Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Transmission Interchangeability?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
Will your '39 transmission with overdrive bolt up to our 6 cylinder engine without any modifications? Is it a R9 or a R6 that others have referred to? What's the difference between the R6 and R9 overdrives?

I certainly would be interested in buying your '39 overdrive transmission if the price is reasonable. We have a 4.54:1 rear end ration in our '38, so we really need an overdrive.

We are also considering the installation of an older Ford Ranger 4 speed transmission where the 4th gear is overdrive.
We think the front mounting on this transmission will fit on our flywheel/clutch housing without too much modification. Of course, we'd have to use a Ford clutch disc and install the proper size pilot bearing. Has anyone done this kind of modification?

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yes, the 39 R6 is a direct bolt-up, no issues with that. I believe the overdrive final drive ratio is the same - 22% savings comes to mind, but its late... There is a huge difference in the wiring of an R9 vs. an R6. In short, the R9 integrates a governor to "allow" overdrive to engage, and a complex/expensive relay to coordinate solenoid operation. Certainly can be done but represents more parts, and more potential electrical issues. The R6 is much more of a "one wire" installation, when the overdrive is engaged, energy to the solenoid to allow operation, and a simple kickdown switch to disengage. In either case you will have to make a "delicate adaptation" at the crossmember to fit the overdrive section into position, just know the crossmember area is quite robust and a few reinforcement plates if you feel the need will not be difficult to fabricate.

I am not familiar with adaptation of a Ford Ranger gearbox, if you go this route, please, please keep detailed notes and post accordingly. I do know of a 38/39 owner who installed a Toyota transmission with an overdrive 5th gear as well, so there may indeed be creative options. Sorry to say Toyota trans guy never got back to me with pictures or notes so this is merely a "one guys solution" story. But then you really open up yourself to engineering challenges and, heaven forbid, the criticism of putting a Ford transmission in a Packard. Far be it for me to point fingers...in fact, I'd be real interested to know what additional options are out there.

The transmission pictured is crated and read to ship, price...hmmm...I saw two R9's at Hershey change hands in the 4 digits, and I just sold an R9 in the same ballpark. Is an R6 worth more or less? For your purposes, I believe it worth more because you won't get bogged down in the electronics of the R9, which is truthfully why I brought up the option; to others, it is sometimes viewed as the bastard stepchild of Packard overdrives, being a one-year only overdrive section(the transmission section is basically the same to 54). I want to sell it to someone such as yourself who truly needs it (4.54's OUCH!) So I will ask 1239.38 and see what counteroffer we can agree on. Please make an informed decision whichever way you proceed.

Incidentally, I have a set of 3.92 gears if you want to go that route...

Posted on: 2013/1/21 0:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I put an R11 in my 38 Jr.- wiring is easy enough and there is an R11 on ebay right now for $750
Search Packard overdrive

Posted on: 2013/1/21 7:11
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
Thanks for all the info about the overdrive retrofit.
We'll have to think about this a little more before trying to do this job.

I think that we might try the rear end gear ratio change first. That sounds like an easier job that should help lower the engine RPM's at highway speeds.

Flackmaster, how little will you take for the 3.92:1 rear end gears? I assume that it is the complete 3rd member that will fit our '38 Packard 6 1600 model, and that it is in good working condition?

By the way, I think a lot of the Ford Ranger parts (including the transmissions) were made by Mitsubishi or other Japanese companies.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Negative. One ring gear, One pinion gear, One flat rate box....
"good used"
$400.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Just some more food for thought
My 38 with the R11 OD and a 4:36 rear and DB700R 15 tires cruises comfortably at 60 MPH at about 2250 RPM. I'll have to to some suspension work to be comfortable at higher speed cruising. With a GPS and Tach 2500 rpm gives me 66 mph

Posted on: 2013/1/23 16:21
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved