Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 195

Packard Newbie, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Some 1934 1104 details
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Very commendable goal, Tom. Keep in mind, though, that many of those factory photos were taken very early on, and many things could have (and did) change for production. In my opinion, it's best not to use one source. As it seems Tom R. is doing, pay close attention to what plating or type of paint was used on any of your original parts.

What was (is) the vacuum gauge for? Is that standard equipment?

Posted on: 2013/2/5 12:30
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, after chatting with some folks who really ought to know, I'm now quite convinced the generator field pole screws should be nickel-plated and not painted over.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
FAN
On fans with Alum Blades RIVETS were left natural color. Assuming the blades were cut and formed from a polished sheet and then assembled to a painted hub. Thus on the painted side there r these silver rivets showing.

SPLASH SHIELDS / Engine Pans
Saw a set on a NON black chassis that had the top black and the underside the chassis color. Pretty sure it was factory. Weather they all came this way?

GLYPTAL
Ive seen this stuff used on other engine mfg but never on PACKARDs. Philosophy behind it was for casting sealing of pores and/or if there was any sand residue from casting to seal it in place. Some state for oil flow. Often wondered why PACKARD didnt use this to seal there alum casting, espeshally the pan. Ive chased oil leaks on engines for yrs and finally convinced myself that most of that oil on the floor is coming from seepage thru the engine pan alum casting pores. Few yrs back in ran across a 30s LINCOLN Service Letter that stated the outside of their crank cases and pan were painted with SILVER SHELLAC. Thinking they did this for casting sealing on the outside of the engine vrs the inside plus they got a PRETTY from it. DID PACKARD DO THIS? I think ive picked up alum paint/or on some pan nuts on virgin engines. Those cast iron rocker arms assembles got painted with something.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
PackardBerry,

Thank you for the information. Do you know if the aluminum fans were used in 1934?

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/7 12:52
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1934 fan blades are steel.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Very commendable goal, Tom. Keep in mind, though, that many of those factory photos were taken very early on, and many things could have (and did) change for production. In my opinion, it's best not to use one source. As it seems Tom R. is doing, pay close attention to what plating or type of paint was used on any of your original parts.

What was (is) the vacuum gauge for? Is that standard equipment?

West,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your post. I somehow missed it.

Tom and I are aware of the pre-production aspect of factory photos. We are doing our best to rely on information from actual production.

The vacuum gauge was added. The gauge itself is pre-war. We are keeping the gauge because it is very handy when tuning this car. It can always be removed later for a factory look.

Which brings me to a further clarification of my philosophy of restoration on this car. I want it to be as close to factory accurate as possible, and where there are deviations, it is very obvious and easily brought back to original. Any deviations are also present because they make operating and maintaining the car easier; such that any modifications fit the earlier premise. In other words, ado and aodn0j0a onad oiida a .

Clear?

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/7 13:02
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Re: Red Lead

I think Buick used the stuff and that new castings were dipped prior to machining. If the blocks were being shipped and stored then that would prevent rust.

However, that was a lead based paint and far more durable than modern stuff. I have seen those old lead based paints withstand real torture and stay in place after modern paints fell off.

Now those were new blocks. I use cast iron for cooking and nothing sticks to it because is has been seasoned with grease.

I would not trust any paint coating inside a heat and oil weathered motor.

As mentioned previously I have seen the stuff fall off inside a Packard V-12 and fill up the oil filter. And the motor had noisy valves to boot. However, I am well aware that religion causes strange behavior and so I don't expect people to change so I just kept my mouth shut. But here we are interested in the facts - right?

Posted on: 2013/2/7 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Re: epoxy coating on aluminum castings

Yes, we are definitely interested in the facts. I am hoping that this motor will get driven many miles per year. I will keep all apprised of its condition.

Of course, regardless of outcome, for this experiment n=1.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/7 18:14
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own experiences with glyptal on my 34 engine and quite a few others I'm familiar with are completely opposite of what Tim has observed. Perhaps differences in surface preparation (cleanliness) and glyptal application techniques explains his unfortunate experience? Next time I have a chance I'll ask Automotive Restorations what their experiences are, they do plenty of Classic-era Packard engines and have for years.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I never used the stuff. I had people try to tell me to install it and I just forgot. I'd be particularly worried if there is no filter to capture it.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 0:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved