.

In most cases the whole "front clip" as it is known, was held on with just 6 bolts.

2 at the back at the top of the fenders, 2 at the back at the bottom of the fenders, and 2 at the front under the rad support cradle.

I have not taken the front clip off a 1950 Packard but this was standard practice in the industry.

To take off the front clip here is the best way to do it. First, cover the roof of the car with old quilts or blankets, then a piece of carpet.

Lift off the hood, carry it back and set it on the roof. This is a 2 man job. On a Packard it is easy to take the hood off because it is held by latches both sides.

To take off the front clip first disconnect all the wiring. Remove the bolts. Now lift the whole front clip off as an assembly and carry it forward. This will probably take 3 or 4 good men on a Packard.

You should have some provision to set the front clip on crates or at least some soft carpet or old tires to prevent scratching or bending the lower fenders.

Now you have complete access to the front of the car, and can clean off the old grease, paint, repair brakes suspension etc.

This is also the ideal time to replace the hinge pins and bushings in the front doors if they are loose.

To get perfect panel fits you align the doors to the body and then align the front clip to the doors. This is how they did it at the factory.

So, if you decide to do this it is a lot of work but it will give you better access to a lot of parts.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
One more thing. The front bumper does not come off with the front clip. It is bolted right to the frame.

I suggest you take the bumper off. Then pad the ends of the frame with foam rubber and rags held on with duct tape.

If you don't you will bark the hide off your shins 40 times before you are done.

Leaving the bumper on is even worse, it will trip you up and try to kill you every time you go near the car.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Rusty

Yes my shins still hurt!!!
I took everything apart cause it just seemed easier. I am a one man band here so the smaller the pieces the better! Had a $%^#$ of a time carying the hood by myself HAHA!

On the 50 the fenders are held to the body with 4 bolts each, then the frionts are bolted to the top of the radiator cradle...will get some pics. It is intricate to explain in words...

Posted on: 2008/7/31 9:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
This is too obvious, but I forgot to mention, that in removing the front clip you have to drain the cooling system and disconnect the rad hoses, also the trans cooler hoses if there is an automatic trans cooler in the bottom of the rad.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved