Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 Hardtop Side Roof Rail Weatherstrip
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Gents,

I seek some information re the weatherstrip that fits into the stainless roof rail fitting that goes above the windows on the side on a hardtop car. This is the weather strip that the side windows engage when they are rolled up. I have both stainless pieces but only one rubber, and it is on the ordinary side. I bought a complete weather-strip kit for the car but these pieces were not included. I am assuming that Steele do not make these pieces... Can anyone advise whether these are available in the US and where I might get them? Or, has anyone come up with an alternative solution? Thanks guys.

Warren Jones

Posted on: 2012/7/11 2:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Hardtop Side Roof Rail Weatherstrip
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A picture would be helpful. I am trying to picture what you mean by rubber?? Can you post a pic of the rubber you have?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 9:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Shall do Randy. I actully took a photo but was too big to post, so need to take another. Will post tomorrow...

Warren

Posted on: 2012/7/12 2:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Randy,

Find below photo's of the side roof rail fitting and weatherstrip as discussed. By rubber, I meant the weather strip section as shown.

Warren

Attach file:

jpg  (156.11 KB)
940_4fffc54ab131f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (157.76 KB)
940_4fffc580391d6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (150.37 KB)
940_4fffc5a81f241.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (153.38 KB)
940_4fffc61551497.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/13 1:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Warren,

Have you contacted Spectrum Rubber at Dunheved? Might be worth a try.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I thought you were talking about the "flippers" on a hardtop, but you are referring to the rubber on the curved part that the rear windows slide into. I don't think Steele carries those and do not have any idea where you might purchase them.
Try Mal's suggestion. I will search around but have never seen that item for sale. Sorry I can't be more help.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 2:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been yrs - more like 20 - so I don't remember if I looked and couldn't find or was just in one of my cheap moods at the time but --

Your pieces resemble ones I dealt with also having the fuzz on the sides torn up. My actual support pieces were not in too bad a shape. Can't tell if yours are worse or not but if still decent then there may be an option if you want to do it.

At any rate, I recovered what I had and while maybe not totally authentic, came out reasonably decent and they've held up rather well.

Steel has adhesive bowdrill tape which he says is used for covering the convertible weatherstrips. I bought a roll, and while it may be OK for earlier cars, it was plain canvas like cloth with a slight grain which I felt did not match the fuzzier texture on the 56 that well. Instead, I went to my friendly upholster and we looked thru some samples for a different material. Bought a half yard of black fuzzy dense material with just a slight grainy texture. Slightly thicker than original but worked. Still have a bit of the stuff & wish I could remember the name but just too long ago. Thinner stuff more like the original may be available in some of the velours today.

Anyway, cut into 3 strips and glued on with contact cement. Had assumed support was completely covered so my first attempt was a bust because I did the entire area. As evidenced by the contact cement still remaining (which I had forgotten about), had to remove middle strip after it was in the car because the window was binding and wouldn't move. If you try something like recovering, take note of where the originals were placed before removal. I didn't and also don't know why I never got around to doing it again to remove cement.

Also used the same material for the vertical pieces on the quarter window. Steel only has the plain rubber ones as used for earlier years.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.74 KB)
209_500030b510046.jpg 640X274 px

jpg  (35.23 KB)
209_500030c8d6b37.jpg 598X640 px

jpg  (28.43 KB)
209_500030eb730b2.jpg 466X640 px

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks Mal - I'll give them a try.

Waz

Posted on: 2012/7/15 21:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks Randy. Plenty of great responses coming from the Forum so hopeflly we'll end up with a solution... Waz

Posted on: 2012/7/15 21:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
I appreciate the detailed response Howard. Your photo's provide a good representation of the section view of the weatherstrip and your solution seems to have worked fine.

As I only have a weatherstrip for one side only, my plan of attack will be to pursue the option of trying to find a suitable modern rubber equivalent first. The lead that Mal put me onto (Spectrum Rubber) seem to have a very extensive product line. I'll also endevour to see if any of the more common makes (Ford, Chev etc) make a similar seal which can be utilised. I would assume that most hard top window frames wpuld be a similar thickness...

If I cannot find anything that suits, I'll then have to try and procure another second hand one so that I have both sides and will then recover similar to what you have done as this seems to have been quite effective. Whatever I end up with, I shall share with the Forum to share the knowledge. Thanks again.

Warren

Posted on: 2012/7/15 22:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved