Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 225

Don B, Alvin14, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Why don't museums feature values?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
How very vulgar "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

And you wonder why Packards are no longer made and why Packard people are too frequently seen as aloof and snobbish?

Posted on: 2012/7/17 10:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Oh, the sordid topic of coin!

Posted on: 2012/7/17 12:40
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
there's a pragmatic reason. The description doesn't change - the value does. Creates an update issue.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Creates an update issue

Of course it does. So? It's neither torturous or cruel. Every couple of years---or when and if the market goes nuts, you print a new card. Assuming you are insured, you should be on top of this as a matter of course.

There are always non issues that keep coming up as issues--like this one.

Setting a value isn't that difficult, in part because the item isn't for sale. If you have a Darrin in #1 condition, just use the price guide or look at the last auction for something similar. It isn't about being worth exactly 362, 292,13 dollars, because that figure will be incorrect tomorrow. It's about the illusion of accuracy, which is what a price guide is.

If you won't pay that, it isn't worth it to you....but then you aren't the buyer.

If this is the most asked question, we should have a suitable strategy to give a reasonable answer. I saw a similar car sell for xxxxxx dollars last winter is fine. In the case of my car I could say that it costs less than a new car if I want to be vague, not that I have any reason to be so coy.

When we get cute about the value it makes us look bad/arrogant/aloof/snobbish. What good comes from that?

There, I've said enough on this topic.....

Posted on: 2012/7/17 14:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would think a better piece of information for a Museum to post if they felt the need to post something in regards to a cars monetary value, would be what the car originally sold for new, and perhaps what that translates into today dollar. This isn't subject to auction or speculative values, but is a firm number that would only change with inflation.

For example, my '54 Clipper Deluxe sold for $2,692 new in 1954, which is the equivalent of $18,046 in todays money.

Now those are real dollars that the average person can understand.

Here is a calculator is anyone else wants to check their car's value in todays money. You can get the original sales price from the Model Info Pages.

http://www.1soft.com/todaysdollars.htm

Regards,

Posted on: 2012/7/23 11:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin,

Well done! I was thinking the same, but decided not to post as the clutter on this topic was getting too deep.

However... Automobiles, unlike fine art objects, are something that most of us can more easily relate to. We buy and drive our motor vehicles on a regular basis. Some of us even collect, restore, display, and tour our vintage vehicles. Price/value information (like you suggest) would be appropriate for an auto museum to display, unlike museums that display fine art objects.

Welcome back. I have driven the PCH and it is a wonderful route with views not to be forgotten. It is even better in an open car, preferably a 2-seater.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/23 13:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hmmm.... Kevin, your calculator seems to be off - it only adjusts for inflation up to 2002/3.

You would be better off using the government provided calculator:http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm/

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:17
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok....so then it would be $22,964.86!

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I agree that the cost in today's dollars is a much better figure. People who weren't there and have no real conceptualization of the *thing* on display ask in an attempt to gain a better understanding of what it is they're looking at. I think the owner's inability to answer leads to the awkwardness. What's it worth? What some self appointed know it all in some self righteous 'Price guide'says? What two people with more money than sense or appreciation bid recently? The point is, you cannot value desirability, but you can offer a frame work of understanding to the uninformed so that they can better appreciate the unknown.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 17:48
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I like the inflation adjusted price idea, although I still think they don't want to invite larceny and so they don't show numbers.

Once when I was accused of taking too long on something I responded "This car cost twice the price of the average American home when it was new." Rolls-Royce owners never complained about things like that (That would be 10 times for a typical PII).

Posted on: 2012/7/23 19:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved