Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

56 400 starter problems
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
When turning switch key to start I hear a slight click on the fire wall under the hood but starter doesn't do anything. I have taken starter off and it and the solenoid are good. The Push button actuator sounds like it is shifting to Park and N but no starter. This just happened all at once, it had been starting fine. I see a starter relay in the wiring diagram but don't know where it is or how to check it. plazma@grm.net Thanks

Posted on: 2012/6/10 13:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 400 starter problems
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check the neutral safety switch. Perhaps it is bad, or out of alignment.

If you use a "bump" switch between the starter solenoid BATT lug, and the trigger lug, does the starter kick over?

If so, then the problem is between the ignition switch and the trigger lug. Most likely the Neutral Safety switch.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 14:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The starter relay is on the fender between emerg brake mechanism and battery and is the 3 terminal black one just above the 6 terminal shift relay. Has a small red and two larger brown wires going to it.

The two brown wires are the starter circuit. One is from ign sw and other goes to solenoid terminal. The red wire is the power lead from pushbuttons. Does the starter fail to turn over in both park and neutral?

Attach file:

jpg  (48.06 KB)
209_4fd4fd8bcf3d1.jpg 468X568 px

Posted on: 2012/6/10 15:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With pushbutton Ultramatic control there is a starting relay just above the shift control relay (the one with 6 wires) on the inner fender behind the battery. Never heard of one going bad and the neutral safety switch is the more likely candidate. You can just jump across the transmission neutral switch to check it out.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 15:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The relay is the neutral safety switch on PB units. It is activated only when park or neutral is selected. That's the reason for the question if failure is in both selections. If only park or neutral position fails to start, then possibly a broken contact finger in PB assy. If both, most likely the relay or ign switch start contact or possibly power to those two PBs since solenoid checks good. That relay is also fed from the pressure switch so need to verify the shift motor is absolutely working in park, neutral and reverse.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
Thank you Big Kev,HH56 and Owen Dyneto for your suggestions and wiring diagram. I now have a starter "bumper" and it may take a few days for me to check this out and I will try to get back on here. 33Su8

Posted on: 2012/6/10 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I left the parking relay out with my pb. there was something i did not like about it.. i think it was that it went into park when you turned the key to off. or pulled battery cable...

My 400 did not have pb, i put it in,, took awhile to figure out. back in 1979.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 21:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
The starter does not do anything in any gear,I just hear a click on the fire wall. I have had the actuater overhauled and new wires from PB to it. I can't get under it to see anything at this time.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 21:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I left the parking relay out with my pb. there was something i did not like about it.. i think it was that it went into park when you turned the key to off. or pulled battery cable...

The auto park relay can be a PIA to some or work at inopportune times. There is a tech bulletin on how to eliminate the relay and auto park function.

I reworked mine so the relay is there and can function as designed if wanted but flipping a toggle switch will remove the auto park function and revert to full manual control for the times it might be advantageous.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

33su8 wrote:
The starter does not do anything in any gear,I just hear a click on the fire wall. I have had the actuater overhauled and new wires from PB to it. I can't get under it to see anything at this time.

Verify the shift motor works and you hear the transmission detenting when pushing the park, reverse and neutral buttons. Those buttons and the start relay are fed off the pressure switch which is a known failure item. If the shift motor works, that switch is OK but if shift motor does not work in those positions then the pressure switch would be a good place to start.

Also verify the plug contacts are all pushed in solidly on both sides of the square connector under dash. If one has worked loose and backed out -- another known issue --, that can also cause your problem.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 21:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved