Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How many folks on this site DO NOT belong to a local Packard club?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
I think most Packard clubs would disown me in about 5 seconds.

Actually, most are more lenient than you may think. Otherwise who would join?

Why do you think they call them "man-caves"?

Posted on: 2012/9/16 3:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Quote:

excerpt:
I do not belong to a Packard club, but do belong to another club. One club's politics are enough for me. What I like about this forum is the lack of politics. It allows "for the free exchange of information ..." which is the stated purpose of at least one of the major antique car clubs.

Could not agree more..same here...Thanks to Kevin and all those who contribute. Dan aka dep5

Posted on: 2012/9/16 7:21
Dan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Kev's vision of a platform to share information, experience, and a social discourse has reached proportions that I'm sure not even the big man himself could have anticipated.

Clubs have a role. First and foremost, we need a group who are willing to fund and support the unintended or calculated attempts by some to end our hobby. Be it an interest in environmental stewardship or people who view the artwork we drive as an eyesore, we need to have some organized capability and funding to protect our point of view. Our car clubs are a way of serving that purpose.

Clubs are a place where the virtual experience on this website can be turned into some hands on coaching by local Packard collectors who have that ability to turn the parts lists, owners manuals, and shop manuals into results on the car. Many of the very early Packard factory support materials presume the reader already has a working knowledge of some procedures that were never documented. Having local help can pay off.

Clubs offer social activities, like tours. For me, there's a lot less anxiety taking a 100 plus mile drive in the Packard if there are some "experts" in the caravan who can help you get home if your Packard decides its time for a hose or belt to break, a water pump to fail or something worse.

In addition to the info on this site, the Packard Clubs produce newsletters and other materials that contain fascinating stories of the technical, business aspect, design, and people who created our cars that are always interesting. To some Packard junkies, you can't send us too much information. While I'm not in the geography of some clubs, I'm a member just to receive their publications.

By their very design, clubs (like this forum) are composed of people. My experience has been that Packard people on the whole are no different than the population in general. There are always some people who enjoy a good debate and are willing to take either side of the argument, aggressively. There are others who know that their opinion is fact while others of us just want to enjoy the ride.

Many members of our forum live in an area where there is no local Packard Club. However, there are lots of other car clubs that would more than welcome you Packard or your enthusiasm for Packards.

So, while this is a great forum that needs to be perpetuated for many decades to come, if for no other reason than to protect our hobby for the rules and legislation of non-car lovers, I'd encourage a club membership (a Packard Club if you prefer) in addition to supporting Kev and those who make this site so valuable.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

N.C.23rdPackard
See User information
The PAC club seems a bit stuffy for me...I will still probably join for the periodicals tho. I am about 2 more slaps on the wrist for being uncouth away from telling them to kiss my ass over there (sorry Dave). I had to remind them that the REALLY rich guys don't ACT all rich and stuck up, only the KINDA rich ones. Lets just talk cars, accept that variety in people is the spice of life, and stop trying to out fancy pants each other (PAC site) I DO like this one, AND other then Dave over there (Owen here) this one is way more helpful, AND that one seems kinda dead as a post might stay at the top of a board for weeks! Just my $.02 I am glad that I am "ALLOWED" to give it.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 10:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

vicpick58
See User information
A previous owner had installed the hydramatic to the original vin number matching 374.

As far as alterations that I could see, the steering column had been changed to one with a shift lever instead of the buttons. The plastic piece for the shift indicator had been modified to show the correct position for the hydromatic.

As for how it bolted on to the Packard V8, I have no idea how that was done, It looked like they cut down a twin ultramatic bell housing to fit. The hydramatic had no torque converter so there was no cooler involved.

Due to the width of the hydramatic and linkage there was no room for the drivers side exhaust pipe, so it had single exhaust with the pipe running under the oil pan like a clipper.

It worked fairly well, but in my opinion the performance was not ideal for the Packard compared to a twin ultramatic that is working properly. However it would probably be more reliable in the long run.

My car had the oil pressure issue with the engine, it would be fine for short drives or long drives at highway speed but after a long drive it would lose oil pressure when I slowed down. I could not afford a rebuild at the time so I sold the car.

This was all before I had the internet, so being a member of the PI was a great source of information at the time. I also enjoyed the outings that they had once a month.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 11:49
Former owner of: 1955 Clipper Constellation
1956 400
1956 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mike, well said by one of the best editors of one of the best club publications of one of the best clubs.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/16 12:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I belonged to Packards North Texas for many years and enjoyed it very much. The members were very helpful to me and my efforts in keeping my cars alive, especially as a younger member. The only reason I don't belong to a Packard club now is that there isn't one in Montana.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

vicpick58 wrote:
A previous owner had installed the hydramatic to the original vin number matching 374.

As far as alterations that I could see, the steering column had been changed to one with a shift lever instead of the buttons. The plastic piece for the shift indicator had been modified to show the correct position for the hydromatic.

As for how it bolted on to the Packard V8, I have no idea how that was done, It looked like they cut down a twin ultramatic bell housing to fit. The hydramatic had no torque converter so there was no cooler involved.

Due to the width of the hydramatic and linkage there was no room for the drivers side exhaust pipe, so it had single exhaust with the pipe running under the oil pan like a clipper.

It worked fairly well, but in my opinion the performance was not ideal for the Packard compared to a twin ultramatic that is working properly. However it would probably be more reliable in the long run.

My car had the oil pressure issue with the engine, it would be fine for short drives or long drives at highway speed but after a long drive it would lose oil pressure when I slowed down. I could not afford a rebuild at the time so I sold the car.

This was all before I had the internet, so being a member of the PI was a great source of information at the time. I also enjoyed the outings that they had once a month.

Thanks for the info on you '56 Patrician. I found that very interesting. But your post does raise a question for me that this may not be the place for. That is, How does an automatic transmission work without a torque converter? I had heard that the Hydramatic didn't have one once before but discounted it as a sort of urban legend. I've driven Hydramatics but without a T-C, how do they come to a stop without killing the engine. I guess it would be some sort of mechanical clutch but.....

It dawned on me that I had the answer to my question right on my bookshelf in the guise of my 1955 "MOTOR" Manual. Sure enough in the Hydramatic section I found everything I wanted to know about the Hydramatic and more.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 0:54
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Miles Whetham
See User information
I haven't joined the local (State) packard club but did join the main Packard Club after I bought mine. Did the same with the Willys Overland Knight Registry after I bought my 23 Willys Knight. I like getting the mailers with info, adds, events etc. Maybe someday I will actually get the opportunity to attend some events. In the meantime, I do belong to a local car club (mostly muscle cars and street rods) for the companionship and to talk cars. I am pleased that these guys are also appreciative of the older originals like I have.
Miles

Posted on: 2012/9/18 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx.

Seriously, been thinking about joining the Wisconsin club, just haven't got around to it. No other reason than procrastination.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 21:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved