Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 209

Todd W. White, Packard Don, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What Tranny do I have?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

49packard wrote:
Borg-Warner did make transmissions/overdrives for Packard at least as early as the 22nd series. Visually, they seem to be the same as earlier Packard transmissions of the earlier design top loaders.

Nope. Packard made their own transmissions through the 1954 models, but used BW overdrives in back of them. All of the Packard-built transmissions were top loaders.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/14 21:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
My information was meant to be for overdrives. Sorry for the confusion. I guess I'm using the term top loader incorrectly. My understanding was that "top loader" referred to the floor shift system and didn't include the side shift.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 22:33
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Adapting a Packard transmission to a 283 Chevy. Well, the short answer is I do not know. Now, since this is a free forum on the internet where everything is true, I would still speculate not without its own set of headaches. I think a quick measurement from pilot bushing to trans face should give a clue. Could it be adapted. Probably - hopefully some more knowledgeable expurts will chime in with hands on experience.
Oh, and what do you have for a top for this transmission?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
49packard,

I apologize for misunderstanding your posting.

The Packard-built transmissions with column shift were also "top loaders". This design necessitated a complicated shift linkage arrangement utilizing idler arms to change the direction of motion from the column shift lever to the levers on the transmission so the conventional shifting pattern could be maintained.

Some have adapted floor shift tops (pre-1939 Junior type) to column shift transmissions. They both fasten to the top of the transmission.

I believe the Packard transmission you have will fit your SBC engine without major modifications. Flackmaster's advice is a good first step. Packard transmissions were popular with hot rodders because of their strength. What is the SBC going into?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/15 9:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

51WillyWagon
See User information
Here are photos of the top shifter.

I am hoping that I can get a model number so I can order a rebuild kit, but don't want to just buy a generic kit.

I am planning on putting this transmission with a SBC 283 into a 1951 Willy's Station Wagon. The engine came from a 61 Willy PickUp that was using a BW T90 and Dana 18 case, but that was a 4wd vehicle and the Station wagon is 2wd. The unknown transmission came from the station wagon and the preveious owner thinks it is a packard 409 or 384, but he doesn't remember. I cannot find any information about either of those models from Packard. So I hope you guys can shed more light on the subject and we get this unknown model a real model number.

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (85.66 KB)
4820_502bb75dd8cf8.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (78.94 KB)
4820_502bb763ef942.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (85.64 KB)
4820_502bb76a28a9e.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (69.61 KB)
4820_502bb77006c9b.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (117.51 KB)
4820_502bb7777c89b.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Those shift forks appear to be modified- I had to make similar mods to adapt my 38 shifter to work on an R11 OD. Have you tried to shift the tranny with that top on it? It doesn't seem like it would work.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 12:02
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved