Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

Marvin, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ebay 55 Patrician -> listed in owners registry.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Believe me, it is shiny compared to the original fabrics used by the factory on the Patrician. In 1956, there were few synthetics and for seat bolsters, Packard used a very tasteful and understated fabric of mostly natural fibers. Just as in clothes, you can't beat the look of natural fabrics. The "hand" of the fabric is also wrong on this car; it has too much pile; this was fine for Olds 98's of the seventies...but not for Packard in 1955! A car-to-car comparison would demonstrate this without a doubt.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 6:15
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
One does wonder what the restorer had in mind when selecting velour. My guess is that the owner took it to the local upholstery shop and looked thru the books of modern fabrics after the upholsterer (wrongly) informed him that there's 'No way' to find 60 year old fabric. A case of misinformation on the part of the upholsterer and a lack of Sherlocking on the part of the Packarder. That's what you get when 2 people with a lack of classic car experience do business.

Reupholstery is a fairly straightforward fix (when correct material is correctly installed). However, what would concern me more is the naivete of the owner in performing other restoration and routine maintenance, that's harder to see and usually a lot harder to fix.

When buying an old car, one must be vigilant to cues like this, and maybe more importantly, what they suggest about the the stuff not seen, and the overall integrity of the vehicle. Depending on one's needs (and personality!), some things are acceptable, and others are a clear warning sign of things to come.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 10:28
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Since the biggest cost in interior work is generally labor, it is particularly dim to save by using cheap shiny velour.

Many fifties cars are difficult to do correctly (didn't Patricians normally use patterned inserts?) because nylon and rayon multicolor and patterns were used, and SMS is particularly good at those. For broadcloth and Bedford Cord era stuff, wool looks right and polyblends and velours look obviously incorrect. I had great luck with Hirsch on a match.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 11:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Didn't sell, top bid was $11,088 with Reserve Not Met.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 3:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Yes, Packard used patterned inserts in 1955-56 featuring matelasses and jacquards. And yes, they had some "shine"--but tastefully so, and nothing like the upholstery fabric witnessed in the "restored" 55 Patrician of question.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 14:52
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved