Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

crunch, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Grease Cap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
The grease cap on my car keeps comming off. I hear it rattle and then it ends up getting stuck inside the wheel cover. It seems tight when I put it back on, but it comes loose in a couple of miles. I have 3 ideas:
1. Buy a replacement from the usual suspects, but $25 seems like a lot of money.

2. Can I find a replacement from NAPA or other local auto parts store?

3. A Packard friend suggested that I cut across the diameter, making 2 slits in the outer rim. Then slightly bend the cuts outward to make it fit tighter.

Any comments from the experts out in Packard Land?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:22
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Re: Grease Cap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I would try putting it in a vise, and giving it a little squeeze to set it slightly out of round. Just a tiny bit, enough to give it some interference.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:33
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Drive a socket in it. U'll moswt likely need a tapered socket something like an older SK socket.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've used a center punch and punched a couple of dimples on the inside of the part that enters the hub. That was enough to secure the cap.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 22:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy's method is a machine shop classic. It's called "stipling" and is a method of expanding or reducing a circumference, for example stipling the inside of a brake drum hub so a bearing race fits more snugly. It's akin to knurling a piston skirt to expand the diameter.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Paul:

If the cap is falling off then it will also leak.

Go to the auto store and buy some Permatex #1 hard setting gasket sealer. Glue the thing on with that. Or you can use epoxy given meticulous cleaning.

If you take the thing to a good parts store they may be able to rustle you up a similar unit as well. Those are getting hard to find because alot of these franchise joints are staffed by people who are hired because they are amicably dumb.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
If you use epoxy and clean it well it will bond so well you will have to destroy something to get it off. I suggest instead using a small bead of RTV to prevent leaks, or better yet just buying a cap that fits.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 9:00
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Nothing to lose by "stipling" as recommended by Randy and Owen. It has worked for me in other situations. Then, run a small bead of silicon to prevent leakage as recommended by Fred.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/21 11:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
No problem with epoxy. Just heat the cap carefully with propane and the epoxy gives up the ghost.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Stipling seems like a great idea. I was going to suggest using an exhaust pipe expander to give it a little stretch. You can get them as a loaner from most part stores.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:14
[url=h
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved