Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 235

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Garage Renovation
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I just thought I would share what I have been tinkering with the last few weeks. I basically ripped out a very old tool bench, built a new one that is ladder framed with 2x4s (16" on center), with a 3/4" sanded plywood top, and lag bolted to the wall. It's 16' long and gives me ton of counter space. Also gives me lots of under bench space for the compressor, tool box, and the office file cabinents that are filled with the small parts of the Packard.

I put the Media Blaster on the other side of garage with the drill press, and part washer. Only thing left to do is run black pipe all over the garage for the compressor airlines. But that will come later. I am choosing to run black pipe as it helps to condense the water from the air, so the water trap works better. I plan on shooting the primer on the Packard myself as well as the finish coats on the door jams, engine compartment, and inside the trunk. So I want the air as dry as I can get it. Plus dry lines really help when using the Media Blaster.

Anyway enough of my babble...pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.85 KB)
1_489bba4dd8f30.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (44.33 KB)
1_489bba5e65af0.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (49.14 KB)
1_489bba6fd62dd.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (46.31 KB)
1_489bba8d2968e.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (32.64 KB)
1_489bba9d5cf72.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/7 22:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Garage Renovation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Well I just thought I would share what I have been tinkering with the last few weeks. I basically ripped out a very old tool bench, built a new one that is ladder framed with 2x4s (16" on center), with a 3/4" sanded plywood top, and lag bolted to the wall. It's 16' long and gives me ton of counter space. Also gives me lots of under bench space for the compressor, tool box, and the office file cabinents that are filled with the small parts of the Packard........

Kev,

Plenty of space for now, that is. Isn't there some law, like the one about computer speed doubling every so many years, but pertinent to disappearance of space in garages and garage bench tops?

Posted on: 2008/8/7 22:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Looking good! Your preparations will help a lot when the real work starts with the spraying! That workbench looks good and pretty strong. I do not touch anything at the moment as i am afraid I will loose something if I shift stuff around!

Posted on: 2008/8/8 1:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
BigKev I think that door to the yard is now a thing of the past. You ran yourself outta wall. Hahahaha

Posted on: 2008/8/8 5:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Very Very Nice BigKev!
Plenty of elbow room, and a place for all your stuff!
Great job!
It makes my garage look like an outdoor shed..oh wait it is an outdoor shed!

Posted on: 2008/8/8 5:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Great looking garage kev. Much nicer looking than mine except I have two steel work benches from the local Packard dealer in mine.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 7:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Looking good. It's a shame that all the time working on a shop is taking time from the Packard work. But, it sure feels good when you go out to work and the place looks this good. Doesn't it.

Years ago, you can tell I'm getting older, my fathers shop had great work benches. I learned a great deal working with him. I remember that he had topped a section of one of his benches with a piece of 1/8" steel. I found that it really is a good thing to have. So, I have done a 2' section of mine the same way. When I bought the metal I had the guys bend a 2" lip on one side so it drops over the front of the bench.
You might think of something similar. Try it You'll like it.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 8:20
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That sounds similar to what I want to do later on.

The benches are 2ft deep. So I was going to surface the top of them with either 1/8" sheet of steel, or a 1/4 sheet of aluminum but leave the front of the bench with wood trim. I will just move the trim up a little bit so the metal sheet will sit flush between the trim and the backsplash. That way I can pull them off if needed for cleaning, and also if I am doing electrical work, and I dont want to do that on a sheet of metal.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 11:45
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
not enuf lite in your shop.

I have a 14 foot wood bench, 6 foot ALL STEEL bench, 8 foot wood bench 3 feet deep and a combination steel legged and wood topped bench made from an old door. The first two benches are covered with 1/8 masonite. The masonite makes a great work suface and is cheap and smooth and durable. All benches are extremely heavy. One with large vice and arbour press one other with just large vice. The masonite is an excellent bench top.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 13:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have more lights ready to be put up. The front half of the garage is dark beacuse the door is up. When down, the light is way better.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 14:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved