Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 225

BigKev, TxGoat, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 133 134 135 (136) 137 138 139 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Don't forget I have two spare distributors that could use the parts I sent

Posted on: 2013/3/9 2:19
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 12th March 2013

A surprise greeted me on arrival at the workshop as I drove up the driveway, with the sight of Chris, starliner, and his '54 Clipper Super Club Sedan in the carpark. However what started out as a pleasant day didn't take long to turn round soon after my arrival. First John informs me he's just been called by Wade who's about to call me because Roy has, in Rolls Royce parlance, "failed to proceed"! No sooner than John had informed than Wade called who confirmed those words of doom, but ever the realist, was also thinking ahead. I was issued with instructions to remove Big Red from it's place in the workshop so Chris's '54 could take it's place on the hoist. Chris having brought the '54 over so he could get it onto the hoist for a pre Phillip Island inspection and greasing. In some ways I felt priviliged because I'd never experienced the opportunity of driving Big Red before. After Rick moved a car out of the way I "drove" Big Red out, parked her in the carpark then Chris backed his '54 into the workshop. Once inside the '54 went up on the hoist and work underneath began. First was attention to one of the bolts holding on the Ultramatic's pan, it had broken off! Chris was very adept, centre-punching a hole in the stump of the remainder of the threaded body of the bolt, drilling a couple of progressively bigger holes then using an ezi-out to extract the offending piece of metal. Then I dived into the junk box and found a bolt, complete with lock washer, of the right thread, size and length to take it's place. First job done Chris then looked to find the source of an annoying banging emanating from somewhere towards the rear of the car which he'd been experiencing. This turned out to be the exhaust pipe touching the forward part of the differential floor tunnel. The '54 doesn't have a correct muffler and in it's installation the bend had been located just an inch or so too far forward. Chris was going to go straight to his exhaust guy on his way home for rectification to occur, but I'll come back to that.

It was about this time that Wade and Roy arrived, rather ingloriously, courtesy of a Tilt Tray Tow Truck. The Distributor cap that Wade had picked up from Richard on Saturday was the right one and, yesterday, Wade had driven Roy home as part of the usual Complete Packard Customer Assurance Program test drive process. By the way, thanks to both Fred, pepepackard, and John, Appin, for your offers of parts assistance. Roy went home with Wade last night without any dramas but coming in this morning, after stopping to put the top up because inclement weather was raising it's ugly head, failed! The electrical system was dead, at least at the dash, but on hot-wiring Roy, Wade still couldn't get Roy to start even though it cranked freely. Roy was winched off the TTTT then pushed in behind Big Red to await further attention.

Inside the workshop Chris was checking and tightening bolts to ensure all was well for the trip. And then Noel, in Fleurette, arrived together with some of the people I'd met at Hershey last year. With Noel were DAF, Eric, Louis and Louis's wife Ellen, they had made the trip down-under to among other things attend our National Packard Rally. But what were they doing at the workshop? Besides the social aspects of the visit there was a sinister undertone, Fleurette had developed a "noise" since last at the Workshop. It had been noticed when Noel had fired her up a few days earlier and it was decided that a trip to the good Doctor, aka Wade, was in order. So after listening aurally to the noise, listening with the help of a mechanics stethoscope(in this case a prybar!) and then disengaging plug leads one by one and taking note of changes a diagnosis of a piston problem was given by the good Doctor, possibly a broken piston. The Doctor also recommended immediate hospitalisation, although treatment cannot begin until after returning from Phillip Island. This then created an immediate logistics problem, how was Noel going to continue to offer his guests the hospitality they were used to. No problem says Mal, Wade can lend them his dual cab Ute! Fortunately Wade was agreeable to my outrageous suggestion, he's a good mate, and a little later Noel et al were able to continue to sample the sights and sounds that Sydney has to offer.

While this was going on Chris continued work under the '54 even finding grease points he couldn't remember seeing before. There's a different, and much more comfortable and advantageous, aspect to be being able to walk and work under a car than lying there on your back. Chris, in his inspections and tightenings, had also found the exhaust tailpipe has holes in it. Because of this the tailpipe, and bend over the diff, will now be replaced instead of just a minor repair to relocate the bend away from the body. With Chris finished on the '54 and it down from the hoist Wade, on seeing the cavernous boot(trunk) and the possibility it presented, co-opted Chris into taking a 320 block with him to Phillip Island so it can be reunited with it's owner. I also suggested that Chris might be able to help in another way, I'm very free it seems in offering other peoples services or equipment without being directly involved. This was in some of the woodwork required for The Fossil, to wit the rear floor and the floor to the boot(trunk). Both are timber and Chris, being a builder, with the requisite knowledge and skills was also happy to oblige this request.
And speaking of taking things to Phillip Island. I have "volunteered" to help lessen the luggage load of DAF and friends by transporting part of their load to Phillip Island, their means of transport having shrunk by one following Fleurettes enforced hospitalisation.

Turned then to Roy, still cranking over on the hot-wire but not firing. Checked for spark at the distributor, yes, and at the plugs, also yes. Then checked for fuel, none! If I remember correctly this also happened with Roy on a previous visit some time ago, obviously the gauge isn't accurate. So Mal scoots off for fuel, we dump it in the tank, but still nothing. The pump's not pulling it through from the tank. After pressurising the tank, and starting on the hot-wire, at last success, Roy runs! But still wont start from the dash. Had to leave Wade to it at that point so I'll find out tomorrow what developed.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.26 KB)
226_513fa24ad5190.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (45.47 KB)
226_513fa260060b6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.56 KB)
226_513fa278f1a8b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.10 KB)
226_513fa28cc5ad9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.99 KB)
226_513fa2a074d44.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.02 KB)
226_513fa2bc492c8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.56 KB)
226_513fa2cfb6c08.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.06 KB)
226_513fa2ee41e26.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.69 KB)
226_513fa301c85f0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/3/12 16:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 13th March 2013

Arrived at the workshop to find Wade wasn't there. Oh no, not again I thought! John asked if Wade had said anything about coming in late, but he hadn't. Apparently after I left yesterday Wade had sorted out the electrical problem and taken Roy home again under the auspices of the Complete Packard Customer Assurance Program test drive process. There was a collective sigh of relief when Wade arrived a little later in Roy, and under his own power too. Turned out that yesterday the electrical problem was found to be a blown fuse, but why it blew is unknown. Also yesterday Wade had spent some time with Roy's carburettor, it's not original but thought to be off an early Holden 6 cylinder engine. One of it's features is it has an adjustable main jet but was obviously running way too rich with the plugs sooting up with minimal miles on them. But after a phone call to Tim at Carburettor Service Company Wade now had the good oil on setting it. Engine running at about 2,000 rpm, screw the valve in as far as you can go without the engine quitting, it was running very roughly at that point apparently, then back it off until it's running sweetly. Seems to have worked, because a plug check this morning shows them burning much, much cleaner after the home and return trip overnight. Everything now was just about in order to return Roy to Richard who Wade had had a long talk with last night. Wade advised he was reasonably happy with Roy but for Richard to take Roy for a drive before making a final decision on whether to go to Phillip Island. Last thing to do was put the hubcaps back on because earlier in the week Roy had been treated to new tubes all round in preparation for the trip. As a final touch before re-installing the hubcaps removed a prior owners phone number from inside them and inserted Richards number instead.

While putting the hubcaps back on who should arrive but Mat's Mum! Mat had been re-installing the radio into his '34 and in the process snagged the bourdon tube of the temp gauge and fractured it. Mat had called Wade seeking a spare, but not having one, instead was offered an electric gauge previously used in Old Blue. Mat's Mum was there to pick it up, fortunately she was in Sydney and not out west near Mat, so it all slotted together well. Following Mat's Mum's departure re-installed the hubcaps, in the process tweaking the right rear's clips. Because that one, unlike the others which went on snuggly with a resounding bang, was able to be pulled off by hand! Roy was now ready to ready home so with me following in the Ute, the same one I lent Noel et al, we set out. At one stage Roy was climbing slower and slower up a long hill and I again thought here we go again. But up on the flat it picked up and subsequently completed the journey home. There Wade said that Roy had been coughing, bucking and backfiring, all of which I was oblivious to in the airconditioned splendour of the Ute with the radio turned up! Later still Wade reminded me that the fuel pump in Roy, while only just rebuilt is not the correct one. As a result it's not delivering enough fuel when under load, hence the bad running. Either Roy needs a correct pump, or an auxiliary electric one but there's no time now before the Rally for either of those. Additionally Wade believes the carb also needs a proper overhaul as the accelerator pump also isn't up to scratch. All the problems were masked previously by the lack of compression and it was only when that was addressed that they became apparent. And, after the run over, Wade's recommendation to Richard has changed to not taking Roy to the Rally. Sorry Emily, that you won't have Roy for company, but there'll be plenty of other Packards.

After arriving back at the workshop I went home and picked up the Coupe then returned to the workshop for a few final touches to be administered. These were remounting the left side bonnet(hood) catch and re-securing the left side Onetwenty script. I wasn't confident of doing it myself and volunteered Wade to help me, I'm good at doing that at least! The other side to the matter of re-installing the catches was that I didn't have enough clips to do it. But, I must say Wade's a fast learner, because he volunteered that Rick was a good source of these! He certainly was, had a boxful of different sizes and configurations. Left side catch secured, then checked the right side which was loose and used a few, just a few more to secure it. The right side was a bit tighter to do than the left side necessitating removing the aircleaner and loosening off the bonnet(side) panel for access. Then, on checking the right side Onetwenty script discovered it was short a clip. No problem, although it was a smaller size Rick had that too. The left side Onetwenty script required 2 clips and all that remained then was re-connecting the linkage. I'm proud to say I did that, but only after referencing the right side linkage! Left Wade cleaning Big Red for the Phillip Island trip and next time we meet will be Sunday afternoon at Phillip Island.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.28 KB)
226_514009d63bef1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.72 KB)
226_51400a0676ca8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (52.87 KB)
226_51400a6121573.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.37 KB)
226_51400a7771a0e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (40.83 KB)
226_51400a9c76a7b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (79.72 KB)
226_51400aacc0cd3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.67 KB)
226_51401107b35fa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/3/13 0:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 28th March 2013

I was back at the workshop this morning but Wade wasn't! Funny, because yesterday I went to the workshop, only to give shop dog Misty a bone, and Wade was there. Why funny? Because on Monday evening Wade had called from Holbrook, about 500 kms south, where he and Gina had stopped to overnight on their return from Phillip Island to advise he wouldn't be at the workshop until Thursday. Yesterday, Wednesday, pulling into the workshop carpark saw Big Red was there. And, as I pulled in, Wade rang me wanting to let me know that he was at the workshop and if I wanted to come down? I informed him that I knew he was at the workshop because I was sitting outside behind Big Red! Once inside, after feeding Misty, I explained I was just dropping in and left Wade to tackle Fleurette on his ownsome. This morning it was the other way round and after waiting for a while, called Wade and found out another matter had come up and he wouldn't be in again until after Easter.

But.....Wade had been very busy yesterday. Oil and water drained and sump and head off Fleurette, and a row of rods and pistons on the bench. Two weeks ago the thought had been that the noises coming from the engine were most likely piston related, and most likely a broken piston, but my initial examination of the pistons couldn't see that. Instead I saw wear marks on the each side of the pistons but probably not excessively so(in my very limited opinion). Then on looking more closely at the big ends saw one was destroyed! In fact John told me a little later that two were toast and that furthermore the big ends are babbitted!!!!! I hadn't noticed that they were. John also advised that Wade is now looking for another set of 120 rods and that the crank will need to be inspected and measured to determine it's useability.

On returning home found an email from Noel confirming all the above and more, which I have subtlety edited, see below.

"...Hey Mal,

What's going on??

I looked up Packard Info and noticed that you did not post anything yesterday. Fleurette is worried, even though she was unconscious during surgery.

When I spoke to Dr Wade, he advised me that she has had her head and sump removed, pistons out and the diagnosis is that there is a cancer in the form of white metal there and bearings 4 and 5 are "completely buggered". (not the sort of language doctors normally use so it must have been bad!).

Anyway, pending further investigation, Fleurette will need new bearings, rings, con rods etc, etc. Don't yet know if the pistons can be reused, or whether the bore will require attention
..."

Attach file:

jpg  (48.92 KB)
226_5153bad81b56e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.13 KB)
226_5153bae57f53c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.46 KB)
226_5153baf941096.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.60 KB)
226_5153bb090b7b9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.68 KB)
226_5153bb1ea399d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.43 KB)
226_5153bb44efa31.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/3/27 22:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 2nd April 2013

After bunnies, eggs and chocolate it was time to return to the workshop. There, a big end cap was dropped on Fleurette to see 1) whether that bearing was babbitted like the big ends 2) it's condition and, 2) the journal size. Results being 1) it's a slipper bearing, 2) looks OK/good and, 3) about 2.725" versus 2.75" std. Speaking of which all the big ends were in the vicinity of 2.036" versus 2.09375" std, almost 0.060" under size, the journals that is. Wade also checked the 120 cranks he had "on the shelf". When I say "on the shelf", for cranks that's really shop speak for standing upright, very quietly in a corner, on their flywheel flanges! Also did some housekeeping, while waiting for Noel to arrive. Cleared the tray that had been sitting under Fleurette since her coolant had been drained last week. Also started putting the spare '34 320 engine together instead of having it spread out around the place. Included reinstalling the timing cover to the crankcase and the front motor mount to that. Next step was bolting the Snapey built engine frame to the crankcase. But this necessitated scrambling for bolts and nuts to do so.

During the scrambling who should arrive but Noel. Here to see the damage suffered by Fleurette and to hear from the good Doctor his diagnosis and recommendations for returning her to robust good health. First, more disassembly needs to be performed after the engine comes out. Needs to be pulled down and all components inspected before a full assessment can be made. But......it is hoped there is no major damage. If not, then looking to try and reuse the pistons, hone the bore, new gudgeon(piston) pins, new rings, set of replacement rods, mains and big ends ground on the "on the shelf" crank, new main and big end bearings, etc, etc. Noel thinks he may have gaskets to suit while DAF is on standby as parts supplier. With the engine out and disassembled it'll also be repainted. While the matter of the possibility of the timing being out by a tooth will finally be accessible, discernible and, if so, addressable.

Following Noel's departure bolted the engine frame to the 320 crankcase. Still need to remove the rings from the pistons still attached to the crank and then, very carefully, drop the block back onto the crankcase, bolt it together and put the head on. Had to leave Wade at this juncture for treatment by the fang farrier. Wade was going to busy himself, for the rest of the day, by preparing Fleurette for engine removal later in the week. Oh, and Noel told us the engine was rebuilt by GEM about 25 years ago. For interests sake, googled GEM and Noel, for your information, any warranty expired long, long ago.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.20 KB)
226_515a8f08db7ce.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.29 KB)
226_515a8f1e61e2f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.54 KB)
226_515a8f64e922f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.28 KB)
226_515a8f9ea59e1.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (40.52 KB)
226_515a904e425c8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.87 KB)
226_515a90a5a3765.jpg 800X451 px

Posted on: 2013/4/2 3:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 5th April 2013

While Mal was away Wade was at play, yesterday at the workshop that is, Wednesday there was no Packard work at all. Yesterday Wade had removed Fleurette's front bumper, headlights, bonnet(hood), grill and radiator, carburettor, linkages, water pump, generator, starter motor and more. Today was disconnecting or removing a few things under car including, clutch linkage, throw out bearing retaining spring, a trans selector rod, loosening the trans to bellhousing bolts and the front engine mount to chassis bolts. That done the engine crane was moved in and hooked up to lift the engine out and the trans to bellhousing bolts removed. Required some delicate manouvering to start with because something was snagging and preventing engine egress. Turned out to be two things, the inlet manifold drain pipe and the flexible line to the fuel pump. Those removed, engine removal was then straightforward and was soon swinging in the breeze. During all this Wade received a call from Noel enquiring as to how things were progressing because he hadn't seen an update here in a couple of days! I'm sorry Noel I can only report on what I observe, in most instances that is.
I'll just have to give the crystal ball a real hard rub if you want more than that!
Hope you're satisfied with todays effort!

That aside, once the engine was out it was lowered onto the engine bench for further teardown. Doing this also resulted in a mini flood with water, and oil, previously reservoired in the rear of the engine finding an outlet when the front of the engine was lowered to the bench. More removals, the intake/exhaust manifold unit, the tappet covers, the oil pump and the fuel pump. Harmonic balancer, pulley and timing case also came off. But before the timing gears and chain were removed the hypothesis of timing being out by a tooth was put to the test. Result, it is out by about a tooth! Noel, you'll notice the difference when the timing is right! Then the engine was turned on its side to gain access to the bottom end. Initial result was another flood of water and oil! One main bearing cap, #4, had been removed earlier this week and the others were removed and individually marked, there being no markings on any of them. All except the rear main cap came out easily, it proved very stubborn, but Wade did say at least it was never going to leak! Measured up the shaft again, which confirmed the figures taken on Wednesday, but still requires more accurate readings when delivered to Graeme Wilkins for the machine work required. Also measured up the bores and pistons, the block is sleeved and at 3.25" is standard. First look at the pistons, they seemed OK, but closer inspection showed that #8 as well as #8 bore has more than just scuff marks. Speaking of the pistons, they were also in the wrong way round!
Noel, maybe you do have cause for a warranty claim on GEM?

Attach file:

jpg  (24.37 KB)
226_515e6ea27425b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.48 KB)
226_515e6ebb68afd.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.64 KB)
226_515e6f269fff0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.63 KB)
226_515e6f6e5ba51.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.51 KB)
226_515e70c7cc599.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/5 1:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
Of course it didn't hurt because Fleurette was unconscious!
Re the pistons in "backwards", my comment is GRRR!!! (A bit late to claim against Gem Engines after 25 years!)
That's all I have to say about that!

Posted on: 2013/4/5 19:51

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 9th April 2013

After Wade took a few pic's of The Fossils choke setup, for "Wheels" who is currently working on a '34 and needed some reference info, turned then to Fleurette's block. First the valve keepers, valves and valve springs were removed. Then the camshaft followed by the tappets. The water distribution tube, came out easily. The welch plugs were next, although on the outside they looked OK. But inside it was another matter, plenty of rust and crud, appearances can be deceptive. Lastly the oil gallery plugs with the lower gallery plugs coming out relatively easily. However the upper gallery rear plug was another matter altogether having to be drilled and tapped out, but out it came. The upper gallery front plug was then accessible via the length of the gallery using a looooooong rod to punch it out, it's a plug with a small lubrication hole in it. That done a couple of piston tops were cleaned off, #5 and #8, revealing they were stamped 0.030" over, how about that GEM! The block, replacement crankshaft, the two pistons and rods together with the head were then loaded into the back of the Ute. A trip to Graeme Wilkins engine shop followed where Graham measured up the big end and main bearing crankpins and the bores. Result of this was that the big ends presently at about 0.010" under will be ground to 0.020" under. The mains at 0.020" under will be ground to 0.030" under. And the bores now at 0.030" over will be taken to 0.040" over, mainly because of the scoring in the wall of #8. These numbers are from memory, Wade has the piece of paper with them firmly imprinted, so do not hold me to them! New pistons, pins, gudgeon pin bushings, rings and cam bearings are also required. I believe a set of 120 rods are already on their way to Oz, to replace the babbitted examples which came out of the engine. After leaving Graeme, proceeded to Redistrip where the block and head were left for hot-tanking. Good thing here was that they may be ready by the end of the week or early next week, usually it's at least a couple of weeks wait. And Graeme says he should be ready to go in about 2 weeks so the parts required should be close to or actually be on hand by then. If all this comes together there's a good chance Noel will be able to take Fleurette to Eden, about 500kms south, in June on a Packard Run. Interesting comment, while with Graeme Wilkins, when Wade said he'd done some measuring of the crank and bores using a vernier caliper. He dismissed them as being about as accurate as a wooden ruler. I'm sure they aren't as accurate as Graeme's micrometers and precision dial gauges but surely not that bad. But it made for a good laugh all round!

Attach file:

jpg  (50.23 KB)
226_5163dbf36213f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.99 KB)
226_5163dc002183f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.20 KB)
226_5163dc0cb1eda.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.21 KB)
226_5163dc1f7b6f4.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (47.54 KB)
226_5163dc3d68f4a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.27 KB)
226_5163dc52c3020.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.81 KB)
226_5163dc61abb95.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/9 4:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 10th April 2013

A different tack today, I took my Coupe down to address a "soft" brake pedal. Shortly after returning from the National Rally, when I took the Coupe out to refill with fuel, noticed the pedal was very soft with a lot of travel before any braking effect. Wade suggested to check the master cylinder, which I did, and found only a smidgen of fluid present. Filled the master cylinder, which improved the travel aspect, but it was still "soft". So today with little else, except cleaning Fleurette's engine parts, likely to be on the agenda drove the Coupe down for diagnosis and treatment. After some shuffling of vehicles was able to put the Coupe up on one of Rick's hoists,
Rick. And speaking of the National Rally, another matter of interest was the Coupe running a little hotter than usual on day 1 of the return journey. The trip down, the running around and part of the way home, temperature only ever went past the middle of the gauge, and then only just, on a few occasions. But for first day of the trip home it was running past the middle but nowhere near the top end of the gauge. Checked the oil level at our stopover and found the oil level was down, by about 1 litre(approx 1 quart). Topped up the oil, and for the second day of the trip home, temperature dropped back to "normal".

But back to the problem at hand. Up on the hoist, no apparent leaks from wheel cylinders, flexible house fittings or tee fittings. But, close inspection of the master cylinder revealed a leak from the rear rubber boot. Fortunately Wade had a rebuilt master cylinder on the shelf which could be pressed into service. To remove the master cylinder disconnected the shift linkages from the cranks on the steering column and removed the upper bolt that threads into the reservoir area of the master cylinder. This bolt proved to be Whitworth, necessitating using a shifter aka shifting spanner(crescent wrench) for it's removal. Under car, disconnected then removed the stop light switch and the tee connection at the front of the master cylinder. Then after removing an anti-rattle spring, to improve access, the two lower nuts and bolts holding the master cylinder were undone. After removing the actuating rod and a bit of jiggling, the master cylinder came out. I must say if it had been left to me I would have been disconnecting various linkages that appeared to be "in the way". Instead I found out that wasn't at all necessary and removal was relatively straightforward although a little restricted. New master cylinder in car, reversed the foregoing procedure, refilled the master cylinder and bled the brakes. This entailed me in the drivers seat, with the Coupe up on the hoist, and Wade undercar issuing instructions of "down", whereupon I slowly pushed the brake pedal to the floor. Once down I called out "down" and Wade released brake fluid and air from the right rear wheel cylinder. Repeated this procedure about half a dozen times, then the master cylinder was refilled. Next was left rear, followed by right front and finally left front. Between each bleeding the master cylinder was topped up by Wade climbing a step ladder while the Coupe was perched on the hoist. Quicker to do it that way then wind the Coupe up and down on the hoist. Now had a good hard pedal, but.......there was a small leak from the tee at the front of the master cylinder. A number of tightenings later this appears to have been fixed although I am under instructions to keep a close eye on the master cylinder level and for signs of any leaks on the garage floor.

Towards the end of the brake bleeding procedure had a visit from IanH. Ian has a '36 120 Club Sedan which he's restoring and came over for some advice. Primarily about the woodwork on his car which is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. Although Wade couldn't give any direct advice, never having to address that on his '37 120 when he had it, instead used The Fossil as a point of reference having a similar wooden structure which I think helped Ian. Few other questions and was looking also for an Optima battery in a "faux" case. Was able to put Ian directly in contact with Noel who has taken it upon himself to provide these to PACA members at cost. Upshot being that tomorrow Noel is bringing over an Optima complete with case and Ian is coming back to pick it up. Noel also asked about the can of Bill Hirsch Packard engine green he thought he'd left at the workshop. Except we couldn't find it, I thought Noel might have taken it back again. Not to worry, Noel also thought it might be at Bankstown. But when Noel called later saying he couldn't find it at Bankstown I had to explain, and apologise, because we'd found it at the workshop safely, very safely, put away! Oh, another thing with Ian, I lent him a copy of The Production Packard to help him in his restoration.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.23 KB)
226_51651ed5d4e5c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.24 KB)
226_51651efe9d69f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.57 KB)
226_51651f11b970c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.18 KB)
226_51651f28bf4b4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/10 3:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 11th April 2013

Not much "action" at the workshop, so not much in the way of a post, just cleaning and preparing Fleurette's engine parts for the job ahead. Beforehand though I made a run to procure more Dot 5 brake fluid having almost exhausted reserves yesterday. While I was there first Noel then Ian called in. Noel to pick up the list of parts he needs to procure for the engine rebuild and to drop off the Optima battery and case. Ian to pick up and pay for the Optima battery and case. As well Ian returned The Production Packard, seeing he's sourcing a copy for himself. That reminds me, I have to send Ian an email about where and how to source "The Packard Source List or Sources of Packard Parts and Services" referred to in the publication.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.82 KB)
226_51663121d92c3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.39 KB)
226_51663143566b3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 133 134 135 (136) 137 138 139 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved