Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Head Gaskets, coolant flow or no-flow
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Hello everybody,
While I was getting ready to put the heads back on the block I checked the head gaskets to make sure they were correct and they aren't, or are they? On the block and head there are three passages for coolant flow from block to head. They are located at the bottom, a large round passage in the middle and two triangular passages between the outer and inner cylinders. The gasket I removed, a steel gasket, had openings to allow coolant flow at these three passages. The new, composite, gasket does not. In the Service Manual, Engine chapter, page 4, figure 11 shows coolant flowing through these passages. Page 22, figure 51 shows a picture of a head gasket without openings at the three points. Which is correct, flow or no-flow?

Attach file:

jpg  (24.94 KB)
1118_519e7895da08f.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  (25.58 KB)
1118_519e78a68a9f2.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 15:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Gaskets, coolant flow or no-flow
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a good question and one I wondered about when putting an engine together some time back.

I could swear I read an article or report of some kind stating those large holes were closed off for a reason -- I think it had to do with balancing or forcing more flow around a couple of cylinders -- but darned if I remember where or what it was in. I didn't find it in the usual tech bulletins or SC's.

I just looked at some new sets of gaskets and none have holes in that area. One pair I think might be factory, one brand x and two are Felpro.

In looking at some old used gaskets I had hanging on the wall, two pair had the gaskets solid so were blocking flow and one set had about 1/4" punctures thru the center of the embossed triangle areas. On that set it appeared as if someone thought there should be flow so stuck an awl thru to open it up. Maybe Jack or Ross will have a definitive answer.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll try to look at this closer later on tonite when i have more time. But also note the CORNER LARGE holes in the OEM gasket vs the new gasket small holes????

Are there ANY numbers or other identification marks of any kind on the new gaskets?????

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The OLD gaskets:

Are they OEM Packard gaskets????? ID marks on gaskets.
Is this an early 55, late 55, early 56 or late 56 engine???
Engine VN mite help.
IS this ORIGINALY a Cali car??? OR maybe originaly from Alaskaa or someplace that u mite know of. Climate mite have a bearing on this issue.

HISTORY HISTORY History is important to make determinations.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
probably no help, but here is the gasket I got from the Max Merrit kit.

some of the holes are blocked.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.05 KB)
491_519e89c264bb2.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:27
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Was the car ever equiped with a block heater??? Like used in Alaska and Canada.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is there a difference in the headgaskets between the different 55-56 V8 motor variants?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
from the service manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.58 KB)
491_519e8c79268cf.jpg 379X289 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hank's and the SM photo are like the ones I have except for the set with the center of embossed area punched out.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Wow!!! It's like the calvary just came over the hill. I really appreciate all the input. To answer some questions, The block vin matches the car vin 5587-4098. As far as I know the car was purchased in CA and it did not have a block heater when I got it. The old gasket had no P/N markings that I could find, the new one is from an engine overhaul gasket set I purchased from Kanter's last year and it has a mfg P/n of Best 719 on the gasket. The engine has been overhauled prior to my purchase. I can tell because the pistons are stamped .030 on top.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 17:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved