Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 roof
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tomlempicke
See User information
I have a 1500 touring sedan from 1937. The top has a very large inset fabric panel. What was the purpose of this? Was it because they couldn't make a steel stamping that big or was it supposed to be decorative.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 14:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 roof
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"..Was it because they couldn't make a steel stamping that big.." That's it! In 1938, for Packard, the first all steel bodies were introduced.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 14:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
You got it.Packard did no go to an all steel body until 1938 although I believe the senior cars still had the insert in 38.The 12 still had it in 39 but the super eight was using the 120 body by then.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 14:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another often cited contributor to the longevity of the rubber insert type roof among small volume manufacturers like Packard and Pierce Arrow was, unlike the majors, they built a low number of cars and of several different body styles (and 2 entirely different series for Packard) and amortizing the cost of multiple huge roof dies dies over very low production models (for example, the fixed coupe) was just impossible.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ford used the rubberized fabric top for many years as did Chevrolet and other manufacturers. I've been told it was the inability to stamp out that large of a piece of metal. Most cars I know of had steel tops by 1936 or 37. If you look at some of the Model A repair manuals, they have very comprehensive instructions on how to install a new top. Chicken wire is the support material, with horsehair for stuffing.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Was the insert always leather or canvas? My 1707's insert almost looks like its a aluminum sheet.

I can understand that they could make a stamping for big roofs, but even coupes have the insert, did the technology not even exist for small roofs?

Posted on: 2013/3/6 7:34
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Was the insert always leather or canvas?

Never heard of a leather or canvas insert, they wouldn't have the water-repellant properties needed. They were a rubber-impregnated and coated fabric cord. If yours is aluminim, it's the result of some later modification.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
You know, as long as we're on the subject of bodies...why did it take so long for manufacturers to use "full-width" bodies?

As lovely as separate fenders/running boards look, I wonder why making passenger compartments wider never occurred to manufacturers/stylists until much later.

I also wonder why wood-bodied station wagons persisted for so long as well, but that's a separate thread...

Posted on: 2013/3/6 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The problem with making a 1 piece roof was in getting sheet metal wide enough. The steel mills simply could not make it.

This problem was addressed in 1934. New steel mills began producing wider sheet metal, wide enough to make a whole roof in one stamping.

General Motors was the first to take advantage of this with their Turret Top bodies. Cheaper models like the base Chevrolet sedan continued to use the top insert for a couple more years.

Even with the steel available, manufacturers had to invest in giant presses and dies capable of making parts more than twice as big as they had ever made before.

The roof with fabric insert was made in 4 pieces with short seams at the corners welded together and smoothed over with lead body solder.

The 1936 Cord had a one piece roof even though they did not have the presses and dies to make it. The roof was made of 7 stampings, laboriously welded together and the seams filled with lead, then filed and sanded smooth. Very costly and time consuming. This was only feasible on a car that sold for more than a Cadillac.

By 1937 only a few cars were still made the old way. The cheapest Plymouths for example. Even there, for a few extra bucks you got a steel insert fitted into the roof instead of the vinyl like oilcloth.

Your aluminum insert could have come from the factory or it could have been made up to replace the old fabric.

The roof material was an artificial leather or oilcloth that resembled the material used on vinyl tops.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
How do I tell if it came of the line with the aluminum insert?

Posted on: 2013/3/7 21:57
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved