Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 356 fanbelts
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Put some chalk or other marking substance on both sides of the belt in one area and let it run a few minutes. Perhaps you will notice that the belt is rubbing on one side more that the other, and that is causing the noise. This would indicate as Dave pointed out that the pulleys are not in alignment with one another. Perhaps the spare water pump pulley was either pressed into to far or not enough and this is causing a small misalignement and belt rub on one side.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Will do next time i fire up the dragon, release the Kraken.
But you'd think these water pump pulleys are identical, and all fit with the same snugness against the water pump hub,
especially with all four bolts tightened.

Thank you, sir.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe those sqeaky belts are too tight. Given the size of that belt there is an acceleration difference when it goes around pulleys.

The old timers I knew set those belts so that you could turn fan with the motor off.

The manual says 25 lbs straight pull on the generator. That is not a lot of tension. You can approximate that with a torque wrench and mark the position with chalk.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, Monsignor Cole. As is, there's p l e n t y of deflection in my fanbelt. I don't want to strain the water pump and generator bearings, and as stout as all these 356-compatible belts are, imagine they have to be exceedingly loose to slip. But if all else fails, i'll play around with the tension, too.

Here's a wee factoid for the rest of you 356ers. The original Packard part # fanbelt is one and the same as the old smooth (not cogged) Gates 676, with dimensions 52 1/2 inches x 1 1/16" x 44 degrees. The NOS smooth Gates 665 i
have and may install IF i can't get this Gates "Green Stripe" cogged belt to hush, is the same width and degree angle as the Gates 676, just 1 1/2 inches (51") shorter,
which will of course adjust away with the generator bracket.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 0:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
!

Took the car out Sunday, St. Patrick's Day, reasoning the smurfs'd be hungover, our horrendous Bay Area traffic lighter than the usual hell. Wonder of wonders, no belt noise. All i did was rub the sides of the belt with a wet bar of soap. 34 miles, and so far, to quote that wonderful 1934 Peter Helck Twelve ad, "Hush."

Thanks again, gentlemen.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is this a replacement belt for the 356,

Attach file:

jpg  (73.73 KB)
1220_516a176b47995.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2013/4/13 21:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm really stretching my memory beyond a reliable limit, but my recollection is that the Gates Truck & Bus belt that fit the 356 was an 85-T. But if you have that 68-T belt in hand, easy enough to make measurements and you'll know.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 22:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved