Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Speedo cable help needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just curious, in regular maintenance, who goes to the trouble of oiling the speedometer at the point described in you photo? Could you imagine a mechanic in 1951 having to remove the instrument cluster or dash in a three year old car in order to put a drop of oil in the speedometer cable housing?

Generally the trace of oil & the oiled felt was good for the expected lifetime of the car. It became a more common practice as cars exceeded their normal lifetime and spent years in layup; the added years contributed to degradation of the lubricant. Just by example, I did oil the 34 speedo once, about 30 years ago and it's acting like it might be due again.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
you might check ebay 260952889973 for complete new cable, just make sure it is 87.5 inches long for overdrive trans. price is 35.00 plus shipping Dell

Posted on: 2012/6/23 20:56

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have a similar problem with my '49 (22nd series). The inner cable broke at the transmission fitting. The speedometer is stuck at 30 miles an hour. I suspect the speedometer 'froze up' and the cable twisted and broke as a result. I also picked up a generic replacement cable at NAPA but I'm not going to install it until I find out what's going on with the speedometer.

I have removed the old inner cable and I have the complete length in two pieces if you want me to measure it end to end. My car does have overdrive if that makes a difference (I think it does). I am planning on using the old cable as a template for cutting my generic cable. I can't guarantee that it'll be correct for your car.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.92 KB)
188_4fe68315803bb.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/6/23 22:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
JD,

Thanks! A measurement would help. If you know that you have an R9, I could use that as it should be the same length.

If you don't want to remove the speedo, you can try what I did with a small flat screwdriver, carefully turning it by hand after inserting into the back of the speedo. I sprayed contact cleaner around the hole and got mine to loosen up. That may not work for you, however, if as you say yours is stuck at 30 mph- you might have to take it apart and clean it.

If you do remove it, I would be very interested to know how you went about getting it out!

Posted on: 2012/6/23 23:01
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The inner cable I removed is 86 1/4" long tip to tip. I wouldn't take that as gospel, only a guide. My '49 has an R11.

I'll let you know how I do removing (or not removing) the speedometer.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, JD.

That should be the same as mine, according to the parts listing. It shows all 22nd and 23rd w/OD to be part no. 347535.

Yes, please let me know when you pull the speedo. I have heard it is best to pull the whole dash. That way you minimally disturb the wiring that won't want to flex. I am not sure how to get the dash out- I removed those top #3 phillips screws, and nothing would budge. I think there must be some bolts or something underneath. Anyway, if I can get the dash to pull away, it should be a piece of cake to get at the speedometer.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.13 KB)
4371_4fe79b0dd4acd.jpg 780X369 px

Posted on: 2012/6/24 17:56
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:

Yes, please let me know when you pull the speedo. I have heard it is best to pull the whole dash. That way you minimally disturb the wiring that won't want to flex. I am not sure how to get the dash out- I removed those top #3 phillips screws, and nothing would budge. I think there must be some bolts or something underneath. Anyway, if I can get the dash to pull away, it should be a piece of cake to get at the speedometer.

Removing the speedo is not easy due to the bulky wiring harness and working upside down, but is still easier than taking the whole dash out. The speedo is fastened to the instrument cluster with 3 slotted screws. You may need to tilt it a bit to get it out and the reset knob & cable for the trip odometer will need to be removed with the speedo if so equipped. I've done this before to service the speedo.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 19:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I concur with BDeB, more easily done by just going under the dash than by removing the instrument panel. But still not particularly enjoyable. Old age and bifocals a definate detriment.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's a photo of an instrument cluster I copped from ebay a few years ago. I had hoped that it would help orient me when I'm hanging upside down with my head clamped between the clutch and brake pedals. I think I spy two of the aforementioned screws (well, one's missing). I was going to use a mirror on a stick and a long thin screwdriver.

All after disconnecting the battery (of course).

Attach file:

jpg  (67.43 KB)
188_4fe7b8fc3b931.jpg 1280X618 px

Posted on: 2012/6/24 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I would like to get the whole cluster out so I could fix the clock, clean the UV bulb covers, replace all bulbs and service the speedo.

The screws mentioned in the above posts are for removing only the speedo, or the whole cluster?

That's kind of why I thought it might be better to pull the dash. I've heard it's easier than pulling the cluster assembly. Plus, I would like to refinish the woodgrain at some point.

But for now, if three small screws are all that stand between me getting the speedo cleaned and lubricated, I might be all in on that.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 20:11
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved