Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 251

William Grosz, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Fuel parts rebuilder
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Can someone tell me who is a good reputable shop that can rebuild my dual action fuel pump? This is on a 1950 Packard.
I purchased a rebuild about a year ago and the it looks like the parts were not compatible with the new better gas we are running now. I definitely want a guarantee with this one if at all possible.

While I am at it I want to get the 2 bbl Carter rebuilt also.

Please help I need to take this beast on a road trip in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2012/9/23 10:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel parts rebuilder
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Re; The pump that only lasted 1 year:

Did u buy it from a specialty vintage parts vendor or from a local auto parts store???

Posted on: 2012/9/23 10:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I am looking for the paperwork for it .. not sure. I would think a vendor. Don't think I could get those pumps from anyone local i.e. NAPA. OR can I ?

For now, I need to get the parts rebuilt and I will deal with
whoever later.

OTG

Posted on: 2012/9/23 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
TRy O'reillies (local discount chain). I bought a dual action for my Packard 56 V8 about 3 days ago. $59.oo. Altho i make no claim as to it's compatibility with modern gas. Hav'nt had a chance to try it yet. NOTE that there has been reports of NAPA REBUILD kits for carbs NOT compatible.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 10:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Then and Nowhttp://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm claims their parts are compatible with modern gas and are located fairly close to you in MA. They do rebuilding with a $125 listed for dual action pumps with any metal parts needed as extra. They also sell kits only.

Quote:
Our kits contain all the parts usually needed to repair an old, tired pump. Diaphragms, gaskets, seals and valves are all new fresh stock of materials intended for use with today's fuels, including fuel with alcohol content. Our diaphragms are made of fabric reinforced Buna-N Nitrile rubber- the correct choice of the more than 400 different varieties of synthetic rubber made today. It is the one, single, correct, material for use with today's fuels. We've seen our kits in service after 40,000 miles and 10 years of driving and they show very little ageing.

Daytona Partshttp://www.daytonaparts.com/ rebuilds carburetors and also claim their parts are compatible with modern gas

Quote:
We specialize in restoring your carburetor to OEM specs with parts that are Ethanol resistant to allow your carburetor to perform and last longer with modern fuel mixtures.

Several posters here have used both companies and report satisfaction. Getting either rebuild done within your two week turnaround may be asking a lot.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 10:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"Don't think I could get those pumps from anyone local i.e. NAPA. OR can I ?"

Just have to try. It's called shopping.

And quote:
"...I will deal with whoever later."

Yes, that is a personal problem that only u can deal with. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be a smart ass. We are ALL trying to keep our cars running. WE all have to gather the facts as much as we can. What was a good part of a good supplier 5 years ago mite not be today and via-versa for bad parts. It is an onging effort, nearly on a daily basis for many of us running 4 or more (in my case as many as 8) vintage vehicles. The entire vintage tin environment is changing even more rapidly now than ever before.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe if he can find a local pump, even if it turns out not to be compatible with modern fuel, it will get him on the road for the intereim year. Buy's him time on the short turn around time he needs rite now.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 11:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I buy ethanol free gas for my collectible cars and for my equipment with small engines. Isn't it available everywhere? It is more expensive, but might be saving repair costs.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 13:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
None of the regular gas stations in So. Calif carry it. Perhaps if I went to a speciality place that also carried the Hi-Po racing fuels, they may have it.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 13:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If my recollection of the Clean Air Act Ammendments is still correct, ethanol-free gasoline is not available in any region that has not met it's CCA requirements, meaning most all built-up and populated or industrial regions.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 13:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved